Any Deals on Internet/DSL in the SF Area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
Any Deals on Internet/DSL in the SF Area?

Hi all,

My AT&T U-verse contract (promo) expired, so I'm looking for a new deal. Yes, I called them & "threatened" (diplomatically) to cancel. They basically said whatever, ok. smh

I also called Comcast & their best rates right now are 12mb for $39.99/mo or 6mb for $24.99.

Anyone know of better deals? I don't game online and mainly just do web surfing & very occasional movie streaming, so I don't need anything faster than 12mb.

FYI, my intro rate for 6 mos was 6mb for $19.99/mo. Now, I'm paying $46/mo.

Thanks in advance,

CL

Last edited by CLsmooth71; 02-23-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
LOL Im looking for one too. I remember back in the day, when you can call and threaten to cancel, and they will give you another promotion. I had so many promotions on my record, they couldn't give me any more.

Looking for a deal for faster internet at my parents home.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Not sure which part of SF you're in, but check out:
- Sonic.net
- Monkeybrains

Lots of people seem to be satisfied with Monkeybrains (if offered in your area). Sonic.net is also pretty good depending which part you're in.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:36 PM

yeah, the whole i'm gonna cancel. send me to your customer retention dept song & dance doesn't seem to fly anymore.

dspec,

thanks for the suggestions, but i checked sonic & monkeybrains. sonic is like $40 w/phone svc. i don't need a land line, but it's part of their package. monkeybrains isn't available in my area, & they're even more expensive.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Do you live with anyone else? You could always cancel uverse and have a family member/room mate sign up to get a new promotion. That or call their CS again and hope for someone who cares about retaining customers, it's pretty much rolling the dice on that.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT and 06 WRX TR
Originally Posted by CLsmooth71
Hi all,

My AT&T U-verse contract (promo) expired, so I'm looking for a new deal. Yes, I called them & "threatened" (diplomatically) to cancel. They basically said whatever, ok. smh

I also called Comcast & their best rates right now are 12mb for $39.99/mo or 6mb for $24.99.

Anyone know of better deals? I don't game online and mainly just do web surfing & very occasional movie streaming, so I don't need anything faster than 12mb.

FYI, my intro rate for 6 mos was 6mb for $19.99/mo. Now, I'm paying $46/mo.

Thanks in advance,

CL
PM me your BAN number for AT&T. I can ask to see if they can put u in another promotional package to retain you as a customer. I will try my best to help out. Otherwise, goodluck.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by dSpec
Not sure which part of SF you're in, but check out:
- Sonic.net
+1 for Sonic! They don't cap your speed. You get what you can at your distance to phone station.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Do you live with anyone else? You could always cancel uverse and have a family member/room mate sign up to get a new promotion. That or call their CS again and hope for someone who cares about retaining customers, it's pretty much rolling the dice on that.
yeah, i thought about canceling & signing up again (currently under my gf's name). hopefully it won't come to that. 04FXTurbo's trying to help me out first.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Hopefully o4fxtturbo can help you out and you'll lucky you have options in my area i have comcast and comcast since uverse isn't available last time i checked. I also have to have comcast for tv due to an HOA. If you just change names on the account i would have call a few days before you cancel or after you cancel to set up service so it just looks like someone else in moving into the building.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Use your neighbor's unsecured WiFi.

/thread
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
oh yussssssss i love both my ISP's

on wifi
Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by CLsmooth71

thanks for the suggestions, but i checked sonic & monkeybrains. sonic is like $40 w/phone svc. i don't need a land line, but it's part of their package. monkeybrains isn't available in my area, & they're even more expensive.

Sonic might offer just DSL only (non-fusion), if u have AT&T line. I remember seeing it for around $20/month. They don't show it on the main page because they want customers to go with Fusion (DSL plus phone service). You can always post on the https://forums.sonic.net/index.php Sonic forums and ask. The Sonic CEO frequently visits the forum and responds to questions/comments.

Last edited by TurnWRX; 02-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Sonic might offer just DSL only (non-fusion), if u have AT&T line. I remember seeing it for around $20/month. They don't show it on the main page because they want customers to go with Fusion (DSL plus phone service). You can always post on the https://forums.sonic.net/index.php Sonic forums and ask. The Sonic CEO frequently visits the forum and responds to questions/comments.
It maybe worth switching the landline from ATT to Sonic (if available). I had a very basic phone line (cheapest one can get) from ATT (metered local) and the overall price (including all the taxes) was $20+/mo. So I went with Fusion. Getting ~8Mbit/s DL and 0.8Mbit/s UL (with 5,242 wire feet from CO). Phone service comes with all the possible services including free eFax with a local number. Service is top notch! Price including all the taxes is $50/mo.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Just to add. I'd go with Comcast over AT&T U-Verse if I need to choose between these two.

You may get a slightly better deals with one of the Comcast retailers rather than dealing with Comcast directly. Check Comcast Deals, Bundles, and Promotions on Comcast Internet and Cable. Sometime ago they were giving free modems. That may still be active. Normally Comcast lease their modems for $7/mo unless you buy your own (they are OK with that).

Also with Comcast you'll have to pay $10 or $15 monthly (after the introductory period is over) if you don't have any TV subscriptions through them. So it may be worth just getting a basic cable TV which will cost about the same.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by wwrx
It maybe worth switching the landline from ATT to Sonic (if available). I had a very basic phone line (cheapest one can get) from ATT (metered local) and the overall price (including all the taxes) was $20+/mo. So I went with Fusion. Getting ~8Mbit/s DL and 0.8Mbit/s UL (with 5,242 wire feet from CO). Phone service comes with all the possible services including free eFax with a local number. Service is top notch! Price including all the taxes is $50/mo.

You don't have to tell me, I'm already a Sonic customer But it's not $50 (unless you were grandfathered in) for new customers since they charge $6 (and change) to lease a modem every month (non-negotiable). So it's roughly in the $56-58 range for new customers. Still better than AT&T's plan. Plus there is long distance plan included, with some select countries that you can call unlimited for free.

Quick Reply: Any Deals on Internet/DSL in the SF Area?