Axel nut help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 2.5 RS
Axel nut help...

So as of now I am removing an axel that popped out while i was driving and need ideas for removing it so far i have...

Broken a breaker bar....

Sprayed W-40 on the damn thing...

Heated the nut and used an impact gun....

Scolded at it....

Kicked it like hell....

Any ideas guys???

BTW this is what it looks like on the inside at the diff...

Last edited by Vince25RS; 07-09-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 4EAT MBP wrx wagon
explain? You have a pic of the inside axle where the cv boot is, but you're talking about the nut on the other end correct? I used my craftsman 1/2 6pt socket, a craftsman 2' breaker bar, and it didn't work. I jumped on it, cursed at it, nothing. Then I looked at my jack. Took the handle off of it, slipped it on the breaker, and voila. 6 foot breaker bar took the nut right off. I'm in berkeley if you wanna give it a shot over here and don't have the tools.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 PM

oops realized you prob aren't mobile. How does an axle pop out? (no pin in it?)
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
I managed to put the entire hub/knuckle assembly in a vise with soft jaws, tightened it down solid and used a long breaker bar, took a few tries, but can be removed while out of the car if necessary.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Car Info: bici putas
pop the axle back in??
Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 AM

Car Info: '07 STI
vince- the pic you're showing everyone has no axle nut. if you're talking about taking the axle out of the transmission, you just need a nice long pry bar, and you can wedge it by where the axle is already kind of coming out and it'll pop right off. on the axle nut side, i'd recommend using an impact gun. it's a big socket, and breaker bar works, but you may have to soak the nut in some PB BLASTER (WD40 will not work well enough in my opinion) and maybe have someone step on the brakes or the car on the ground while you try to break the nut. Rest of the removal requires you to either undo your front suspension (where the shocks mount onto the knuckle, which means you'll need to get an alignment again or make a mark so it's close to where it use to be before removal) or you can undo the bottom bolt of the knuckle where it clamps onto the ball joint. this way you can slide the hub out more giving you space to remove and replace the axle.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
+1 on PB Blaster
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 PM

forgot to say, make sure your car is on the ground when doing this, not on stands. break the nut, then jack it up. seriously, 6 foot breaker worked for me so easily when nothing else would. make sure you have pretty good quality tools though, craftsman will be replaced for life on the off chance you break something. Worth the lack of headache.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Ic well I showed the axel's condition and it can't pop back in. Also the nut is currently seized by all the stuff I have used.

I will consider using it not lifted. I am currently at SEARS looking into a compressor tank for the house for future use.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
+1 on PB Blaster
Word...

If you have the time... Hit it right now. Go back out right before it gets dark and hit it again... SOAK it.

Then come out in the morning and hit it again and give it a go.

I use that stuff all the time. Try taking bolts of a 53 cadillac that sat in a field in tracy for 20 years. Or hell... off my subaru after driving up and down dirt roads all day every day drying everything out.

WD40 is useless unless you're fixing a squeaky door or killing spiders.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Vince25RS
Ic well I showed the axel's condition and it can't pop back in. Also the nut is currently seized by all the stuff I have used.

I will consider using it not lifted. I am currently at SEARS looking into a compressor tank for the house for future use.
Do NOT skimp on a compressor. I got the 33 gallon upright. Just the standard red one, not the heavier duty black ones. Think it's 1.5hp. I got it because it's mobile and I have to roll it around the property at times. It rips for standard tool use but if you're doing any kind of sanding or grinding or anything like that it runs out of wind really quick.

So make sure you know exactly what you're gonna be using it for. If you plan on painting, sanding or grinding get a double cycle.

The one I got is a 2hp now. I'd recommend it for sure. Plus you can get it in a truck or even my wagon to take it to someone's house. But like I said... if you're gonna be doing heavy duty stuff... get a big dog.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM

My problem is I don't have enough space. A 7 gal. Is max space and a friend told me that anything less than 50gal isn't going to power an impact gun properly.

Last edited by Vince25RS; 07-10-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by pleue
oops realized you prob aren't mobile. How does an axle pop out? (no pin in it?)
I have no idea at first it felt like my front diff was going out then when I was near my house it just popped out when i made a left turn. It hurt me so bad, because it would move about two to three feet then it would just lock hard then roll forward. So i got it towed for a few blocks and now sits in front of my house.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Sit-Rep: Tried preferred methods but I just destroyed my friend's Matco 32mm Impact Socket ( will be replacing it for him of course with the same brand.) Will be at SEARS tomorrow purchasing a 7gal. air compressor with 150PSI. also an impact gun as well such a stressful bump right now...

Last edited by Vince25RS; 07-10-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 AM

Car Info: '07 STI
it probably didnt work out well because of your breaker bar. I'm telling you, i broke the nuts off with an electric impact from snap-on. a breaker bar wont work because you need the vibration from the impact to really get it off. Did you soak it with PB blaster yet? with the way you drive, i'd do what "onemanarmy" said to do; soak it now, do it again later before sleeping, maybe even do it again in the morning then have a go at noon. u just gotta have patience with it. getting a compressor with 150 psi isnt gonna do it (in my opinion) since the snap-on gun is capable of 165lbs of torque or more, and it took some time before getting an old rusted axle nut off.

Quick Reply: Axel nut help...