Is anyone here are D-SLR camera pro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
If you are doing action photography like that, you want a canon lens.

Esp. for photographing WRC, you are going to need a lens that can focus FAST. Light wont be an issue if its outside, so you can go with a lens thats not a constant 2.8 aperture, but you NEED USM. The rebel xt or or 20D or 30D would be good choices, as they have great sensors and the REALLY fast Digic 2 processor.

For your indoor badminton w/ no flash restriction, you are going to want a reasonably fast lens (in terms of f/stop). Some that can do 4 or better. Might consider getting a couple prime lenses for that kind of work, as you probably wont neeed to zoom all that much...Either that, or pay for a nice USM+IS lens with a constant aperture.

Personally, I would suggest that for your style, the Nikon system is a bad choice.

Originally Posted by Mine'sRacingGDB
thanks a lot for the great info, yeah...that what I'm thinking of, too. because I don't use that amount of iso and shutter, that why I'm looking at not at the super camera.

and yes, I do take like to take action pictures. Badminton for example, my old V1 can't hold up on the fast swing, also I can't turn the flash on in the gym (or like u said, it probably my skill level...haha)

I also want to get everything ready, cause I might goto Germany this coming Aug. WRC there u know...but still, it an unsure thing.

alan'06
Old 07-07-2006, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by mcowger
Personally, I would suggest that for your style, the Nikon system is a bad choice.
He really needs to try them out himself to make the final decision.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:23 PM

Great piece of info Mcowger. I am too looking into a SLR camera. I am lending more towards the nikon because I have heard and seen great stuff from them. I have used cannons and have an S1. It is not up to the level of the SLR but I find that cannon doesn't do great night shots. I really don't know how their SLR's are though.

So between the D50 and D70 are there any differences? D50 is much cheaper now. Maybe it's a good time to jump in. I am a noobie too but would like to learn how to take some nice pics.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 PM

www.dpreview.com

edit:
also, www.pbase.com and click on "camera database" near the top, you'll be able to check out shots organized by camera used.

shameless self promotion
Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM

Looking at teh D50 vs. D70 - some things I notice:
1) neither will do an ISO less than 200....kinda weird - I OFTEN shoot at 50 or 100.
2) D70 will do 1/8000th (not important)
3) D50 uses SD, D70 uses CF. Up to you, but I prefer CF.
4) D50 has a larger LCD. Not a big deal, but hey.
5) D50 weighs a bit less.

Seems to me like the D50 is a FAR better deal, except for the SD vs. CF thing, but thats personal preference only.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by wagonrex
It is not up to the level of the SLR but I find that cannon doesn't do great night shots. I really don't know how their SLR's are though.
At the SLR level, its no longer about the camera - the sensors are top notch in all manuf's and levels (much better than the sensors in a S1). Its about the lenses and the photographer.

I know it really sounds like I'm selling Canon, and to some degree I am. I have yet to have someone name a single advantage Nikon has over Canon in the DSLR realm (for someone who doesn't ALREADY have an investment in lenses)....If someone can make that argument, I'd love to hear it...
Old 07-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
i love canon lenses. i've owned a 10d and 300d before i made the switch over to nikon. i like nikon user interface and the program supplied imo is awesome. the d70s does have a lot of limitations when compared against the 10d and 20d. but for what it comes with for the price i would honestly consider it a great camera. shooting pics at 1600iso w/ a nikon i feel it to be a lot sharper than my former 10d @ 1600iso as well.

my advice is that a lot of owners will try to influence you one way or another.. but as always try both out and see which suits to your liking... again as i said, i will be @ uckk this coming tuesday so if you would like to play around w/ my d70s, you're more than welcome to do so.

last piece of advice, stick with canon or nikon. and you've made a good choice.

btw: this is the same advice i have given out over the past 4 years of camera and d-slr sales.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
I would definitely check out a camera shop and don't feel bad about spending a few hours testing out cameras. I myself own an Olympus E-500 (very underrated and overlooked). I love this camera, but I only have two gripes: you can see the noise in some shots and there is no battery grip.

Other than that, the camera is really good and very fairly priced. I went ahead and purchased the 14-54 mm and it's very fast and lets me do close up macro, portraits, and some decently ranged shots. The 4/3rds system is also pretty awesome, light gets through well. Not to mention that Leica has now adopted the 4/3rds system, so I'll be seeing some very nifty lenses to come along. The other reason I went with it was the anti-dusting system, you'll never have to clean it.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase, but I'm also curious about how other cameras feel. What mcowger says is right about it being the lenses and the photographer though. I felt limited with my kit lens and then when I bought the pricey lens, it did so much more for me. It also depends on if you have the eye for photography, some people have pro equipment and take pretty mediocre shots.

Well, I'm not sure what else to say that hasn't already been covered, but I'd definitely do some hands on research at a store Good luck.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Yeah, I asked so many people and went back and forth but finally a trip to that camera shop at Winchester and Hamilton in Campbell - where I could play with the cameras I was interested in - sorted it out for me. Nice people there as well.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah, I asked so many people and went back and forth but finally a trip to that camera shop at Winchester and Hamilton in Campbell - where I could play with the cameras I was interested in - sorted it out for me. Nice people there as well.
when you go to make your final purchase, I would check online:
www.jr.com
www.bhphotovideo.com
http://store.h1photo.com
for starters
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 PM

Car Info: GDA
By pro, I take it that you mean photographers who are getting paid for their work? LOL.

If you have only $1000 to spend on a camera body, the D200 is out of your price range. That also excludes the 5D. Your remaining options would be the Canon 20D and the Nikon D70 if you buy new. Both cameras will serve you well if you're just getting into photography. Just from teh top of my head...

The 20D has better ISO performance, 5fps burst speed, and the slightly higher resolution (8MP vs the Nikon's 6MP).

The D70 has better ergonomics, ITTL flash system, 1/3 stops, spot metering, and Commander mode for remote flash triggering.

I agree with mcowger that you need to base your decision on the LENS line-up. Camera bodies come and go...you're likely to upgrade to another camera in the next couple years anyway. Both Canon and Nikon make good lenses but Canon telephoto IS lenses are more reasonable in price. For that reason alone, I would go with Canon.

There is also the Canon 1D Mark1 (slightly above $1000 used), which I am reluctant to mention. You will not get the same ISO performance (Digic1 vs Digic2 processor on the 20D) but you gain a better auto focus system over the other cameras. The low resolution (4MP) will also mean that you cannot crop much (if at all) if you don't compose your shots properly. I would opt for the more versatile 20D over the older 1D unless you really need the 1D's weatherproof sealing and the 45 point AF system.

I shoot with Canon but I'm fairly impartial to either system. My bro shoots Nikon (D70, D200, and D2X) so I know a little about that system's strengths. You should talk to the photographers at the Mt. Hammy event and decide for yourself which system you like more. If I had ~$1000 to spend and my interest is in outdoor action/sports photography, I would get a used 20D ($700-800) and a used 70-200L f/4 ($470-500 still under warranty).
Old 07-07-2006, 08:49 PM

Car Info: GDA
Oh, as for the new Sony dSLR, it purports to have an in-camera image stabilization system which I think is innovative. Sony will also use Zeiss lenses. It's far too early to tell how good/bad the Sony dSLR system will be. I'm not a fan of Sony either, so meh....
Old 07-07-2006, 11:00 PM

Car Info: evo8
if i make it to the hammy meet ill let you try out my d50.im still a noob on d-slr's but i bought one anyways to learn it hands on also besides reading
Old 07-07-2006, 11:41 PM

Car Info: a car with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by doughboy
By pro, I take it that you mean photographers who are getting paid for their work? LOL.

If you have only $1000 to spend on a camera body, the D200 is out of your price range. That also excludes the 5D. Your remaining options would be the Canon 20D and the Nikon D70 if you buy new. Both cameras will serve you well if you're just getting into photography. Just from teh top of my head...

The 20D has better ISO performance, 5fps burst speed, and the slightly higher resolution (8MP vs the Nikon's 6MP).

The D70 has better ergonomics, ITTL flash system, 1/3 stops, spot metering, and Commander mode for remote flash triggering.

I agree with mcowger that you need to base your decision on the LENS line-up. Camera bodies come and go...you're likely to upgrade to another camera in the next couple years anyway. Both Canon and Nikon make good lenses but Canon telephoto IS lenses are more reasonable in price. For that reason alone, I would go with Canon.

There is also the Canon 1D Mark1 (slightly above $1000 used), which I am reluctant to mention. You will not get the same ISO performance (Digic1 vs Digic2 processor on the 20D) but you gain a better auto focus system over the other cameras. The low resolution (4MP) will also mean that you cannot crop much (if at all) if you don't compose your shots properly. I would opt for the more versatile 20D over the older 1D unless you really need the 1D's weatherproof sealing and the 45 point AF system.

I shoot with Canon but I'm fairly impartial to either system. My bro shoots Nikon (D70, D200, and D2X) so I know a little about that system's strengths. You should talk to the photographers at the Mt. Hammy event and decide for yourself which system you like more. If I had ~$1000 to spend and my interest is in outdoor action/sports photography, I would get a used 20D ($700-800) and a used 70-200L f/4 ($470-500 still under warranty).

will used one safe tho? cause u donno what they did to it or anything? and where can I check out used one? craigslist?

alan'06
Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
i lucked out and bought a brand new d70s on craiglist for 800. look around CL and you could prolly find a good deal on it.

Quick Reply: Is anyone here are D-SLR camera pro?