Bay Area Subaru auto-x club?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX 5 speed, Aspen White
Bay Area Subaru auto-x club?

I met a guy that lives in my apartment that is part of a Bay Area BMW club that holds auto-x events ( twice a month ) and driving clinics. Is there a Bay Area Subaru club that does this kind of stuff or do I just need to join the SCCA?

Thanks
Leon
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I wish i-club had this. I got to the UFO events in Marina. www.norcalufo.org
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 AM

Are they pretty packed? How much racing time do you get? What do I need to do to sign up?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:24 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
The BMWCCA has a budget for the SF region that approaches the hundred+ thousands of dollars area, as does the SCCA, they both have timing equipment and the bank to pay rental on empty parking lots, multi-million dollar liability insurance policies and stuff like that.

Subaru clubs on the other hand are essentially little more than internet chat groups that occasionally get together to eat donuts or for a BBQ- modding and "bling" factor is much more respected than driving skills here.

In fact when the notion of holding an autocross with the next year annual meet came up, Subaru went to the SCCA first-

I'd say if you want to autocross around here, join the SCCA.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM

lol,

The whole reason I brought this up is because I met a guy in the BMWCCA. He lives in my apartment complex. He loves doing autocross with them and he told me that I could join even though I don't own a WRX. They also have a Car Control Clinic that look very educational, atleast to me. Maybe I should just join this one, but it would be cool if we had a Subaru specific club. I just have a feeling that I'm going to get flamed because I don't have a BMW, but oh well, i don't care.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:47 AM

I was a member there for a couple of years after I sold my 635- I'd say its probably one of if not the best car club in terms of events to do, track days, TSD rallies and a good magazine, stuff you'd like a car club to provide.

And yeah, they'll let you join and go to events, but after a while hanging out without a bimmer you will feel a bit left out as there is a certain amount of subliminal snobbery in that bunch.

But if you can put up with it they probably give a bit more ROI than SCCA unless you are really passionate about autocross, SCCA has a lot more autocrosses, and BMWCCA doesn't even do rallycrosses.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:51 AM

From what the guy in my apartment complex was telling me, it seemed like the SCCA events were way over crowded and you didn't really get alot of actual track time. What is your opinion?

Rallycross would be freakin cool. I read something that you need alot done to your car to be able to participate. If this is true what would it take to do this?

Sorry I just moved here to California and we didn't have this kind of stuff in New Mexico so Im a total noob.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Polish, I'd be down to join with you. Those driving clinics look like a great learning opportunity and fun as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by chubs22
Polish, I'd be down to join with you. Those driving clinics look like a great learning opportunity and fun as well.
go to Doc Wong's clinics, theyre completely free......
Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 AM

ah but you get what you pay for- not to put them down, but Doc Wong gives you a half-hour of classroom theory then takes you on a brisk tour on public roads, you put up with bicyclists, oncoming traffic and fenceposts (I've seen one or two of the later taken out on Doc Wong "clinics").

A good time for sure, but no comparison to track time with a skilled driver riding shotgun giving tips and pointers.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Polish
From what the guy in my apartment complex was telling me, it seemed like the SCCA events were way over crowded and you didn't really get alot of actual track time. What is your opinion?

Yeah I got that from both BMW and SCCA Auto-x. Rallycross also suffers from "little seat time for a day invested", but there isn't much you really need to do to your car, just be willing to get it dirty.
For my money I much prefer road rally and performance rally, which means hours or even days driving, although performance rally is racing and therefore VERY expensive.

Rallycross would be freakin cool. I read something that you need alot done to your car to be able to participate. If this is true what would it take to do this?
Really like I said almost nothing, its nice if you have your own helmet, but they have loaners- and better tires will give you better times, but I find a loose surface gives a lot better "close to the edge" control experience, and I find it a lot more enjoyable than squealing tires on a parking lot. Sadly our closest venue is at Thunderhill, a good 2+ hours up north in the central valley (read "furnace" in the summertime)

Sorry I just moved here to California and we didn't have this kind of stuff in New Mexico so Im a total noob.
All valid questions, welcome to CA
Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 AM

That would be cool. Here is the link to the local BMW club.
http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/

You have to become a member which is $40 a year. I am going to go to the autocross meet on Aug 20th, Sept 9th and then the Car Control Clinic on Oct. 8th.

The CCC is between $80-$90 and the autocross events I like are $50.

Originally Posted by rau
go to Doc Wong's clinics, theyre completely free......
Do you have more information on this?

Originally Posted by psoper
Really like I said almost nothing, its nice if you have your own helmet, but they have loaners- and better tires will give you better times, but I find a loose surface gives a lot better "close to the edge" control experience, and I find it a lot more enjoyable than squealing tires on a parking lot. Sadly our closest venue is at Thunderhill, a good 2+ hours up north in the central valley (read "furnace" in the summertime)
I thought you need a roll bar, fire extinguishers, etc. I am totally down to drive 2 hrs to do a rallycross. You said you have to join the SCCA for that right?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:06 PM

I thought you need a roll bar, fire extinguishers, etc. I am totally down to drive 2 hrs to do a rallycross. You said you have to join the SCCA for that right?
No you just pay a bit more to enter, the reason you need to be in SCCA for their auto-x is that so many people came out that was the only way they could keep the number of entrants manageable, we have no such problems with Rally-x, our problem with that is how to get more people participating.

http://www.sfrscca.org/RallyX/
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Originally Posted by psoper
ah but you get what you pay for- not to put them down, but Doc Wong gives you a half-hour of classroom theory then takes you on a brisk tour on public roads, you put up with bicyclists, oncoming traffic and fenceposts (I've seen one or two of the later taken out on Doc Wong "clinics").

A good time for sure, but no comparison to track time with a skilled driver riding shotgun giving tips and pointers.
Ya from what i gathered for Doc Wong was very limited instruction. They'd give a lecture in the parking lot and then they just set you loose on a drive. I think the best way to learn good driving technique is to have an experienced driver sit with you and teach you as you drive.

I'm also considering the driving school up at thunderhill. Anyone have any experience with that?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:10 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I went to a BMWCCA car control clinic in Feb. 2005. That was probably the best $70 I had spent on my car. Great instructors, good food, good people(for the most part), and a lot of fun!

Quick Reply: Bay Area Subaru auto-x club?