Anybody go up to the snow yet? boreal, tahoe, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Car Info: drives a STi
Anybody go up to the snow yet? boreal, tahoe, etc.

Wasup BAIC, I wanted to know if any of yall driven up to boreal or Tahoe yet? How's the snow and how much has it risen? The reason I ask is because me and my gf are going up there in 19th of this month and staying till the 22nd. I'm worried my car will not be driveable since it's pretty low on coils and has a front lip. Here's a pic of my suby how she sits as of now. Lemme know if I need to raise or if it's ok as is. How are u going up there? low or stock height?

DSC00183.jpg?t=1260167000
DSC_0088.jpg?t=1260167056
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
I'd concern more about the tires than anything else... especially if there's a storm like right now.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
The higher your car, the better off you will be. You should be fine, but if there is a gnarly storm they can't plow all the roads and the snow can get high (mostly in neighborhoods/ lower-traffic areas) and then you're kinda effed. Do you have snow tires?

My car is stock height and I *occasionally* have to call the guy that plows my driveway to get him to pull me out to the main road because I just can't clear all the snow... but I live in an area that is not a high-priority-to-plow area so we don't get plowed a whole lot. However, I do see people stuck on main roads if it's dumping good and they can't keep up with the plowing.

Basically, it can't hurt to raise your car. Carry a shovel with you (like a small one that people carry on their packs when they go backcountry skiing). It's better to just do what it takes to be prepared cuz shizz can get nutz up there with little warning.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 PM

Car Info: drives a STi
Thanks guys for the quick response. I do have all seasons tires, I'm not sure if they are considered "snow tires". I will definitely carry a small shovel and I hope the storm is not going to delay our trip too long. Snowboarding here he come! woohoo
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 AM

Car Info: Frankenstein 02' PBP STi :P (RIP) 2016 WRX
it's storming right now. If you stay in Trukee you should be fine because they'll blow the main roads... I
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
All-Season tires are OK on light snow, but SUCK big time on ice & storm condition like in Sierra now.

I'd roll on stockers (if you still got them) if I were you... just in case $#!t happens, you know.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Car Info: .
I just drove from Reno to SF. A whole lot of hype, mostly wind and a little ice here and there. About 4" on the ground around Donner.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 AM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
The sand/dirt CalTrans throws on the road, when mixed with snow and water will make a mess of your bumper. My bumper looks like it's been sand blasted over the years.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 AM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
I just drove from Reno to SF. A whole lot of hype, mostly wind and a little ice here and there. About 4" on the ground around Donner.
You think it's gonna be the same in a week?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:39 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
I'm going with the ladyfriend on Sunday most likely. Was thinking Sat but it may still be snowing enough where I'll get pissy during the s-l-o-w drive. Plus the more time they get to set up trails after this 3ft of powder the better. Still deciding on a resort but most likely Sierra since its a up & back same day and first run of the season.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 AM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback
just got back from northstar today. The drive wasn't bad (left northstar at about 6:30pm since we heard about the traffic/i-80 closures earlier in the day) but just drive slow and safe. I drove my 09 wrx with brand new michelin pilot sport a/s tires (installed this past Friday) and it handled the snow/ice pretty well. There was chain controls in effect but they just waived me thru. It helped that I was riding the low gears most of the time but it was snowing heavily + high gusts of wind (white out conditions at times). By the time we got on 80, the was pretty much plowed but the snow falling was making visibility an issue.

I can't speak about the ride height of your car but my car at stock height was fine. Like some others have said, just make sure your a/s or snow tires are good to go.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
i've drive on my car in the snow before already w/ the lowered stance and a front lip. and it handled fined. i was running the conti extremes on my ride during this time. 0 visibility w/ about 3-4" of snow on the road....and it was ok. just drive carefully and no stupid moves.

my car during this driving condition:

Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  125.1 KB

comparing the 2 pictures, your car is higher off the ground than mine is. so you're fine.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
I plan on making a quick snow drive up to Tahoe or something then coming back. For this reason, I don't really want to buy a set of winter tires since this is just one time.

Is it ok to use A/S tires rated for snow and mud? They're pretty much brand new. I'm definitely planning to go when there's no storm and little snowfall. 2 years ago I took my Suby up there with almost bald RE92s and learned my lesson to never do that again. My car started sliding and I crashed lightly into a guardrail denting in my front fender. Plus, the roads were all plowed.

I'm asking this because I've also been up there via tour bus when it was snowing, and the tour bus didn't even have snow tires on.

Or anyone have a set of snows I can borrow for a day + cash?

Last edited by dSpec; 12-07-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback
Originally Posted by dSpec
Is it ok to use A/S tires rated for snow and mud?
should be fine as long as you drive safely. I made it on my newly mounted a/s tires just fine.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
id get mud and snows, and ditch the all seasons.

the 18th is a looonnnngggg way away, and as you sit it looks fine. but we are suppose to be getting into a really wet snowy pattern for the next few weeks. its cold as hell (8 deg on my outside thermo in truckee) so the roads are a disaster. it totally depends on if we get into a storm pattern or not. if not, the roads will be clear by then.

just remember to drive slow. slower the better.

josh

Quick Reply: Anybody go up to the snow yet? boreal, tahoe, etc.