Another Kelley Park Homeless Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Post Another Kelley Park Homeless Update

Some of you guys have seen my battles to get a large homeless encampment removed from my neighborhood.
A week an a half ago (after a several month battle) we succeeded in getting the City of San Jose to do a sweep. The city removed 5+ TONS of garbage, and the following weekend I worked with a group of volunteers to remove another few hundred pounds of trash from the creek.

It's now been less than 2 weeks since the clean up. SJPD has refused to patrol the area, so homeless are moving back in.

Here's a news report from last night
Homeless Campers Return To San Jose's Kelley Park « CBS San Francisco
(yes I'm Brett)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM

More info
This is an email I sent to SJPD Chief of Police Chris Moore on July 19th
Chief Moore - I am not sure if you will remember me, we spoke at the Santa Clara Valley Water District meeting regarding the homeless in Coyote Creek / Kelley Park. I am a resident of The Springbook Complex immediately adjacent to the Kelley Park open space.

As you likely know; earlier today the City of San Jose did a large scale clean-up/homeless eviction at Kelley Park today. Over 5-tons of trash were removed from the homeless encampments. A good number of the homeless population has agreed to join city programs through EHC and by all counts this was a resounding success.

My major concern now is maintaining a homeless encampment free Kelley Park.

To be brief; we need SJPD to provide patrols through the Kelley Park open space on a regular basis. I am not asking for an officer to post in the park, nor am I asking for foot patrols. A simple nightly drive down the fire road (pictured here: Google Maps ) with a shining of the squad car's spot light on the tree line will likely show enough of a presence to prevent resettlement.

This would not be a large commitment of resources as I consistently see officers posting in patrol cars in the neighborhood and often times in the Kelley Park parking lot. Total investment of time for this expanded patrol could be less than 10 minutes a night and save the city thousands of dollars in clean-up costs, or BLM fines in the future.

Please consider my request and respond.
The office of the Chief's response
Moore, Christopher CHRISTOPHER.MOORE@sanjoseca.gov
Jul 23 (6 days ago)

to me
Mr. Klynn:

Chief Moore has received your e-mail. He will forward your e-mail to the Deputy Chief of Field Operations (BFO), Larry Esquivel; BFO is responsible for the patrol division of the department. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Chief Esquivel at xxxxxxx.

Thanks,

Sergeant Gina Tibaldi #3798
Chief's Adjutant
Office of the Chief of Police
Chief Esquivel than promptly ignored me for a week.

Last edited by Lowend; 07-29-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Yesterday, after having 4 intentionally set fires in 12 hours in the field in front of my house; I started calling the press.

The fact checkers from KTVU and KPIX news apparently got the SJPD's attention because yesterday I finally got a response (note the time on a Saturday)

Knopf, Dave CHRISTOPHER.KNOPF@sanjoseca.gov
7:26 PM (15 hours ago)

to Anthony, me, Larry
Mr. Klynn,

Chief Esquivel asked that I get back to you on this since Captain Ciaburro, our Western Division Captain, is currently on vacation and won’t be back until next week. I have sent notifications to the District Supervisors of your area, requesting their officers do Patrol Checks the area of Kelly Park including the fire road. I will also be sending the same request to the City Park Rangers. Also, the request for patrol checks will take a few days to get to all three shifts and on both sides of the week.

Chief Esquivel, myself and the other captains are certainly concerned about the developments at Kelly Park with the encampment clean-up. I have a number of large encampments in Central Division that will eventually undergo the same clean-up efforts as Kelly Park. We are all concerned with how these areas will be appropriately maintained after the clean-up efforts.

I realize you are not asking for a large dedication of resources; this is evident in your email. I just want to be up front and hope you understand that our patrol resources are spread very thin. We are currently deploying officers in the best possible way with what we have. We will do our best to address the continuing issues you have been seeing at the Park since the clean-up.

Captain Ciaburro has been cc’d in this email for your reference and so he is aware of your concerns. I would encourage you to update Captain Ciaburro on how things are progressing.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Dave

.................................................. ..........
Captain Dave Knopf #2923
San Jose Police Department
B.F.O. | Central Division
Funny how finding out your BS is going to be broadcast to a few million people will illicit a response.

...more to follow
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Want to steal my car?
I get stabby!

Car Info: 05 Wrx Impreza
Wow ^ they basically told ya to eff off lol. They are just gonna pass the buck someone else in the dept and repeat. Nice try though, I would be pissed too if I had some lowlifes in my backyard circle jerking and smoking meth all night.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Now - here's something to really **** everyone off.
The SJPD has a pattern of allowing this to happen. Below is an email from John Davis a member of another community in San Jose that's also had homeless issues.
The encampment in his area got a clean up in early June. In this case as well SJPD refused to patrol the area, and the homeless returned.

Jun 26

Ladies and Gentlemen,
THE SQUATTERS ARE BACK!

Along with this email I am attaching the latest pictures that were taken on June 23rd, 2012. These pictures are of the two clean ups preformed just one week ago on Thursday the 14th. Both of these sites are on the East side of Coyote Creek on the Olinder Park side north of 280 to be exact.

I would like to go over with you again the process of the cleanup last Thursday:

1. 13 trucks were brought in from San Jose Water District and City of SJ.

2. 3 trash compactors trucks

3. 30 people consisting of

4. 2 City Representatives

5. 3 Water District Representatives

6. 2 police officers

7. Other miscellaneous cleanup crews.

In my last email sent on June 20th, 2012 I asked, “How will you keep the squatters from coming back”? The answer I was given by both city workers and police officers were, “it’s complicated.” I asked the police “why aren’t these two squatters being cited?” The response I received was, “The police chief said we couldn’t enforce the law because its complicated.”

So, now the squatters are back rebuilding the same trash it took 30 people and 16 vehicles to get rid of. Now it’s gotten even more “complicated” and more expensive! They are back polluting the creek, making camp fires, littering their waste, and making all kinds of noise in the middle of the night.

Isn’t it the City’s job to use our tax payer’s money to the highest and best use? Isn’t that correct? Just look at all the effort, resources, and time that was put in last week to remove these squatters, and now they’ve come back! Am I the only one who is upset, frustrated, and FED UP with all of this? I cannot begin to describe the total lack of disregard for the laws that were put in place for a specific reason. Now these laws are being ignored! WHY? IT’S COMPLICATED!

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN TAKE CHARGE OF THIS TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THE VERY LAWS YOU WOULD ENFORCE ON CIVILIANS LIKE ME?

Thank you,

John Davis.

Last edited by Lowend; 07-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 1999 Legacy Brighton
I suspect the whole "they are lighting fires" will be the impetus you need to get the ball rolling. If the cops fail to act knowing that is going on, then negligence might come into play.

Best of luck.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 AM

The SJPD is claiming that they don' t have the budget to have a patrol car drive through Kelley Park a couple of times a night. I understand that times are tight.
But how many hundreds of thousands of dollars does the city spend on clean-ups that are essentially wasted. How much does it cost the city every time they have to dispatch SJFD to put out a fire set by the homeless in Kelley Park (~9 times in less than 60 days BTW)?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Lowend
The SJPD is claiming that they don' t have the budget to have a patrol car drive through Kelley Park a couple of times a night. I understand that times are tight.
But how many hundreds of thousands of dollars does the city spend on clean-ups that are essentially wasted. How much does it cost the city every time they have to dispatch SJFD to put out a fire set by the homeless in Kelley Park (~9 times in less than 60 days BTW)?
Maybe if they stop sending out 7 cruisers to one call on my street, and maybe just 3. They will have more money and time to send out to kelley park? Seriously, when pd is on my street down town, they are ON it.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Wow, you're a lot more well-spoken on the news than on the boards!
Kidding, kidding!

But in all seriousness, that really sucks. I always find it amazing how ineffective law enforcement usually is in the Bay Area when it comes to homelessness.
Here's hoping that the problem gets taken care of someway, somehow!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Go buy some blank firing .223's, go out on your porch, fire a couple (2) off, then immediatly call the pigs and say the hobos have guns and are shooting them at god knows what... That will get the lazy ****ers attention!!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM

Car Info: Bagged 2014 STi
Well that sucks, all that hard work for nothing. I hope it all works out and they give them the boot for good.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
the police department and the fire department are both getting so many cuts right now I'm honestly not surprised that they could care less about some homeless people in a park's creek.

I feel your pain, i too would be super annoyed with homeless people near my house. but the city really does not have the resources to deal with some homeless people.

just curious did you vote in June about police and firefighter cuts?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Its not a park I go to but thank you for fighting the good fight. It must be more than frustrating to clean up after them after they have been removed and have the city DO NOTHING to keep it happening again.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Car Info: wrx wagon 05
time to start up some urban hunting trips like in hard target
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 AM

Car Info: wrx wagon 05
time to start up some urban hunting trips like in hard target

Quick Reply: Another Kelley Park Homeless Update