i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Any of you guys in the Army Reserve? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/any-you-guys-army-reserve-200878/)

woocabin 03-13-2009 12:49 AM

Any of you guys in the Army Reserve?

I am interested in getting more info, also instead of seeing all those 'benefits' and good things about joining, i want to hear the 'bads'.

There shouldn't be much to it but just wondering just in case.

is this possible for me while i attend college?

thanks in advance.

Kevin

Khooda 03-13-2009 01:40 AM

All of that kinda depends on what MOS you pick and what unit you plan on going to. I'm getting out of the Combat Support Hospital(CSH) because they won send me to the middle east. All of it also depends if you're willing to go to Iraq/afghanistan, be ause if you're not. Don't consider the army.

All in all, it's great. I wouldn't have a great job if it wasn't for the service. I'm a medic/nurse/instructor through them, and they paid me to go to school. Great benefits as you know the the GI bill gets better in august.

Ballz 03-13-2009 02:23 AM

Water Boy!

Lurk 03-13-2009 08:15 AM

Have fun on those 18+ month Army deployments. FYI, Reserves get called up first. ;)

woocabin 03-13-2009 09:24 AM

reserves get called up first? really dont join if not willing to go to the middle east?

im not interested in going to afghanistan/iraq because i still need to finish college. there's no place i can serve here?

splinter 03-13-2009 09:28 AM

army hahah...go big or go home be a marine! Im thinking about boot camp this summer be on reserves and then finish up my last year in college and go from there

OneManArmy 03-13-2009 09:45 AM

The negative... no bonus and you still get shipped over.

My brother in law was a reserve in the national guard. When he moved to Oklahoma they moved him to the Army. He's a computer geek and was suppose to be a communications guy. He taught a bunch of people about some new radio and got some good attention. Next thing you know he's infantry and in Iraq.

woocabin 03-13-2009 09:45 AM

^x2 so you dont mind going middle east. i would if i could, but gota finish my education first..

Lboogie 03-13-2009 09:59 AM

I'm not a fan of the way troops are being used these days:

1) 'National Guard' should stay on U.S. soil, not deployed internationally. done & done.

2) You sign a contract in good faith, with the agreement of doing one thing (computer geek communications guy), but end up getting put into general infantry on the front lines. wack wack wack.

3) We don't need a draft, we just need to bring our men & women home.

OneManArmy 03-13-2009 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Lboogie;2553227]I'm not a fan of the way troops are being used these days:

1) 'National Guard' should stay on U.S. soil, not deployed internationally. done & done.

2) You sign a contract in good faith, with the agreement of doing one thing (computer geek communications guy), but end up getting put into general infantry on the front lines. wack wack wack.

3) We don't need a draft, we just need to bring our men & women home.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... this is the kind of kid that never left the house. he's was damn near green he was so white. Was on the computer like 16 hours a day. Super nerd.

I have other buddies that went marines and airborne and what not. They knew what they were signing up for... to a point. You go in to airborne don't be surprised when they dump you out of an airplane to assault and airstrip and kick some doors down.

Lurk 03-13-2009 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=OneManArmy;2553200]The negative... no bonus and you still get shipped over.

My brother in law was a reserve in the national guard. When he moved to Oklahoma they moved him to the Army. He's a computer geek and was suppose to be a communications guy. He taught a bunch of people about some new radio and got some good attention. Next thing you know he's infantry and in Iraq.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how it works in the Army, but in the Marines they don't just select some POGs and put them through SOI to become infantry. I've never heard of that happening.

You can't even do a lateral move into a different MOS until your contract is up.

OneManArmy 03-13-2009 10:23 AM

Got me. When I got told I couldn't fly because of medical reasons I told the military to take a leap.

All I know is what they told him when he signed the paper and what happened were two totally different things. I just remember hearing he was doing some radio/comm stuff and went to some training deal. The civilian instructor was late so he figured out the radio and taught the class until the dude showed up. He got some good attention and it looked like he was going the correct route. Next thing you know we find out that he's doing security tours and guarding a prison in Iraq. Dude got blown all to hell his first week there. RPG. Saw the pictures. Not pretty.

Both my brother in laws are in though. My other brother in law is at Irwin right now.

I've had buddies all over the military but don't talk to them much about the legistics of it.

woocabin 03-13-2009 12:02 PM

wow. never knew this side...

guess im out lol

OneManArmy 03-13-2009 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=wocabin;2553389]wow. never knew this side...

guess im out lol[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of good things too. Paid. Active. Part of a team. You'll get fit and learn some great tools for your future as well as learn discipline you can pretty much only learn in the military.

You need to see what's best for you. Just be aware that there's a good chance you'll do at least 6-8 months overseas. Not likely in Iraq anymore but they're sending troops other places. Under Obama there's a lesser chance so it might be more like the old days. Just show up for your excercises and collect your checks. Under Bush it was here's your shots welcome to the sandbox.

OneManArmy 03-13-2009 12:12 PM

My one brother in law is better off for his experiences. He's married with child now. Has more pride in himself and is not so pale anymore. He even bought a new truck. LOL.

My other brother in law went active at 39 years old. I respect very few people more. Figure out how hard it is on a single young dude.. now picture a 39 year old with a wife and 2 kids. Boot camp is not easy. He's LOVING it though. Hell his tattoo machine has rarely been busier. haaaa. Everyone calls him grandpa. lol. then he kicks their asses. Dude trailed at the pit for years.