View Poll Results: BAIC opinion:
Buy a sport bike
21.74%
Upgrade car
15.22%
Save
63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

BAIC opinion: Upgrade car, buy a bike, or save?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:47 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Can i just say +1 again? And rofl, burried in a jar. And then some lucky gardener will dig it up and be like yeeeee and never come back :P
Old 09-10-2006, 01:02 AM

Car Info: 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Buy the bike.
Have fun while you're here.
Get all or most of your money back from selling it.
Put it in some sort of interest-raising fund.
Enjoy extra money when you're back.
?????.
Profit.

Check your PMs, I linked you a nice bike like mine.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:17 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
put the 6k in a 2 year CD ... iono u can check with the bank, maybe ur get better rates cause your in the service.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:05 AM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Originally Posted by Jakes02
BING!!! hit the nail on the head. I don't think you have to worry about another great depression in the next few years. FDIC means you are insured so what you put in is what you get, + the interest of your balance. SAVE your money, if you want a bike then get one when you get back. It is pointless to buy a bike and not be able to use it. Put your money in a CD or a high yield account. These options are much better than sticking money in a jar and burying it or wherever you'd be keeping it. What would happen if you stashed your money under your mattress and your house burned down or someone stole it? It would be gone. If it's in the bank it is insured.

I hope you're kidding, right? Although I don't want to send this poll to Teh Politics bin, all that crap you are posting on this forum is speculation. You are putting your trust in a banking system that you don't even know is true. You don't THINK there will be a GD in the next few years. Well lemme tell you something, neither did the people back when the GD happened, either. You are foolish for thinking you can PREDICT one. If there was infact another one, do you think the banking systems could really insure your money? C'mon, who are you fooling? They wouldn't give a rat's *** if you got your money or not.

That aside, thank you for taking the time to post your input.

For everyone else that brings up, "Why Smitty should put his money in a bank because it's safer," I'm not going to let the bank hold my money. It is against my moral beliefs to charge anyone interest or allow interest to be charged. That's great if you guys do that, but I will not. Did you notice that wasn't 1 of the 3 origional options on this poll? I'm not going to be one of those people banging on the doors of the bank trying to get my money out when the market collapses. (And yes, it will, it's only a matter of time. History has proven that the average expectancy for a democracy is 200 years. What are we at? You do the math.)
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Car Info: silverthorne 2000 2.5rs
Thanks for making your beliefs a little more clear, Smitty.

So what bike are you getting?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 PM

bikes will hold their values well, unless some idiot backs his car into it while parked or you hit an unexpected patch of gravel. That pretty much kills that deal. Save the money (under you mattess if that's where you prefer).
Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Don't toss money away, save. You have already said why it is unwise to mod your car now (you won't get anything back now or later).

Save your money unless you really want the bike. From what I hear, bikes are awesome on the track. But on the street, they are questionable.A friend of mine passed away a year and 1 month ago because some drunk guy took him out.

No matter how fun it is to ride a bike, it is dangerous to do so on the street in traffic. Trucks (and inattentive drivers) will make lane changes into you because bikes are much less visible than cars. It is not worth the risk in my opinion. A daredevil acquaintance of mine was a sponsored motocross rider but even he does not dare ride bikes on the street, only the track.

Backroads w/ little traffic might be a different story, but there are crazies everywhere and if you value your life you should think twice about going the bike route.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
be sure and wear a helmet so when the sky starts falling it doesn't hurt you as much.

sheesh.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Where's the option for don't go on a mission!!!!!one!!!!elven!!!1!

(sorry grew up mormon ftl).
Old 09-11-2006, 03:03 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by STiYLIN
Where's the option for don't go on a mission!!!!!one!!!!elven!!!1!

(sorry grew up mormon ftl).
The same reason I didn't put an option to kill all of the apostates.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Save it. If you put the money into a bike and can not sell it what will you do? If you mod your car and then it sits for two years, how will it perform and what extra stuff will you need to do to it when you get back? I would save it, and by the time you get back there will be new stuff out and you can fix the parts that went bad with the car just sitting by adding better parts.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:28 PM

Car Info: '08 FSXT (Aspen White)
Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
And yes, it will, it's only a matter of time. History has proven that the average expectancy for a democracy is 200 years. What are we at? You do the math.
And that's not speculation? Speculation occurs anytime you talk about future events...

One other thing to consider. Even if you keep your money at home, you run the risk of losing money. It's called inflation risk. In two years, your $2,000 will be worth ~$1,900 when you get back (inflation adjustment based on 2003-2005 historical data). Since it's historical data, the actual could be more or less (I can only speculate).

So, choose the option that's most enjoyable/appealing to you right now (time value of money), because you'll most likely lose money either way.

-Mike-
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by CreoWRX
And that's not speculation? Speculation occurs anytime you talk about future events...

One other thing to consider. Even if you keep your money at home, you run the risk of losing money. It's called inflation risk. In two years, your $2,000 will be worth ~$1,900 when you get back (inflation adjustment based on 2003-2005 historical data). Since it's historical data, the actual could be more or less (I can only speculate).

So, choose the option that's most enjoyable/appealing to you right now (time value of money), because you'll most likely lose money either way.

-Mike-
No, it's not, actually. I'm taking historical facts and applying them. That's not speculation. That's called learning from history, those who fail to learn from history are bound to repeat it. I'm sure you've heard that statement. Speculation is assuming something, or never coming to a conclusive point pulling from insuffient evidence. I believe history is sufficient enough. Speculation as described in the dictionary...

Main Entry: spec·u·late
Pronunciation: 'spe-ky&-"lAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
Etymology: Latin speculatus, past participle of speculari to spy out, examine, from specula lookout post, from specere to look, look at -- more at SPY
intransitive verb
1 a : to meditate on or ponder a subject : REFLECT b : to review something idly or casually and often inconclusively
2 : to assume a business risk in hope of gain; especially : to buy or sell in expectation of profiting from market fluctuations
transitive verb
1 : to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence : THEORIZE <speculated that a virus caused the disease>
2 : to be curious or doubtful about : WONDER <speculates whether it will rain all vacation>
synonym see THINK
- spec·u·la·tor /-"lA-t&r/ noun

Thanks for your input though. Other than that, you do make some very good points.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:52 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
No, it's not, actually. I'm taking historical facts and applying them. That's not speculation. That's called learning from history, those who fail to learn from history are bound to repeat it. I'm sure you've heard that statement. Speculation is assuming something, or never coming to a conclusive point pulling from insuffient evidence. I believe history is sufficient enough. Speculation as described in the dictionary...

Main Entry: spec·u·late
Pronunciation: 'spe-ky&-"lAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
Etymology: Latin speculatus, past participle of speculari to spy out, examine, from specula lookout post, from specere to look, look at -- more at SPY
intransitive verb
1 a : to meditate on or ponder a subject : REFLECT b : to review something idly or casually and often inconclusively
2 : to assume a business risk in hope of gain; especially : to buy or sell in expectation of profiting from market fluctuations
transitive verb
1 : to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence : THEORIZE <speculated that a virus caused the disease>
2 : to be curious or doubtful about : WONDER <speculates whether it will rain all vacation>
synonym see THINK
- spec·u·la·tor /-"lA-t&r/ noun

Thanks for your input though. Other than that, you do make some very good points.
rofl. Smitty you make me laugh :P
Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 PM

Car Info: '08 FSXT (Aspen White)
Originally Posted by pwn
rofl. Smitty you make me laugh :P
+1

I'm taking historical facts and applying them. That's not speculation.
All I can really say now is... Good luck in your future endeavors.

-Mike-

Quick Reply: BAIC opinion: Upgrade car, buy a bike, or save?