BAIC I need your help. College.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 AM

Car Info: AWD Peanut "i" IMPRETZA
Originally Posted by nuclearfiziks
well you said you sucked at all these classes, but what are your studying habits to begin with, you prolly don't spend adequate amount of time studying even if you say you do.
I went through the same **** going thru nursing school and i had to "live in a cave" 99% of the time, almost no time for my old project L and had to get rid of it (it was the saddest day of my life).
But thing is I got better grades, I just had to make a decision to sacrifice my social life for a little while then after I graduate I can go out do whatever
I see what you mean.. I had a cousin who see wanted to be Nurse too and she did the same as you!! Completely cut her social gatherings to bare minimum so she doesnt go insane.. and graduated I feel sorry for the students who wants to become a Docotor as they gotta do 10+ yrs of schooling and on top of that 4 year residency with 80+ hours a week. Gotta be totally dedicated.

Just my 0.02 Cents but like the saying goes, " Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." As for me, I got a B.S. degree in Computer Science and as soon as I got my foot in the door and started doing it for awhile. I totally hated the job and couldnt see myself sitting down in front of the screen until I retire. So I got out of it and went to back to school to follow my passion. Good Luck on your path to creating your life!! And to all the same thing.

Last edited by dubyuHO4; 11-11-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Car Info: rsti
Originally Posted by willow

As for me, I prefer ICU or trauma unit. It keeps me going (learning and challenge). It never gets boring when you are exposed to treat patient with fresh motor vehicle accidents, gun shots, septic shocks, heart attacks, fresh post operation, and so on. Later the down the road with more experience on your belt, you could even go back to school for something more advance. Such as CRNA (anethetist) or if you want more excitement, you could take it up on the sky to be helicopter rescue RN.

Just a thought for you.
+++1 for critical care <----the main reason I got into nursing besides who wouldn't want to work in a situation where time flies so fast, you just got there, now your off already heheheh.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Car Info: 06 CGM PDM
Originally Posted by verc
Here's the thing though, if you are Chem E. you don't have to work in that field.

Having an engineering degree means you can get into a top b school or law school much easier than if you had a nontechnical degree, ESPECIALLY here in the silicon valley.

In fact with an engineering degree, provided you are involved in business and plan out your internships to be relevant, you can pretty much do any job a business major would do PLUS you've got your engineering job options. Basically it is a superior choice provided you plan things out ahead of time.
I see what you're saying, but engineering puts me to sleep. I'd rather mess with people's minds
Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Very awarding profession for both females and males. Also, job security is great. Even with this bad economics, I'm constantly getting offer (even beggings) to work more. Depending on where you work (hospital or units), your hourly rate can be range from $45 to $70 with benefits.

Very good point - besides being rewarding and recession resistant and well paying I'd like to add that as a nurse your job falls under the category of that which will NEVER be outsourced lol.

I always wondered why more guys don't go into nursing, is it still the whole gender thing?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
if i was more interested in science and had the drive to do it...i woulda went into nursing. a few of my guy friends are doing nursing, straight ballin right outta graduation.

like others have already said, if you're really passionate about getting PhD and feel you can dedicate the time and energy. do it! you can do it if you put your mind to it!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
I always wondered why more guys don't go into nursing, is it still the whole gender thing?
I think there's definitely still some of that, but the gender issue fades more and more every year, in my opinion. One of my co-workers at my previous job, who was a guy in his very early 20s, was pursuing a degree in the medical field, I don't recall exactly what, with the intention of becoming an RN, and he never mentioned gender as being an issue in any way. As more males enter the field, the idea that nursing is female-dominated will begin to disintegrate.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
And as far as choosing a major in preparation for your career, give it as much thought, consideration and focus as you can, because you only have a few years to set the foundation for your whole working career. It is true thatat a later point in life you can pull a 180 and deviate from the field in which you studied and pursue something else, but having a strong foundation for your working life is especially important in this day and age, so do as much as you can to insure success in whatever you end up doing, and mabe even fields which you may not forsee yourself getting into immediately.

Having finished my B.A. not even a year ago, I am alread wishing I had worked a little harder academically and kept my GPA up as well as pursuing a minor, or even a second major. I was not originally planning to go back to school, but now, after seeing just how tough the job market is, and using this year as a precursor to the toughening of the job market every year after, I realize that I probably will have to go back to school at some point, and I am even about to begin to pursue my Real Estate license just to have as a backup and something to spice up my resume.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Very good point - besides being rewarding and recession resistant and well paying I'd like to add that as a nurse your job falls under the category of that which will NEVER be outsourced lol.

i think so, maybe
although in some hospitals you can see equal # of male:female nurse ratio like in UCSF, but not in others.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by nuclearfiziks
+++1 for critical care <----the main reason I got into nursing besides who wouldn't want to work in a situation where time flies so fast, you just got there, now your off already heheheh.
Yeah, many time at the end of shift, I'm like 'WTF happened?'

In bay-area, lots nurses are from other states and out of states, because we are so short in staff.

Originally Posted by ApexAssassin
I think there's definitely still some of that, but the gender issue fades more and more every year, in my opinion. One of my co-workers at my previous job, who was a guy in his very early 20s, was pursuing a degree in the medical field, I don't recall exactly what, with the intention of becoming an RN, and he never mentioned gender as being an issue in any way. As more males enter the field, the idea that nursing is female-dominated will begin to disintegrate.
^^^Well put. But seriously, as for me, I still don't see anything female about this job. Well, may be in clinics and maternity unit. But in ICU setting, things are very different. When a patient rolls in, he/she have multiples tubes, monitors, multiple IV begs, blood and $#% everywhere. I don't find that feminine at all. Matter of facts, nurses should work out and on steroids for these intense labors.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
And a little incentive..choosing work based on salary is NOT a bad thing. We're all old enough to realize that money IS important and it can buy us happiness. You're going to have bills man...lots of bill! It's not a bad thing to want money or nice things in life if you work hard and deserve it. I use to hate people who get into a profession for the money, but seeing how hard some professions are, they deserve it. I think it helps keep them going. I keep thinking when I'm older, I'm going to have mortgage, car payment, new car parts, KIDS to take care of and man kids are expensive. Anyways, to get to my point..my brother is in med school and he keeps telling me all these average salaries like surgeons coming out make 250k, anesthesiologist make like 220k, dermatologist, radiologist and a lot of other specialties make 200-300k. I'm not saying do it just for the money, but if it helps you get going...
Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan

i was gonna do that but bio is freakin hard and my roomate was in ochem and there is nooo way i would pass that class...

i know multiple people that are $70k+ right out of college doin nursing gigs
Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
i actually read up some more on being a RN last night, pretty interesting. i'll have to give it some more thought later on.

its a shame i never gave it extra thought back in highschool or even thought of a back up plan. anyways, can't worry about that now. just gotta give it my best shot this time around. thanks for the advice guys, theres just too many names to list! haha thanks again
Old 11-11-2008, 02:39 PM

^^^Well put. But seriously, as for me, I still don't see anything female about this job. Well, may be in clinics and maternity unit. But in ICU setting, things are very different. When a patient rolls in, he/she have multiples tubes, monitors, multiple IV begs, blood and $#% everywhere. I don't find that feminine at all. Matter of facts, nurses should work out and on steroids for these intense labors.
i know, I can't count how many times I had to ask help in moving/transferring pts.
Also, how many times i hear nurses say, "we need more muscle here, where is (insert male nurse name here)" hahahah seriously.
You need to be physically fit to be a nurse.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 08 sti
Winston, I'm questing where you are going to school and a possible lack of discipline as a the reasoning behind your difficulties. There could be a good, or bad reason why you moved all the way down there to attend a community college. Also, maybe you're just not ready to give school a hard try.

I dont know why you moved all the way down to SoCal just to go to community college. There are 3 possible reasons why I can see someone doing that. The first is they want to go to a community college that has a more parties going on, which doesn't exactly sound like your prime concern right now. Secondly, because you need to get away from all the people/stuff that stopped you from succeeding back home, whether it be cars, drugs, friends or parents. Third possibility is because the school might be academically better.

If you are having trouble with school being tough, I would consider going to an easy community college nearby like Chabot, Las Positas, Lake Merrit, Mission College, or Evergreen. If you are worried about not learning much, you are the person who decides how much you learn, not a professor. From what I've been told De Anza is one of more demanding community colleges in are area, with Ohlone also being some what tough. I dont know how hard Santa Monica City College is, but maybe consider a different "easy" nearby community college if you want to stay in BroCal.

If youre having problems with other crap getting in the way, I can relate with that. It's hard for myself to hold back when my friends want to go rip up 7th street on a thursday night or smoke a blunt in a parking lot, and I have a midterms or a quiz the next morning. Whether you go out, or stay home and play DotA when you should really be doing homework maybe you just need to spend more time on school work?

It's been hard for me to buckle down until recently, but it's just a mind set. If you REALLY TRUELY want to get the f*ck out of community college then you'll work for it and find yourself in a better place. If for some reason you just dont get it, I usually find thats the case for me when I dont go to class enough. In the classes I have gotten A's in, its not ironic that those are the classes I attend more often than the classes I get B's or C's in.

Good luck, best advice I can give you is go to class EVERY day, read the text book, get bored of DotA and CS already, and don't go out when you know you shouldnt. And if the whole SoCal thing isnt working for you, move back up here and try hard at Ohlone just as hard as you're trying down there, and I think you might find life more simple for you.

Best of luck.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Sup Matt, I moved down cause SMC is the best jc in cali. Its definitely harder than say De Anza. I'm not struggling in school, I have A's in all my other classes, its just Chem thats tough, and its because thats the class that I want to major in, its giving me so much grief. But yeah, I'm glad I moved down, and I think things have turned out better than I expected. Its not the trouble with schooling, its just the direction I want to go with in my schooling. Thanks for your concern though. I'll be back in the bay this Thanksgiving, so I'll hit you up. =)

Quick Reply: BAIC I need your help. College.