Anyone have the hook up on unlocked phones?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Wow everything you said about att is not true at all. You need to know the differences about the two different networks before you say rubish about the company. I'm on my iPhone right now at 11500ft in tahoe and I have full 3g on my iPhone, checking my verizon phone right now with NO service. I have no service with verizon a lot of the time. Verizon is on a dtma network, Att is on a CDMA. With tdma you can get better service through walls and steal buildings. CDMA works better outside and has 3 older networks the service will fall back on.
What i said was based off 8 years of experience with Cingular and ATT, not just including me, but all of my friends who have now switched to Verizon from ATT as well.

I know signals vary from phone to phone, which is why maybe you don't have a signal with your verizon phone, but I've had more phones then I can count, and every single time, Verizon has beat out ATT. I like to go camping, and often go to remote areas while driving and such. I'm always with someone who has ATT, and every time they don't have a signal, I ALWAYS do, 100% of the time.

For example, when I wrecked my WRX and hit a tree head-on 6 months ago, I was in a remote area, and since I was in an emergency situation, I had to make a call to 911 so that they could dispatch an ambulance. I had my wife's work phone in the car along with mine (her's is a high end ATT phone, I have a very basic verizon phone). Due to the crash, my phone was sent flying and I couldn't find it, and since I was in a lot of pain, I figured I'd use my wife's work phone to call 911... Guess what? Zero signal. After a couple mins of searching, I find mine, and guess what? PERFECT signal and I was able to call 911.

What if I didn't have my phone with me? I'd be SCREWED! There is almost no traffic on that road, and since it was the middle of the night on a weekday, I doubt anyone would have driven by until the morning. I had an insane amount of neck pain and would have totally been screwed otherwise.

Thankfully I had my verizon phone which saved me from a lot of headache.

If I had to trust my life with my phone, I'd def use Verizon.

I don't know how they are outside of CA, but in CA they are the greatest. I've given ATT so many chances, used so many phones, but even though I had issues sometimes, I didn't know that there was anything better out there until I tried Verizon.

If Apple had a contract with Verizon, I'd have an iphone right now, but there's no way I'm switching back to ATT.

Verizon is more expensive per month, but it's worth it to me, especially since I drive around in really remote areas with no signal with average carriers (like ATT).
Old 07-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
wow any of my friends who use verizon they can't get signal anywhere in the mountains or most areas that are in buildings basically the oposite of what you are saying. But I find each cell service has its issues. For bryan and I we had issues with all services except sprint or nextel and that's why we have been with them for a while. With verizon and att and tmobile we had issues big time in los altos and not having a home phone we had to use a service that his parents could reach us on since they are getting up in age we needed to rely on the best service for our needs. Some reason in palo alto in winter times have many issues with att everyone around me would go down in service but our sprint service was always good. In oregon I had att and I couldn't wait to get off of them because I got no service in any building or house and it flat drove me nuts. All and all I find each phone service to be different to each person. When talking to people about phone services everyone has their personal likes and dislikes about each carrier so I just say whatever you like and works best for you get that service.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
Originally Posted by brucelee
Verizon is more expensive per month, but it's worth it to me, especially since I drive around in really remote areas with no signal with average carriers (like ATT).
last time i checked, verizon and att prices were about the same. there are rumors floating around that apple and verizon are coming out with two devices. they cant say when it was going to come out, but apple and att's contract ends 2010, so who knows.

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Wow everything you said about att is not true at all. You need to know the differences about the two different networks before you say rubish about the company. I'm on my iPhone right now at 11500ft in tahoe and I have full 3g on my iPhone, checking my verizon phone right now with NO service. I have no service with verizon a lot of the time. Verizon is on a dtma network, Att is on a CDMA. With tdma you can get better service through walls and steal buildings. CDMA works better outside and has 3 older networks the service will fall back on.
doesnt ATT/t-moblie use GSM and verizon/sprint use CDMA
Old 07-05-2009, 01:00 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx

doesnt ATT/t-moblie use GSM and verizon/sprint use CDMA
last time I checked they did...... I know my T-Mobile phone is GSM
Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
i thought the tallest peak in Tahoe was 10800? haha

Originally Posted by brucelee
Man, I really wish that i-phones were compatible with Verizon, cuz AT&T is awful in terms of their service. I have service EVERYWHERE, with ATT, not so much. I used to be an ATT fanboi, but I learned the hard way that Verizon just walks circles around it.

I'd rather have amazing service then have features that I can't use because of the lack of service.

I <3 Verizon

IMO

I live pretty deep in the redwoods, and with (older)Verizon, i'd have a consistant low-mid signal. With (current)ATT its mid or nothing. like rolling the dice if i want to make a call.

I hate how you cant put your phone next to a speaker, otherwise it wil wake you up at night making that stupid popping noise.

You cant save voicemails on ATT for over a certain amount of time (i had hilarious VM's that were 3 years old on my Verizon.)

ATT's signal cuts out for 1/4 second every so often and you have to ask the person to repeat what they just said cuz you missed 1/2 a word. and the overall sound quality isn't as good.

ATT is cool though because of removable SIM cards so you can swap phones when you drop it in the toilet or washing machine. other than that i dont know.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 07-05-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:21 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
Hey walter i can help ya with the phone thingy forgot to talk to you about it today at the meet
Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
i thought the tallest peak in Tahoe was 10800? haha

IMO

I live pretty deep in the redwoods, and with (older)Verizon, i'd have a consistant low-mid signal. With (current)ATT its mid or nothing. like rolling the dice if i want to make a call.

I hate how you cant put your phone next to a speaker, otherwise it wil wake you up at night making that stupid popping noise.

You cant save voicemails on ATT for over a certain amount of time (i had hilarious VM's that were 3 years old on my Verizon.)

ATT's signal cuts out for 1/4 second every so often and you have to ask the person to repeat what they just said cuz you missed 1/2 a word. and the overall sound quality isn't as good.

ATT is cool though because of removable SIM cards so you can swap phones when you drop it in the toilet or washing machine. other than that i dont know.
Yep, I agree.

This thread is the first time I've ever heard of anyone defending ATT and hating on verizon, which is the total opposite of the norm!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 PM

had enough time to mess with the n97. off the bat, i agree with most reviews about the phone. its a great phone, but not perfect. the UI is a bit dated compared to other phones out there. there arent many features that make it stand out among the competition, but the list of features is impressive. 3.5" screen, keyboard, gps, 32gb hd, 5.0mp dual led camera in the back, a camera in the front, wifi, 3g, btooth, unlocked out of the box. people were complaining about the space bar on the right hand side, but i found it pretty easy to use.

supports docs, pdf, and flash

ive had a iphone before and hated the touchscreen keyboard. i wanted physical buttons that i could see pushing, instead of guessing if i hit the right button when i cover 4 of the letters with my thumb. i could go into more detail about the phone, but ill try to keep the thread from being jacked
Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
rau
Something Custom

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
Hey walter i can help ya with the phone thingy forgot to talk to you about it today at the meet
went down there yesterday. Not that big of a selection,. they kept trying to sell me a Blackberry.....
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
rau
Something Custom

was looking at this....... nice and cheap though.......

XKSSTEL X12
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 AM

i love how the x12, or any other phone, has dual sim card capabilities. i ask my cousins from Nam why would you need two sim cards.

"one number to call your wife and the other for your mistress"

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM
rau
Something Custom

Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx
i love how the x12, or any other phone, has dual sim card capabilities. i ask my cousins from Nam why would you need two sim cards.

"one number to call your wife and the other for your mistress"

Kinda like it too, gotta keep my *****es separated
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by rau
was looking at this....... nice and cheap though.......

XKSSTEL X12
Wow, the front looks like a copy of my SE K790a with a few more bells and whistles. LOL.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
iphone 3GS won't be unlocked until the 3.0 software comes out.

as for nokias, stay AWAY from the e71x. it comes with a bunch of stupid AT&T software.
if you're gonna get an e71 get the e71 NAM (north american model)

if you've got $$$ to burn get the nokia n97
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/n...-25-in-the-us/

454$
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
Well, Verizon now lets you swap phones online (i.e. switch out the ESN linked to your number). Also, they have something called "backup assistant" that stores all your contact info. on their databases, so when you actually do switch phones online, you can just download all that contact info onto your new phone - only takes a minute or two. It's actually really convenient. Granted, the process isn't as easy as swapping SIM cards, but it's still pretty easy nonetheless.

The way I've always thought of AT&T vs. Verizon was that AT&T = good phones for cheap, crappy service; Verizon = crappy phones that are expensive; good service that is expensive.

I really do hate the fact that Verizon phones are so crappy, and so overpriced. Also, the fact that they cripple their phones so badly, purposely leave out wifi, etc. is ridiculous. But, at the end of the day, a cell phone only needs to do 1 thing - make calls, and I guess that's why I've stayed with Verizon for so long, because a great phone won't mean jack if you don't get service.
________
Mexicocity hotel

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the hook up on unlocked phones?