Audi A3, Mazdaspeed3, GTI MkV, Oh My? What else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Audi A3, Mazdaspeed3, GTI MkV, Oh My? What else?

I just dunno what to get once we sell our cars (including my beautiful WRX *cry*)

Its the Mazdaspeed3 GT with everything but dvd/nav, a GTI with Package2 (leather), or an A3 with not much. Any other suggestions?

We're looking for a 5-dr. Believe it or not, I wish Mazda made a Mazdaspeed5, ahahah.

Remeber these days?
Attached Thumbnails Audi A3,  Mazdaspeed3,  GTI MkV, Oh My?  What else?-12110005b.jpg  
Old 09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Sti 5 door?

Ps, that white bugeye is sick. What lip is that and where'd you get the eyelids?

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 09-25-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
VIP Member

*sob* *pout* *blubber* *cry*

Thanks for the compliment on my '02. It sits in my garage for not too much longer. I got the eyelids from Gruppe-S a long time ago, painted them myself. Had to shape them a bit too.... JUN replicas, of course. The lip was a GReddy, long destroyed. Then I had a real STi V2... that said hello to a center divide on a rainy night. Now I have an OEM 2-piece And the wheels have been repainted to look like LE37Ts.

I really don't like the look of the new 5 doors. And I haven't liked a Subaru front fascia for at least 3 years now.

That *is* one sick bugeye, ain't it
Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by mmboost
We're looking for a 5-dr. Believe it or not, I wish Mazda made a Mazdaspeed5, ahahah.
Remeber these days?
The Mazdaspeed3 is a 5 door.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
The Mazdaspeed3 is a 5 door.

Erm... yeah, I know. My point was that it'd be nice if the Mazda5, for all its 6-seater glory, so underpowered -- that's why I wish there was a Mazdaspeed5.

For the overall package, I'm fairly convinced that the Mazdaspeed3 is the way to go.... but I'm not settled. Every review, every comparison, every video, every everything from anywhere puts the '3 at the top. Its just a tad ricey looking for me (so I might get it in black to combat all the curves).... but my wife has issues with it. Put it this way, the Audi was not my idea. For the same price as a MS3 GT we could get an A3 with zero frills. But because its an Audi, she' s more inclined...
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Car Info: 96 gm(sold), 98 bk, 02 sf
my parents have the mazda 5 sport. the auto tranny sucks, theres bad sound deadening, and it feels like its misfiring[still need to take to dealer]
Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I don't understand how someone can dis the new Impreza 5 door but consider the Mazdaspeed 3.

ITS THE SAME FREAKING THING!

Only the subie is AWD
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
I don't understand how someone can dis the new Impreza 5 door but consider the Mazdaspeed 3.

ITS THE SAME FREAKING THING!

Only the subie is AWD
Hrm... that's not true, at all

A difference of 40 horsepower makes quite a difference. And before you say AWD makes as good or better 1/4mi times... that's only good for posting your timeslips. From a roll the MS3 kills the WRX. I'd rather have 40 more hp when rolling than AWD from a standstill. You should see the Edmund's video of them going door to door at the drag strip. The WRX takes off, and then the MS3 comes flying up, finishing at about the same time but with a trap speed of 4 more miles per hour (!) Who do you think will outshine who on the freeway? When I test drove one, the power reminded me a lot more of my ~325 engine hp WRX than when my WRX was stock.

Also, the MS3 (according to Edmunds and Car & Driver) has better skidpad results... thought it comes with better rubber than the WRX.

Also, for the same price, there's all sorts of interior goodies, including leather. I looked and could not find a leather option for the WRX.

ok all that and while the MS3 fascia is nothing special, it ain't ugly like the WRX Oy! What has become of the beautiful Impreza?!?!?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Yeah well, I'll be passing you in my STI on the way to tahoe while you are mucking around in the slush putting chains on...
Old 09-25-2007, 10:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
The MS3 and new WRX look almost identical... not sure what you're talking about. Have you seen the wrx in person? Looks MUCH better than the photos. As far as looks go the A3 is by far my favorite. In terms of performance, I'd probably wait for the STI or get a WRX and add a couple mods. There's just no way I'd go back to FWD if I'm planning to actually use the car for any sort of fun.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Wouldn't hurt to drive the new WRX instead of bench racing it.

And the Mazda 3 doesn't look ricey at all. No offense here, but you do have eyelids and color matching wheels on that bugeye.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
Yeah well, I'll be passing you in my STI on the way to tahoe while you are mucking around in the slush putting chains on...
Isn't Tahoe a gay resort town?

Seriously though, if I was planning to drive through the snow, I'd change my requirements. If I leave the Bay Area, I fly -- and I can pay for it with the $8,000 I'll save over your STi and beat you there by 2.5 hours!. Can I get leather for the STi? *grin*
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
STi's beat my 2.5RS in the quarter mile...no joke...but guess what happens when I rally/autoX against STi's?

Originally Posted by mmboost
Who do you think will outshine who on the freeway? When I test drove one, the power reminded me a lot more of my ~325 engine hp WRX than when my WRX was stock.
Freeway!?!?! what about Mountains! would you rather have an extra 40hp to aid understeer or rear driven wheels to tuck you thru the turn?

your days of doin fly bys on the freeway are over! (assuming youre not young anymore) haha

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 09-25-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
The MS3 and new WRX look almost identical... not sure what you're talking about. Have you seen the wrx in person? Looks MUCH better than the photos. As far as looks go the A3 is by far my favorite. In terms of performance, I'd probably wait for the STI or get a WRX and add a couple mods. There's just no way I'd go back to FWD if I'm planning to actually use the car for any sort of fun.

Thanks
I dunno, we disagree on this one. Yeah I've seen it in person. Its not the overall body, its the fascia, the grill, the scoop. Its so freaking Saab-ish.

Yeah, I like the A3s looks a lot. Its just clean and streamlined. No extra lines -- something the MS3 has too many of in my opinion.

Well, that the thing: I swore I'd never go back to FWD. But here's my theory: once you use AWD, if you've got to switch you're better off with FWD than RWD for the type of handling experience you're used to. Also, there's no good reason the MS3 isn't AWD! If the WRX came with similar speed at the same price, I'd put aside my gripe with its looks. I'm also done modifying for power. I've had my hopped up car that was very fast and looked great. Now I just don't have time for it and I don't want to worry about passing smog. Otherwise, I'd never sell my beloved WRX. But God, I wish Mazda had 5x100 wheels so I could put my beautiful LE37Ts on it!

Just so many stinkin' factors.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
STi's beat my 2.5RS in the quarter mile...no joke...but guess what happens when I rally/autoX against STi's?

Freeway!?!?! what about Mountains! would you rather have an extra 40hp to aid understeer or rear driven wheels to tuck you thru the turn?

your days of doin fly bys on the freeway are over! (assuming youre not young anymore) haha
You don't drive mountain roads that fast when you care about your wife and kid. Why else would I sell my WRX? HELLO, look to the left, see that avatar?

The freeway scenarios is to convey ideas of power, not the desire to do a freeway flyby. You now there are stock WRXs on BAIC who've gotted spanked on the freeway bya MS3 hehe ... and no flyby either! Seriously, go to Edmunds and watch their direct comparison ... makes me cry.

Last edited by mmboost; 09-25-2007 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi A3, Mazdaspeed3, GTI MkV, Oh My? What else?