Autox Thread Result for Marin

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: a few WRX's and a Z ;)
Autox Thread Result for Marin

- I want to thank God first and foremost... my parents... my 5th grade teacher mr. jensen for telling me not to hang out w/ the wrong crowd (what ended up happening... i hung out w/ the nerds and corrupted them.. ghyeah!).... my wife for putting up w/ my car (and... that's a lot of crap!)... the Delos Reyes brother's for giving me the opportunity to know them off one by one

WE ACTUALLY GOT 4 RUNS... and i got 5 more in the run runs.....!!!!

Times Runs:
47.0x
48.x
47.0x
45.9x
NO CONES BABY!!!

Fun Runs:
48x
48.x (jamie's Type R)
46.x
46.x (Rob's 6 speed trannie'd WRX - thx dude!)
48.x (Rob's 6 speed trannie'd WRX - thx dude!)

Rob's ride definately keeps you on the power band but you have to make sure you power out of those turns... it was hard to gauge what gear I had to be in going out some of those turns...

oh and driving to/from the event w/ race rubbers wasn't bad either.

rock on suby folks! rock on!
Old 04-20-2003, 09:36 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Man, sounds like fun. I was on call for work and had to be in the area.

Fun runs??? i've only experienced that once in my life.

Last edited by OwlBoogie; 04-20-2003 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Congrats!

Myself : yesterday was pretty damn frustrating . Car simply wouldn't turn (major push), and it got WORSE as the tires got hotter on subsequent runs! My "best" time (and using the word "best" to describe it is pretty relative ) was a 47.8....on my second run. Slowed down over 1 sec on the 3rd and 4th runs as the front Azenis just overheated and basically became a pair of greased skis!

Oh well, I at least had fun on the drive back (Hwy 1 and Hwy 17 ). Also briefly stopped in at Subaru of Santa Cruz on the way back, and looked at the 2004 WRX Wagon they had in stock. Like the front end (although the fogs should be a little bigger) and new mirrors, however I think the taillights look like *** . If I bought one, I'd be figuring out a way FAST to get the 2002-03 taillights (and rear bumper) on there. New seats look OK, and I like the new cluster (center tach). One subtle change I noticed is that the wagon tailgate does NOT have a keyhole on it any more!
Old 04-20-2003, 11:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
The best I could muster was a 48.8 clean. I was having a lot of understeer as well. I tried to go slower my last run, but still pushed like mad and ended up hitting a cone anyway. Time to tweak a few more suspension components.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 2003 blue EVO
My best run was my first @ 46.723. Like Ed, PaulC and I had bad overheating problems with the tires. Paul eventually beat my time by one 10th of a second with a 46.624 for second place behind Ralph in the BMW M3 (who was in the 45.6xx I think)

This was also the first autox on my rebuilt DMS 40s. Not too bad compared to the DMS 50s I have. The turn in response is a bit slower, and I think I could use a bigger spring rates all around, but not too bad all around. The key is when I will need the next rebuild.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 2000 brp RS
yeah you got me. i was trying a new suspension set up, testing for the nationals. it had a bad push. the best i could get with the four runs was a 46.1
looking back, i could have gone faster (as usual, too little, too late). i should have short shifted into third on the middle straight after the 3 cone slalom.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

oh

i forgot to thank justin for helping me install my endlinks!

and REDSTAR for helping me setup my suspension... car sits nice and tight!

oh btw... CORNER WEIGHTING SOON TO COME AT REDSTAR!!! sometime this week i believe!

madlib - dude! you were just testing?! damn.. i thought you were really racing out there! w/ 100 whp less... i only beat you by .2 sec
Old 04-20-2003, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 08 STI
Phew, that was a rough event. For the first time, I came in DEAD LAST in D Stock. I was the suckiest there, but I woulda beat Lorry if he'd bothered to show up.

However, 5 Fun Runs in Rob and SubyDude's cars more than made up for my stellar ranking. Thanks guys! I did my fastest (clean) time of the day in Joseph's car- with two of his cousins in riding along. Made my car feel really silly.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:19 AM
xom

Car Info: 04 GTO 5.7
Unhappy Nice surface...bad driving

Wow!
That was a smooth course. Too bad I couldn't navigate it for the life of me.
I was car 802: "and car 802 is lost on course again..." sheesh. That one damn section after the crossover straight.
Oh well next time.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally posted by PaulC
Results are up already: Marina Round 8

I really liked that course, but didn't like the surface so much. In my experience concrete surfaces tend to shift the balance of the car towards understeer. Utlimately it feels like it grips better though, it's a wierd tradeoff.

The course design was great in my opinion. I particularly liked the left hand bend before the long right hand sweeper in the beginning, and the funky not-a-slalom section after the crossover.
I liked a majority of the course layout except that damn stupid kink right after the first slalom. I nearly hit that corner cone on the first run but avoided it and hit the one across from that one instead. And managed to clip that corner cone on the last run. And my car was understeering like mad. The guy working grid told me that I was probably going to fast. So the last run I tired to go slower and understeered worse in that first section. Oh well, no first place for me this event. This could screw up my points for me, hopefully I still have a chance to pull first place overall in the end. *mental note* Need new tires and some new suspension stuff before going back to Marina.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by sirhankwilliams
Phew, that was a rough event. For the first time, I came in DEAD LAST in D Stock. I was the suckiest there, but I woulda beat Lorry if he'd bothered to show up.
Sorry - I was unavoidably detained. I was also feeling a bit rough over the weekend, otherwise I'd probably have made the effort.

It looks like DS was a small but potent group.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:33 PM

so for marina autox days with scca, they have fun runs after?
does it cost additional money?

thanks
alex
Old 04-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by secretaznboy
so for marina autox days with scca, they have fun runs after?
does it cost additional money?

thanks
alex
fun runs they do as time permits.

no extra $$... but they do make you help clean up afterwards.

i've done fun runs before... but this was a lot of fun cuz not too many people were there.

SD
Old 04-22-2003, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 2003 blue EVO
Originally posted by suby_dude
fun runs they do as time permits.
this was a lot of fun cuz not too many people were there.

SD
that's what makes Marina worth the trip.

Quick Reply: Autox Thread Result for Marin