BAIC Money Thread. Investments ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
BAIC Money Thread. Investments ?

So what would you do with 50K

My dad and I was talking about what the retirement future will bring for my generation. (I'm 35) He said that its looking bleek for us as we dont have the savings or retirement plans that used to be there. Companies just do not stay around that long like they used too.

So the housing market is a bust.... Least for now. I figure 2009-2010 will be a good buy in year for investment properties.

Stock market ? I already have some e-trading going on. I have not lost anything but its not returning as much as I'd like to reinvest back in.
I have been staying tech stocks. I think like AMD would be a good buy right now at $4.50 a share. They will cut back and streamline ATi and their stock should climb back up.

Classic car market? I see this growing. The car market fell soon as the housing market went off. Now the housing market fell I see and know allot of investors picking up the old classic cars again. I can see the value rise on older ferrari's and simlar cars. Some cars two-three months ago could have been hand for 40k are now heading into the 58k-60k range,

So is that going to be the next big thing?

Motorcycle market is starting to grow. Been looking for something there. As long as current gas prices stay the same, I could see money to be made there.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:14 PM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
funny, cause my grandfather has been talking to me about this stuff for the past 2 weeks. he is still set on investing in real estate (i guess since he's been doin it since he was 30, now 70) I dont know s*** about the stock market so im thinkin of following in my grandfathers footsteps.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:32 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
So your "what car to buy: EVO MR, EXIGE" thread fell through? haha

buy some classic Ducatis, have fun with them, then profit in 10 years
Old 07-13-2008, 03:50 PM

No it didnt fall thru...

I think I'm going to end up with a MR then the lotus. I think the lotus will be too small.

I have a bunch of vintage ducatis. Some will be shown at Motogp on Ducati island.
I think my hotwheels will be worht more then those motorcycles in the future...lol But I have over 4000 hotwheels in the package,
Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Car Info: '08 cadillac cts
Oil? I know Tesoro is at its 52 week low period currently I believe.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
I'm not familiar with finance or the stock market. But I work for a software company called Sybase and the stock has gone up by $10 dollars over the last year. It's a rapidly growing software company with better-than-expected quarterly earnings
Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by Tdub
Oil? I know Tesoro is at its 52 week low period currently I believe.
Tesoro should not be confused with oil. They run refineries and the reason they are at a low is something called a "crack spread". In short it is the difference between what crude oil sells at and what a refinery can make. The thought is that with increasing oil prices Tesoro's profit margins will shrink. In my opinion the sell off is over done, but you should not view that as a suggestion to buy or sell the security.

I work for an investment management firm. We run several hedge funds and a couple of mutual funds. If you want a good stock market primer go read The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. Otherwise I would say index funds for most investors. Low cost, low maintenance... although the predictions for stock market returns over the next decade are much lower than the historical returns so your results may vary.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
I'm not familiar with finance or the stock market. But I work for a software company called Sybase and the stock has gone up by $10 dollars over the last year. It's a rapidly growing software company with better-than-expected quarterly earnings
Not bad. Mine is up $26 over the year (about 45%).

--m
Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
i'd say just invest in a CD account. say about 6months to a year.. yea the return isn't much... but its a guaranteed return at the least..
Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 AM

Car Info: bici putas
well being 24 is a little different when you take into account the advance of mid-east nuclear interest, the ridiculous population growth (even with the one child cap) in China coupled with their industrial revolution, the United States of America's F^CKED UP SYSTEM THAT ONLY F^CKS MORE **** UP system, and the lack of interest in 'working together' by pretty much every poor sod on the road or wherever I'm going to say sell your hot wheels I gave mine to my little brother a long time ago when I stopped playing with them
Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Starbucks could be a good buy, they aren't doing well right now but I don't foresee them going out of business.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 AM

^They are closing 800 stores. ^
Gas prices going higher, People are skipping that crap!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mcowger
Not bad. Mine is up $26 over the year (about 45%).

--m
matt, you can't throw out a nugget like that and not give out a ticker. PM me if you don't want to publicly disclose.

OP, I would highly suggest you follow the market for a bit. This situation with fannie mae and freddie mak is very scary. these two institutions are the backbone of the US housing market.

A few advice before investing.
1) understand what you are buying. know their market place, product, competitors, vitals, etc.

2) since we live in the valley there is a tendency to focus on tech stocks, don't do this. money can be made every where, look at different sectors.

3) over the long run, you must diversify. companies and sectors do crash.

4) have a plan, know your entry, exit points, etc. if you sell how much to sell. remember this is your money and object is to make more. so a few 10 to 15% returns is just as good as one 30% return.

Good luck, 50k is nice starting chunk to invest with.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
bonds and longterm funds.

Rule 1 of investing - don't invest unless you really, REALLY know what you're doing. Take a cue from investment bankers who themselves don't play the market with their personal money. Because most everyone in the industry knows it's hard to make consistent gains (that and they don't want to go to jail for insider trading)

Lesson 1 of investing - no matter how much money you've made, you can lose it all at anytime.

I'm sure you're already aware, $50k can be blown away pretty quick. For example if you had bet on Google 8 months ago (recall a year and a half ago analyst's predictions that GOOG would hit $1k+) you'd already be down $15k. If you had $50k in Cisco then you'd be down $20k.

Last edited by verc; 07-14-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
tesoro (TSO) is a refinery and its stock price is currently inversely related to the price of oil. So if you expect the price of oil to fall in the near future, a refnery may be a good short term trade. I would personally look at valero (VLO) instead, but thats a personal pref.

If you aren't very knowledgeable about the market and finance, stay away from individual stocks, buy ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) only, and stick with the index funds to start with, if you're buying alternative energy funds right now, you're just asking for it. ETFs are cheap trading vehicles and allow you to trade both the long and short side of the market, which is especially important right now. good luck, and be careful.

Quick Reply: BAIC Money Thread. Investments ?