Benchmade Knives

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Benchmade Knives

My bro and I were both looking at a couple of these, but they are really expensive. This thread may be silly, but I figured someone on here mite know if it's possible to get them for really good deals in oregon since they are manufactured there, and everybody is into outdoors activites, also they have no sales tax. I go up there semi often, any advice?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
talk to pho
Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 07 legacy
i just bought a griptillian and it was pretty pricey but the quality is just amazing
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
im sure you've heard this everywhere, you pay for quality. lol and for the engineering and materials/design that goes into benchmade products, its well worth it. Especially when you are talking about D-2 steel and etc. i would love a presidio or a morpho or bm-51, too bad the last 2 arent legal EDC's. not sure what your preferences are or what you will use the knife on, what models do you have in mind?

if you want to give it a try, the best method to try and talk them into making a deal with you is by contacting them. shoot them an email asking about picking it up instore or 'in factory', what ever you want to call it. benchmade has pretty good customer service too, i got a free beanie and some high quality stickers just by shooting them an email.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
No Help to you: i have a mini-dejavoo. great feel. worth the doa.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
If you buy from Benchmade they will charge you the full MSRP but you MIGHT be able to finagle a minor custom job. I had them assemble a 942SBT Osbourne with a blade that was not offered with the certain handle color I wanted as well as the anodized aluminum spine from yet a different color handle. They assembled it the way I asked for it and then made it available with the proper blade the following year. I ended up with a 942 Osborne with a black coated semi-serrated blade, black aluminum milled handle, and the pink/red anodized aluminum spine from the 940 Osborne of similar design.

I also keep a satin finished semi-serrated 550SHG griptillian with a standard black handle as my heavy duty day-to-day knife. Oh, and an emergency 30200 Rescue Hook/LED/glass breaker which I get to use at work cutting people's clothes off. (I'm an EMT)

I've found the best prices to be available at www.knifecenter.com for some reason. But google shopping search or bing search by microsoft will give you a decent chance to get a better deal. My advice is to go to a brick and mortar store like ArmorGeddon in Vallco shopping mall or some place like that with a full lineup of the Benchmade products, find the knife that you like and want to buy, and then grab it cheap on the net. The one thing to keep in mind is that their lifetime guarantee doesn't cover the integrity of the black coating, so if you want to use this knife day in and day out for various things and have it look nice and shiny then stay away from the black blades. This is the reason that my griptillian is satin finish and my good looking knife is the black coated one.

Oh, and just in case you can't tell already, I HIGHLY recommend their products. I had a knife break on me at work, and even though I was using it to pry at something which you should never use a knife to do, they replaced the blade for me and mailed it back sharp as the day I bought it for $5.

Just for fun, here is a direct print I did on photo paper of my two knives.

Last edited by Gancherov; 03-11-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:10 AM

I was looking at griptilian and mini, both. I'd like something similar but maybe a slightly larger blade for camping, not necc. edc knife. Something that is really sturdy and can take some hits. I also would love to get that infidel auto knife if it's even possible (legal to buy), just for the fun factor but obviously i'd never pay the price they cost.........well unless i hit the lotto. Anyway my bro is looking at a griptilian and something else, was just wondering if it'd be worth it to try and stop somewhere around there when im that way basically..........rather than trying to get raped at some knife store here, or online. Anyways it seems it mite be worth a shot.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
I've found the best prices to be available at www.knifecenter.com for some reason. But google shopping search or bing search by microsoft will give you a decent chance to get a better deal. My advice is to go to a brick and mortar store like ArmorGeddon in Vallco shopping mall or some place like that with a full lineup of the Benchmade products, find the knife that you like and want to buy, and then grab it cheap on the net.

Oh, and just in case you can't tell already, I HIGHLY recommend their products. I had a knife break on me at work, and even though I was using it to pry at something which you should never use a knife to do, they replaced the blade for me and mailed it back sharp as the day I bought it for $5.
yup thats wat i tell everyone to do, go to a store, handle the knife first hand and see what is most compatible for you. tell them you will be back for it, but go home and buy it online LOL.

and there is proof again that they have excellent customer service.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
I was looking at griptilian and mini, both. I'd like something similar but maybe a slightly larger blade for camping, not necc. edc knife. Something that is really sturdy and can take some hits. I also would love to get that infidel auto knife if it's even possible (legal to buy), just for the fun factor but obviously i'd never pay the price they cost.........well unless i hit the lotto. Anyway my bro is looking at a griptilian and something else, was just wondering if it'd be worth it to try and stop somewhere around there when im that way basically..........rather than trying to get raped at some knife store here, or online. Anyways it seems it mite be worth a shot.
if you want the OTF Infidel, i have someone who might be selling theirs. its a great knife, of course not for carrying, only possession in your very own home.

go check on their website and look at their catalogs, theres the regular consumer catalog then the profesionals.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Check out bladeforums.com if you don't mind buying used. Sometimes you can find really good deals.

A Benchmade mini-AFCK was my first "real" knife, and unless you've owned something of comparable quality before, the difference between a Benchmade and some cheapie knife you get at Big 5 is mind-blowing. I never knew that a folder could feel so solid, nor did I know that a blade could be so sharp.

Personally, I prefer Spydercos to Benchmades (lower prices, usually, and comparable if not better materials, and I like the designs better), but both are really good, and would serve you well. I personally EDC a Spyderco Calypso 3, and feel like it's a good size - similar to the Benchmade mini-AFCK except wider. I bought someone a mini-Griptilian as a gift, and thought it was really nice too. The AXIS lock is great.

I think you owe it to yourself to check out other brands as well. Since you're going to be dropping a significant amount of cash for a knife of this caliber, you might as well consider all options before taking the plunge.

And, if you think Benchmades are nice, wait 'til you get to handle a Chris Reeve Sebenza...holy crap.
________
Milf Hardcore

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
I have an older Emerson design Benchmade with a tanto blade. It's been abused to hell and back and keeps going. It was even left underwater for almost a week. Cleaned it up and good as new. Awesome knives.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I've spent WAY too much on knives in the past. I EDC a pre-axis AFCK only because it is old as hell. If it was still new, I would be afraid to use it as much as I do only because of how much it cost. If I were to buy a new everyday knife, it would be a Spyderco Delica Wave because I wouldn't feel bad about putting it to hard use.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Unit 91
I have an older Emerson design Benchmade with a tanto blade. It's been abused to hell and back and keeps going. It was even left underwater for almost a week. Cleaned it up and good as new. Awesome knives.
Ah, the old 970. I loved that knife. Sold it to get a Emerson Commander. Sold the Commander after I got the CQC-8 which is now a shelf queen. Never should have sold any of those...
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by ryball
Ah, the old 970. I loved that knife. Sold it to get a Emerson Commander. Sold the Commander after I got the CQC-8 which is now a shelf queen. Never should have sold any of those...
Emerson stuff is awesome.

Mine is a satin finish blade with both the Emerson logo and Bali-Song butterfly. Apparently they're hard to find that way. :shrug:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Unit 91
Emerson stuff is awesome.

Mine is a satin finish blade with both the Emerson logo and Bali-Song butterfly. Apparently they're hard to find that way. :shrug:
Yeah, back in the day, everyone had a hard on for the black-t finish. Plain or combo edge?

Quick Reply: Benchmade Knives