Anyone with experience with TP maps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
Anyone with experience with TP maps? 08+ WRX/STi

I'm about to pick up a tatrix cable this week and was wondering if anyone has any experience with open source tuning with the torque performance maps. Specifically people with the 08+ WRX/STi? From what i read it's fairly simple but would rather see it done once or twice before attempting this on my own. I'd be willing to buy you lunch or give you some cash to show me how it's done or help me flash my bought maps to my 11. I live on the Peninsula so i'd be down to come to you if you aren't extremely far or we can meet some where. Let me know!

Last edited by PROcede; 01-17-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
Super easy to do. A little nerve racking at first but after the first time it becomes second nature. Just follow the directions Eric gives you. Just make sure you hit read ECU save it then find the map you want to flash then hit "Test Write" before every flash, heck do it even twice or three times so you feel more comfortable then hit write.

i remember my first flash. I was super scared and nervous, but now I have flashed maybe like 50 times and its like ehhh test then write...cool lets go do some pulls. haha
Old 01-17-2012, 07:53 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRX 5dr OBP
Heh funny timing. I'm expecting to flash mine (for the first time) maybe sometime this weekend. TP Stage 2 on an 09 WRX. No idea how it'll turn out, but my ego is telling me if I can build a PC, I sure as hell won't let a car ECU get the best of me.

Famous last words...
Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by hwob90
Super easy to do. A little nerve racking at first but after the first time it becomes second nature. Just follow the directions Eric gives you. Just make sure you hit read ECU save it then find the map you want to flash then hit "Test Write" before every flash, heck do it even twice or three times so you feel more comfortable then hit write.

i remember my first flash. I was super scared and nervous, but now I have flashed maybe like 50 times and its like ehhh test then write...cool lets go do some pulls. haha
He's one of my good buddy's you think you could help him out Curtis?

Kyle (Imprezard) is using one of their maps too. Rob, don't you have an accessport? why not load through there and log with it?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Heedz
He's one of my good buddy's you think you could help him out Curtis?

Kyle (Imprezard) is using one of their maps too. Rob, don't you have an accessport? why not load through there and log with it?

Thanks Hide.
I've heard better things about the TP maps over the Cobb OTS maps recently so i wanna check these out and if it's worth it. Plus i bought the OTS maps for OpenECU not for the accessport. My gf accidentally broke my accessport don't ask me how >_<
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Name:  tpMAP.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  36.5 KB

Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX 5dr
I am currently running the TP Stage 1 map (w/intake and CBE) and it's amazing how the car responds now. Nerve wraking at first but it's a fairly simple process. Be sure to follow the (simple) instructions to the letter! I've done some pulls and the logs show that everything is fine. The target boot for Stage 1 is 18PSI and i have no knock. From what I read, Cobb's map is more conservative and heard only praises for TP's maps.

When you are done logging, you can send the log files to TP and he can give it his seal of approval. BTW, you will need a laptop and RomRaider for logging. There's also "Virtual Dyno" which is a free and neat little tool.

Last edited by guitar_player; 01-17-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice guys. How does it work with saving your stock map incase you have to go to the dealer for anything?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 PM

When you hit "Read ECU" before flash it will read your stock map and load it to your computer then there is a save button and you can save it to your computer. I also recommend emailing it to yourself, your girlfriend, best friend, and also putting it on a couple flash drives. So if your computer ever goes south you always have it somewhere.

I have helped a couple guys on the forum with their cars and these maps. I dont know much about the actual tuning portion though, I just let Eric from TP play with all that stuff. I find it to mind boggling haha.

Shoot me a PM with your number and I can shoot you some text walking you through it if you need too. But Like I said earlier the best thing to do is just read the instructions he sends with it.

Last edited by hwob90; 01-17-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Car Info: H6 Outback & 08 WRX hatch
When you hit "Read ECU" before flash it will read your stock map and load it to your computer then there is a save button and you can save it to your computer. I also recommend emailing it to yourself, your girlfriend, best friend, and also putting it on a couple flash drives. So if your computer ever goes south you always have it somewhere.
^^agree with all of this. Maybe not so many copies :-), but emailing it to yourself at a cloud address (gmail, etc.) and a flash drive copy at a minimum.

I've got TP stage 1 on my 2008. Been running it for a year and a half now - it is the way the car should have been programmed from the factory. Much better drive-ability and smoother throttle application. Works great at sea level all the way up to Tahoe. I've done some logs periodically to make sure all is well - no problems and Eric is great about reviewing the logs. MPG's are about the same as before the flash.

I'm collecting parts to do stage 2 this spring. No question it will be one of Eric's maps.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax

I have helped a couple guys on the forum with their cars and these maps. I dont know much about the actual tuning portion though, I just let Eric from TP play with all that stuff. I find it to mind boggling haha.

Shoot me a PM with your number and I can shoot you some text walking you through it if you need too. But Like I said earlier the best thing to do is just read the instructions he sends with it.
Maybe I can go out with rob to you and do the dp sale then too
Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Heedz
Maybe I can go out with rob to you and do the dp sale then too
Yeah, that could work I have to find a good day off that works with your guys schedule as well.

I have been running TP maps for about 2years now and have run Stage 1,2, and now running 3. I second the Elevation thing since I have now tested all of the maps up around 7000ft.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
never heard of them...do they only do maps for 08+?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
the most complicated thing about doing a tp map is getting the "race" software from cobb. you have to fill out a form then they will email it to you. it takes about 20 minutes to load onto the AP from your comp. you should then be able to load a TP map on your AP. i just got the race software from cobb last night, ill buy a tp map in the next week or two. also be sure to update your AP, i also found out last night i was like 3 or 4 revisions behind.

slugrx- yes they only do 2008+ maps. im guessing its since the tuner has a 3rd gen sti

Last edited by dub599; 01-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
+1 for TP maps and Curtis. He flashed my 08 with stage 1. Great map and great guy.

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience with TP maps?