ATTN: Mechanical Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
ill be making the roads that will connect you to your company ****. and just for you ill make pipelines so small that youll get minimal flow for your water. have some!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
if you suck at math to the point where an ME degree is unobtainable, try the MET (mechanical engineering technology) degree program if your school has one. where I went, Sac State, MET is an accredited 4 year bachelors of science degree, and is considered by most employers to be on a similar playing field to an ME degree.

There's still math involved, but only 2 semesters of calculus and physics. it's more of a "hands on" program, more emphasis on applications rather than theory, more manufacturing and drafting / design courses.

not to say one degree is better than the other, they are different and tend to have their own advantages and disadvantages depending on the field you go to work in.

as an MET degree holder, i can honestly say i've never been "held back" in any career position because of the difference in degree. so far i've worked for Raytheon as a Mechanical Engineer, Northrop Grumman as a Mechanical Engineer, and Siemens Transportation as a Product Engineer. in all cases, and these are some huge corporations, an engineering degree is an engineering degree. at Raytheon and Northrop, I did a lot of electronics packaging and form-fit-function replacement parts; "brackets and boxes"... it was ok work, not too challenging, but it paid the bills. at Siemens i do light rail vehicles, everything from manufacturing support to exterior aesthetics and anything in between.

Last edited by RussB; 08-16-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by ucbsti
lol yes indeed. There are MEs, and GOOD MEs as you stated. If you aren't good, have fun designing brackets and boxes
actually, thats whats structures ppl do. Analyze brackets, composites, honeycomb panels, FEA, etc. The CAD jockeys design the brackets and boxes and we tell them to change it. hahahahahaha

We also test things, help in manufacturing and troubleshoot.

If you want a well paying eng job, you do systems engineering.

Last edited by samurai; 08-16-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by samurai

If you want a well paying eng job, you do systems engineering.

Yeah, but one good systems guy can take care of a lot of huge projects. I work on the semi field, so we need systems guys as well as hardcore hardware guys for chamber and module design
Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM

Yeah, but one good systems guy can take care of a lot of huge projects. I work on the semi field, so we need systems guys as well as hardcore hardware guys for chamber and module design
Very true. I work in Aerospace so I'm used to one systems guy on one project. If the guy is a machine, then he works 2. It very well may be different in other industries.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Nope, I think thats pretty universal, good systems guys get good by designing multiple systems

The guy I used to work under was driving 3 new platforms concurrently. Lots of glory in systems if you are good, but yeah, fierce competition to be that top guy
Old 08-16-2007, 12:46 PM

Nope, I think thats pretty universal, good systems guys get good by designing multiple systems

The guy I used to work under was driving 3 new platforms concurrently. Lots of glory in systems if you are good, but yeah, fierce competition to be that top guy

Really? Usually for satellites, a systems guy runs one satellite program. That means from cradle to grave. They have ppl under him handling the sub projects (which is what I think you mean by "multiple systems"), but there is one main systems guy guiding the whole satellite through to launch.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Whoa, I didn't expect so many responses! I really appreciate it everyone!

During high school, the highest final math grade I received was a B, and that was freshman year. The final math class I took in HS was pre-cal, and that was semi-tough. But that was high school. Hopefully college will be a little different.

To those of you who said some classes want you to learn how to manipulate the formula/theory instead of calculating it, I think I know what you mean. In HS, most of my friends were taking AP Calculus. Many times I saw them doing their work, and I asked them why they couldn't use calculators, it was because they didn't need them at all.

The MET major sounds interesting. I'll have to check if SJSU has it.

What got me into mech-E were those schools that built those little race cars to compete against other schools. I thought that was awesome.

From my perspective in life right now as a kid going into the first year of college, money and salary isn't a big thing exactly (of course, there has to be a decent salary). I'm more concerned of landing a job. Perhaps that will change in the future.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dSpec
What got me into mech-E were those schools that built those little race cars to compete against other schools. I thought that was awesome.
Wewt! FSAE! I helped them out for one summer while I was an undergrad. I don't know if SJSU has them, but I am absolutely sure that SLO has it.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

SLO has all that. We have nothing else to do here anyway.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM

smoke weed and holler at white breezies?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dSpec

From my perspective in life right now as a kid going into the first year of college, money and salary isn't a big thing exactly (of course, there has to be a decent salary). I'm more concerned of landing a job. Perhaps that will change in the future.
No, as a kid going into their first year of college, your focus should be to meet as many girl as possible and party. A lot.

You've got the rest of your life to worry about a job.

Do the work, get the grades, but ultimately, ENJOY YOURSELF! This is the last time you're going to have this much freedom around this many people your own age. After this, you're going to be around a bunch of 40-50 year old engineers staring at screens all day.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Werd..Bell R is a wise man. Party hard in college, because work is boring as hell with old guys and nerds. Finally got 3 GIRL interns in my building, OMGHI2THEM
Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

send them this way. im stuck with old farts. im glad my time is ending soon and im heading back to breezy heaven!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM

your mom's a breezy

Quick Reply: ATTN: Mechanical Engineers