ANyone know of an equal substitute for a Recaro SRD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Exclamation ANyone know of an equal substitute for a Recaro SRD?

Hello to all the seat folks,

I'm looking to get a very aggressive seat for my STi, something like a recaro SRD which is really aggressive but yet still reclines. I can't spend $800 for a single seat with rails, it's just not a good time. Is there anything out there that is as low and aggressive as a recaro SRD without the insane price tag?

I have STi V6 seats in my car right now, but I'm REALLY tall and want something lower so that I can have a couple inches of headroom clearance when wearing a helmet. I love the STi seats and it sucks getting rid of them, but like I said, I want something thats even lower then them (and the STi seats are already over an inch lower then the stock seats).

I want to get the seat before my next track day so any help is GREATLY appreciated it.

I only want one seat, and of course I need the rails. This is for my 2007 STi.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

PS: Like I said in another thread, I'm willing to trade my STi seats for a good aggressive seat that is comparable to the SRD.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/want-buy-single-recaro-srd-seat-rails-willing-trade-my-sti-v6-seats-202971/

^^^ Read this thread if you are interested.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Car Info: Eq TuNeD vF43 bUgEyE
i got my recaro speed, replacement for SRDs from national speed inc. I only paid $1100 for both seat, i found the sliders and brackets used for $80 on nazioc. maybe u can give them a call to see if they can still get u a deal. If you want to try out the speed, let me know.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM

I only need one seat since my wife hates aggressive seats, so it'd only be one for me.

What body type are you? Also, how tall are you? Is the seat more aggressive then the JDM STi seats? Basically what I'm asking is, is it like the SRD in terms of bolstering, etc? I need the seat to sit really low, Im guessing yours is a lot lower then stock?

You can't get the rails direct from the distributor?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
i have no idea about the seats this site sells, but they seem to be decently priced. http://www.f1spec.com

i've been to a HIN a while back and sat in some of their seats they had on display. IIRC they felt decent. sorry if it's not much help.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM

I'll keep my eyes open on iwsti, let you know when I find something.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Thank you very much! Any help is majorly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
I only need one seat since my wife hates aggressive seats, so it'd only be one for me.

What body type are you? Also, how tall are you? Is the seat more aggressive then the JDM STi seats? Basically what I'm asking is, is it like the SRD in terms of bolstering, etc? I need the seat to sit really low, Im guessing yours is a lot lower then stock?

You can't get the rails direct from the distributor?
I'm 5'10 200lbs, the seats are a lil tight on me, but it is my motivation to loose weight

I've never sat in an JDM STi seat, so I have no idea how they feel. But it is alot more aggressive than my bugeye seats.

There's different sliders and brackets. They have height adjustable ones or non-adjustable one. I have the height adj ones, and i have it on the highest setting, which is still about 2-3 inches lower than the stock seats. You can get the rails from pretty much anywhere that sells the seat, or theres also wedge engineering that makes them.

If you're ever in pleasanton/danville area, you are more than welcome to sit in them to see how you like it. Just let me know.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 AM

Car Info: 2012 G37S / Sold 06 WRX
Recaro SRDs on NASIOC .... $1350 + shipping

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1698490
Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
If I still had my SRD I'd be more than willing to let you sit in it Daniel.

IIRC, even though the JDM seats hug you comparing to the US ones, the SRD was comfortable in my opinion and would choose the recaro to the Sti seat hands down.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by vik682

Damn, if only he was selling a single seat.

Edit, just emailed them to see if they would be willing to sell just a single seat as this is a really good price and works out to be $700 a seat. (This is for the SPEEDs, not the SRD. I guess the SPEED is the newer version of the SRD which is slightly improved.)

Thanks for that heads up mang!

Last edited by brucelee; 04-24-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 AM

Looks like Speed Element stocks Recaro seats, looks like I'm going to buy from them. I'd rather pay extra for a new one and support a local shop then buy a used one from someone to save a little dough.

I <3 Speed Element.

Not only that, but no shipping cuz they are in Fremont!

They also carry BRIDE, COBRA, and SPARCO seats... But from my research it seems that the Recaro Speeds are the best bang for the buck. Bride makes a similar seat thats a little more aggressive but its $400 more per seat!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by vik682

That's expensive, I got mine for $1100 Shippd with 3 day express. Plus Gruppe-S will prob charge him tax since we're in Cali.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 AM

^^^

Yeah, screw gruppe-s, I didn't even notice that they were the seller.

Like I said, I'll prolly go through speed element if they can get these seats for me.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
Daniel ... aren't SRD's what come in the JDM Integra type R's?? if so... buy used...all the honda guys buy a pair of used JDM Recaro's for like 800-900 for a pair. Theres a few jdm importers in the area that sell the for this price for a pair... just an example

http://www.jdmcarboy.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=3214
Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shagon Wagon
Daniel ... aren't SRD's what come in the JDM Integra type R's?? if so... buy used...all the honda guys buy a pair of used JDM Recaro's for like 800-900 for a pair. Theres a few jdm importers in the area that sell the for this price for a pair... just an example

http://www.jdmcarboy.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=3214
I think those are recaro sports, just like my STi seats.

The recaro SRDs are really aggressive... I actually want the Recaro speed which is the upgraded version of the SRD.

Edit, you're right actually. But even still, I'd have to change the cloth, rails, and I only want one seat... So buying a new Speed will cost like $699 which isn't bad.

Quick Reply: ANyone know of an equal substitute for a Recaro SRD?