blowing fastrak = moving violation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Be sure to do it TWD first!

Then you get a second chance if things don't work on for a in-person trial!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Car Info: civic
Originally Posted by Alchemy Motors
The one about you not having a plate is BS. That paper that you get from the dealership is what you need to have and it sounds like you had it.

Next time tape that where your plate would go...
yeah, the rear plate one is too, but alas, that's just a 10 dollar fix it ticket. i even ASKED him where i should put that "peice of paper on the motorcycle" and he wans't even able to answer me!

Gagan,

i'm definitely going to do a TBD first and then if that doesn't work, i'll ask for an inperson trial. One question tho regarding extensions.

Can i request for an extension, and then with the extension, send in my TBD? Currently the trial date is set for may 19th, 2008.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 PM

thanks a lot for your guys help. i appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
You need to request an extension within the time period stated in the courtesy notice, or call in an have it done a few days before the may 19th date... I'm guessing may 19th is just a date to see the clerk or is that a real deal trial???
Old 05-02-2008, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
you shoulda just dropped 3 gears and smoked that cop. j/k good luck with it.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I can tell you right now that blowing fast track is NOT a moving violation. You pay the fine and thats it.

I know from experience (friend did it on accident).
Old 05-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
all you have to do is sign up for fastrak now and any toll violation gets charged to your account. even post-violation. show all this to the judge or in the written declaration and it should be good. if not, just do trial de novo and fight in person like everyone else suggested.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
You need to request an extension within the time period stated in the courtesy notice, or call in an have it done a few days before the may 19th date... I'm guessing may 19th is just a date to see the clerk or is that a real deal trial???

May 19th is the real date to for my trial so i can go in and plead "not guilty"

Originally Posted by kspek
you shoulda just dropped 3 gears and smoked that cop. j/k good luck with it.

haha, another friend suggested i did that too. but the bike was so new still i was still in the break-in process....not that i would tho...

Originally Posted by brucelee
I can tell you right now that blowing fast track is NOT a moving violation. You pay the fine and thats it.

I know from experience (friend did it on accident).

That's what i had thought. That i got cited for it, and i'll just wait for it in the mail and be done. who would've known it was 1 point! + 171 dollar bail!

Originally Posted by Yin
all you have to do is sign up for fastrak now and any toll violation gets charged to your account. even post-violation. show all this to the judge or in the written declaration and it should be good. if not, just do trial de novo and fight in person like everyone else suggested.

That's a good suggestion! i will definitely do that if my written by declaration finds me guilty.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Hrm, in my TBD, should i mention that i feel that i should have been cited for cvc 23302 since it best matched the description on the ticket and the vc in the dmv law book?

Or state that i went through fastrak by accident not realizing i had not tranferred my transponder to my motorcycle that day, but regardless since i'm a first time violator, i should only have to register my new motorcycle to the account and be post-charged with the 4 dollar amount?

I have a feeling stating both reasons on my same TBD isn't going to do me anygood.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Not sure about stating what you should have been cited for.

It's not your job to properly cite. That is the cops job, and it sounds like he cited you for the wrong thing.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 328i
use the TA tips to fight your current citations but i wouldn't suggest what you should have been cited for (sounds like pleading guilty to me)..

i think your best bet is to lay out the facts: you were on dealer plates because it was a new bike, you forgot your transponder.. after the fact you went on fastrak and retroactively paid the toll.. you think it should be a non moving toll violation, can the court rule in your favor? and if TA has specific tips for figthing what you were cited, use those too.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Don't say how you "feel." Give them facts. Explain that the motorcycle was purchased on X date, (provide a receipt) and show that the officer cited you in blatant disregard of this information. In addition, state that you were incorrectly cited for not obeying signs when you are a motorcycle and therefore exempt from the toll in accordance with the above statute.

Enclose the above information with a copy of the ticket, your receipt, and if you have any way to show that the plates did not arrive until after the ticket was issued. Also, you can show proof that you had fastrack at the time, you can weave this in as well.

Don't make any assertions that you went through an incorrect lane. Agian, don't tell them what you did, tell them why what the officer did was wrong. One more thing: like he said above, don't state what you think you should have been cited for.

Last edited by musashi; 05-02-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
Most likely when you are standing in front of the judge, he wont give a **** what you have to say...

i.e. my state ref ticket.

I had all my state ref papers to show the judge that I went to state ref and I passed, and that my ticket should be dismissed. He didnt give a **** and still gave me the ticket.

**** him..
Old 05-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by kspek
you shoulda just dropped 3 gears and smoked that cop.
GTA4 style ftw!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by nicknaz
use the TA tips to fight your current citations but i wouldn't suggest what you should have been cited for (sounds like pleading guilty to me)..

i think your best bet is to lay out the facts: you were on dealer plates because it was a new bike, you forgot your transponder.. after the fact you went on fastrak and retroactively paid the toll.. you think it should be a non moving toll violation, can the court rule in your favor? and if TA has specific tips for figthing what you were cited, use those too.

thanks for the tips! i'm still pending on my "email account" after payment sent to TA. I paid the same day i registered, have yet to receive anything so far. been like 4 days now so i'm still waiting to email TA directly to ask for help.

Originally Posted by musashi
Don't say how you "feel." Give them facts. Explain that the motorcycle was purchased on X date, (provide a receipt) and show that the officer cited you in blatant disregard of this information. In addition, state that you were incorrectly cited for not obeying signs when you are a motorcycle and therefore exempt from the toll in accordance with the above statute.

Enclose the above information with a copy of the ticket, your receipt, and if you have any way to show that the plates did not arrive until after the ticket was issued. Also, you can show proof that you had fastrack at the time, you can weave this in as well.

Don't make any assertions that you went through an incorrect lane. Agian, don't tell them what you did, tell them why what the officer did was wrong. One more thing: like he said above, don't state what you think you should have been cited for.
I've already checked the plate envelope and it doesn't have a posted date as to when it went out. So i can only go by the date of when the registration was issued by dmv which was 2/24/08. It could have been mailed out on THAT day, or anytime thereafter. Given that fact, i had not recieved the plates at my work until the following monday. It was sent out via first class mail through the government, so how would that hold up to the judge? I've checked the usps website and it states that first class mail generally takes 1-3 days but there no guarantee on that, and i've recieved **** hella late before in the past through 'first class mail'.

Originally Posted by wrxguy
Most likely when you are standing in front of the judge, he wont give a **** what you have to say...

i.e. my state ref ticket.

I had all my state ref papers to show the judge that I went to state ref and I passed, and that my ticket should be dismissed. He didnt give a **** and still gave me the ticket.

**** him..
yeh i remember that. thank god i dont have the same sf judge and i'll be doing a trial by declaration, on top of that i'll be requesting for a trial de novo if the first one rules me as guilty.

edited for my awesome spelling

Last edited by AzN121184; 05-02-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: blowing fastrak = moving violation?