Anyone have a Skid Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:02 AM

Anyone have a Skid Plate?

Does anyone have a front skid plate, such as the Rallyarmor, that they would be willing to let me borrow? It looks like it would be fairly easy to replicate with carbon fiber, and, well, I have a lot of carbon fiber.

In compensation, I'd make you one out of CF as well, assuming that they come out ok.

Nathan
Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
I've got one from... dammit, I forgot the name. It's not on the car presently, so you can pick it up or swing by and make a pattern.. however you wanna do it.

-Bis
Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by flesher
Does anyone have a front skid plate, such as the Rallyarmor, that they would be willing to let me borrow? It looks like it would be fairly easy to replicate with carbon fiber, and, well, I have a lot of carbon fiber.

In compensation, I'd make you one out of CF as well, assuming that they come out ok.

Nathan
I did this, came out nice but I dont really have the time to make any more of these right now. you can use my AL one I used as a template though

https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/would-anyone-interested-these-76016/
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
you can use mine, it's sitting in the shop over at gruppe-s. I've meant to do something similar for a while, but i'm too lazy.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:16 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Wouldn't CF be really bad as a skid plate? It's worst trait is how prone to abrasion damage it is.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
It only applys to direct contact with aluminum, but make sure you have the proper barrier (resin) between CF and aluminum otherwise within a few weeks you will see corotion of both(or one of the 2).

I learned this from a co-worker that used to work at some aerospace company that used CF a lot.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:46 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Why would you want CF plus aluminum? I actually tried making skidplates out of CF a couple years ago. After doing some out of car "stress tests" vs. an aluminum one, I decided that CF doesn't make very good "tough" material. (not very good impact and abrasion resistance - i mean it's essentially held together by freaking glue - like an above poster said).

Krinkov's skidplate looks pretty good. That would be much easier

Also, I believe 1/8" sheet AL is thin enough to be bent/cut by those bodyweight powered thingmajiggies.

Last edited by verc; 06-23-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by verc
Why would you want CF plus aluminum?
I don't. I'm not sure where that idea came from.

For me, aerospace-grade CF is free (other than my time), while Al is not. This is the same stuff I gave you [Verc] a bunch of in Sept.

Nathan

Last edited by flesher; 06-23-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Wouldn't CF be really bad as a skid plate? It's worst trait is how prone to abrasion damage it is.
Personally, I'd say it's worst trait is that it's expensive. As far as abrasion resistance, it's certainly much better than the stock plastic undertray.

Mostly, I have tons of CF burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm looking for something to make that doesn't involve too much work.

Nathan
Old 06-23-2005, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Get a sheet of titanium. Will work better than carbon and wont splinter on you if a rock hits it by chance. When it rubs if ever you can get some nice sparks. Like the toe sliders on motorcycle boots.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:13 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Hey Flesher, were you the guy who gave me a crapload of CF over the summer? You are a grad student in Aero/Astro at Stanford right?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Why would you want CF plus aluminum? I actually tried making skidplates out of CF a couple years ago. After doing some out of car "stress tests" vs. an aluminum one, I decided that CF doesn't make very good "tough" material. (not very good impact and abrasion resistance - i mean it's essentially held together by freaking glue - like an above poster said).

Krinkov's skidplate looks pretty good. That would be much easier

Also, I believe 1/8" sheet AL is thin enough to be bent/cut by those bodyweight powered thingmajiggies.
yeah I wouldnt use the CF one as a rally plate, it was just my street plate since the stock funky moulded platic one was shot, this one sits higher up for more clearance and smooths out the airflow a bit better, would be sweel with the other 05 STI underbody panels.

Last edited by Krinkov; 06-23-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:13 PM

Hey Flesher, were you the guy who gave me a crapload of CF over the summer? You are a grad student in Aero/Astro at Stanford right?
Yes, I'm the guy. I'm actually in ME, but in an A/A lab.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 99 Impreza Rally Blue WRX
CF not optimal for abuse like an AL one...get an R/A

Old 06-24-2005, 01:04 AM

Car Info: 2002 4EAT MBP wrx wagon
anyone wanna sell their al skidplate or make me a cf one since it seems like a lot of you just have em lying around?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Skid Plate?