Originally Posted by flatline
Hook me up too!!! Please?
I'll see what I can do
Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
I am looking online, I see a new PS3 80 GB is $240 and the 120 GB is $300.

Q: For a game console, why would I need so much memory, I would expect 40GB to be enough, what is the extra space used for?

Q: Is this a true Linux box, does it have a full kernel, or just what's required to run the game console? I'm asking because I've added the full Linux kernel to my G1 and it's really cool haha.

Thanks
1. Yes, you can have only 40GB if you want, but if you own a lot of games, and every games requires some space for game files ( some in the range of 3GB ) then you may want more space. the HDD in interchangeable with anyone from a laptop (2.5" SATA ) mine is 320GB

2. There are people running ful version of Ubuntu/Fedora RedHat on their PS3's. If you want to do this, do not get a Slim as they do not have the capabilites to load a Linux OS. Find a used one.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 AM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
I am looking online, I see a new PS3 80 GB is $240 and the 120 GB is $300.

Q: For a game console, why would I need so much memory, I would expect 40GB to be enough, what is the extra space used for?

Q: Is this a true Linux box, does it have a full kernel, or just what's required to run the game console? I'm asking because I've added the full Linux kernel to my G1 and it's really cool haha.

Thanks
1. The main reason for the bigger hard drives is because a lot of games come with required installs to cut down load times and other things. Sometimes there 20MBs or so, other times they're 5GBs. Once you start picking up more than one game, it really starts to add up. Also there's a ton of games you can download from PSN and there's demos and other media that can be stored on the PS3's hard drive. The benefit with the PS3 hard drives, is that they're 2.5" SATA hard drives typically used in laptops. Right now you can pick up a 500GB hard drive for $100 or less and have enough room for a very long time.

2. As far as running Linux, I've never tried it but have heard of people doing it. I don't think there are too many people running Linux though. Here's a few links that will hopefully help you out.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=Linux

And if you were looking at picking up the Slim PS3 but want to run Linux, you'll want to look at the original Fat PS3's. The Slim doesn't have the option to install another OS system.

Edit: hahahahahahaha Had a feeling rau would beat me to it

Last edited by 04Impreza; 10-18-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: rau's lightning fast
Old 10-18-2009, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Vince25RS
Dude Croatia is my favorite course it hella reminds me of Woodside and the road to Stinson's beach in Marin.
Yea I see that, but I seem to hit those concrete blocks a lot.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by 04Impreza
1. The main reason for the bigger hard drives is because a lot of games come with required installs to cut down load times and other things. Sometimes there 20MBs or so, other times they're 5GBs. Once you start picking up more than one game, it really starts to add up. Also there's a ton of games you can download from PSN and there's demos and other media that can be stored on the PS3's hard drive. The benefit with the PS3 hard drives, is that they're 2.5" SATA hard drives typically used in laptops. Right now you can pick up a 500GB hard drive for $100 or less and have enough room for a very long time.

2. As far as running Linux, I've never tried it but have heard of people doing it. I don't think there are too many people running Linux though. Here's a few links that will hopefully help you out.

And if you were looking at picking up the Slim PS3 but want to run Linux, you'll want to look at the original Fat PS3's. The Slim doesn't have the option to install another OS system.

Edit: hahahahahahaha Had a feeling rau would beat me to it
But you gave more info
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Thanks guys, my son has been bothering me for a PS3 and I'm trying to educate myself.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 2.5 RS
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Yea I see that, but I seem to hit those concrete blocks a lot.
If you play GT a lot you should left foot brake in some turns and also set the buttons to GT style and use the custom settings. For Croatia i use; Gear ratio: all the way left; Down-force: all the way left; Suspension: one to the right; Ride Height: one left: and Differential: second to the left. Try that and tell me what you think, also the co-pilot helps out a lot since they are reading in Meters shouldn't be too hard (given im only racing on Serious)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 AM

Car Info: white 03 wrx
GAMES DONT POP UP ANYMORE ON THE HOME NETWORK SCREEN WHEN I POP THEM IN !! NEITHER DO aNY OTHER DISCS CDS DVDS where do i go to get that fixed asap??? i just moved into a new apartment and am dying of no boost. my car is in the shop and i have no boost and i am a gt30 junkie.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by freshrex
GAMES DONT POP UP ANYMORE ON THE HOME NETWORK SCREEN WHEN I POP THEM IN !! NEITHER DO aNY OTHER DISCS CDS DVDS where do i go to get that fixed asap??? i just moved into a new apartment and am dying of no boost. my car is in the shop and i have no boost and i am a gt30 junkie.
If your PS3 is out of warranty:
There is a guy in SJ that fixes them and he can do them on the spot (with an extra cost) but he did mine and works fine http://ktelectronicrepairs.com/

Tell him Vince sent you he will take good care of you
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
VIP Member

If you play GT a lot you should left foot brake in some turns and also set the buttons to GT style and use the custom settings. For Croatia i use; Gear ratio: all the way left; Down-force: all the way left; Suspension: one to the right; Ride Height: one left: and Differential: second to the left. Try that and tell me what you think, also the co-pilot helps out a lot since they are reading in Meters shouldn't be too hard (given im only racing on Serious)
I've been beating Croatia on Extreme until I didn't play it for a short time and then I was just barely beating it on Serious.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM

I've been beating Croatia on Extreme until I didn't play it for a short time and then I was just barely beating it on Serious.
Damn you prolly will beat me, im having a hard time not drifting with hella angle since it HELLA slows me down
Old 10-20-2009, 05:06 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Vince, I tried out your settings one time yesterday in Croatia. Pretty good. I cut 1 sec. off my best. I could have cut another one or two more had I not caught up with a McRae car. I had to slow down to avoid hitting him.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM
VIP Member

Damn you prolly will beat me, im having a hard time not drifting with hella angle since it HELLA slows me down
I end up sliding still. It's killing my time. We should be able to download each other's ghost.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Vince, I tried out your settings one time yesterday in Croatia. Pretty good. I cut 1 sec. off my best. I could have cut another one or two more had I not caught up with a McRae car. I had to slow down to avoid hitting him.
Increase the difficulty and you won't really catch anybody.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Increase the difficulty and you won't really catch anybody.
That'll be next.

Quick Reply: Bay Area PS3 owners