Any 408 shops carry Motul or Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STi, 1997 Eclipse GST(SOLD)
Any 408 shops carry Motul or Amsoil?

Looking to change my oil and was wondering if anyone know of any spots close to 408 area.

I know autoHQ carries motul but any in 408?

LMK

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I think Speed Element does.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STi, 1997 Eclipse GST(SOLD)
Originally Posted by queeg9k
I think Speed Element does.
Yea they do but only motul and mobile1.

Looking for other options. I just checked Winchester Auto and they carry amsoil but at 10.95/qt.

Exploring more options guys...
Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Get the Subaru oil. ~$7.50 a quart and is what SUBARU USES I buy it by the case.

Rotella t6 is even cheaper and can be found at most Walmarts, but it is 40W.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
Allied Auto in Fremont carries Amsoil... not sure about Motul.

I use Rotella in my subaru. good stuff. High ZDDP as well. I have read oil reports of people leaving it in for 6k miles and the oil still have good properties.

As for filters I would recommend a PureOne filter. Cheapest I can find is Amazon

Last edited by cueballsi; 07-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 13 DGM BRZ
I have 9 (2 liter = 2.1 quart) Motul 300V 5w30 if you run 5w30. I just bought a dozen of these and have spare. Also have OEM filters too.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Goodies Speed Shop - Racing Equipment, Speed & Performance Parts, Engine Design & Building, Fuel Injection Fabrication & Tuning, Wheels and Tires, & More!
on Junction & Charcot in San Jose (inside Club Autosport) keeps a ton of Amsoil on the shelf.
It's where I get mine, they keep gallon jugs so it's cheaper for an oil change
Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I would recommend the OEM filters, period. There have been a lot of discussions on oil and filters, and while there are a lot of them out there that may be better or as good, but I've been using them since I bought my car and have never had an issue. If you buy in quantity, they are cheap (~$5-6).

I tried the Rotella and noticed that though it lasts and works well, the heavier weight seems to cause the motor to lag a bit. I talked to Mann Eng. about it and they said the same thing - they even noticed a slight mileage penalty running it so I stopped using it.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Car Info: 2011 swp wrx 5dr
Originally Posted by 04GG
...they even noticed a slight mileage penalty running it so I stopped using it.

^This (from my personal experience)
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
IMHO there is zero benefit to running a 40wt oil in a street car and a lot of downsides.
The heavier your oil, the longer it takes the system to prime. 95% of the wear to your engine occurs during start-up while the system is priming and pressurizing oil to the main bearings. You want to minimize the time it takes to prime by running the lightest viscosity oil you can without thermal breakdown.

The high-viscosity oil myth is a holdover from the days of crappy natural base oils. Today's synthetics have thermal breakdown temps that are off the charts compared to (for example) the old Castrol 50wt race oils

Also IMHO - I've never seen a reason to run anything but factory Subaru oil filters If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
I thoguht the 5w means it flows like a 5 weight, but protects like a 40.

Originally Posted by Lowend
IMHO there is zero benefit to running a 40wt oil in a street car and a lot of downsides.
The heavier your oil, the longer it takes the system to prime. 95% of the wear to your engine occurs during start-up while the system is priming and pressurizing oil to the main bearings. You want to minimize the time it takes to prime by running the lightest viscosity oil you can without thermal breakdown.

The high-viscosity oil myth is a holdover from the days of crappy natural base oils. Today's synthetics have thermal breakdown temps that are off the charts compared to (for example) the old Castrol 50wt race oils

Also IMHO - I've never seen a reason to run anything but factory Subaru oil filters If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by cueballsi; 07-09-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I get my Amsoil from Allied Auto in Fremont as well. It is costly no matter where you get it unless you can get it at wholesale prices and still its not that cheap.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
I get my amsoil from Winchester Auto... On Aborn and white in San Jose. Local and uber close to my casa!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by Lowend

Originally Posted by cueballsi
I thoguht the 5w means it flows like a 5 weight, but protects like a 40.
A 5W-40 will flow like a 5 Weight only when Cold. Once the oil heats up to Operating Temperature it will behave like a 40 Weight. Now however if you are talking about a Straight 5 Weight or a Straight 40 Weight then it will behave like the actual weight you use the entire time (Both Cold & Hot Operating Temperatures). Most people I've seen though typically do not run a Straight Weight in their Street Driven cars (at least not currently, perhaps years ago, but most oils you see are typically a 0 Weight to 15 Weight for Cold properties and then something typically in the range of 20 Weight to 50 Weight for Hot properties {There are others with different ranges, but not typically purchased or seen on the shelves at the local stores}).

If your car can function properly with a lower Weight oil then that is typically what you most likely will want to use. Ultimately you want to use the oil that matches your needs for your car. If you have a normal street driven car you may not need a x-40 Weight oil, but if you were someone that takes their car to the track / auto-x / whatever type of racing event then you may need the Weight Oils. However, even higher mileage motors may be better off running a higher Weight of oil if the engine is tired and getting to the point that it needs to be refreshed.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Can someone elaborate on the "slight milage penalty" of rotella t6?

Never seen anything about it on the millions of nasioc threads about how awesome rt6 is

Quick Reply: Any 408 shops carry Motul or Amsoil?