Americas Tire - scratching rims to install balance weights??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Car Info: On 2 wheels
Originally Posted by Gancherov
It's a tiny little scratch on the INSIDE of the wheel, and it's only visible when you got on your hands and knees to wash the wheel.
lol now I see it. This guy puts it best ^
Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 07 SWP STi
it's only your stock rims. not some expensive advans/works/etc.

Originally Posted by Gancherov
It's a tiny little scratch on the INSIDE of the wheel, and it's only visible when you got on your hands and knees to wash the wheel.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Weird, when I used to work there, we used basically a rubbing alcohol solution and a really flexible knife to take off weights. (We didn't care if some of the double stick tape stuck though). However, to clean off the brake dust to get a clean wheel for the double stick tape, just a rag and some of the rubbing alcohol solution, never a wire brush or anything similar.

Sucks too, because most of the head and maybe main assistant managers at ATC are great people. I know my old manager in Dublin would bend over backwards to help customers. If you haven't already I'd recommend talking to the head manager. Almost everyone that works the counter (not in the back) is some type of manager and most don't give a crap. It's only the head manager that cares about the customers.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
I go to the Dublin Discount Tires and they were great people. The person that helped me was also a Subaru owner and we talked for a bit. I'm not sure how the other Discount Tires are, but I hope you can get thinks resolved quickly. Sorry to hear what happened to your wheels.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX San Remo Red
I'm not sure why it would be seen as a tiny scratch. the area above the valve that looks like it's white...is white because that's just primer left and the paint is gone. All four rims like that. 1 inch wide, 3 to 4 inches long and some of it carying over to the lip of the rim on one of them.

I'm also dont think the logic follows to say if they were after market rims, then complain, but for stockers "what do you expect". Wire brush on a painted surface = paint removal tool, not a cleaner.

I'll go to the shop tuesday. they can tell me what's possible here. I wonder if there is rim touch up paint from Subaru.

I've bought tires multiple times from ATC and never had any issues.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by kyle sti
Just because they aren't expensive wheels doesn't mean they can't be scratch free. I would be pissed if my stock wheels were scratched by a tire shop and I'm sure you would feel the same way.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
**** like this cracks me up.
OP...where did you buy the tires?
How much did you pay for mount and balance?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX San Remo Red
I bought the tires at ATC, Conti Extreme DWS and had installed on Monday last week. Out the door ~600. I had to replace my potenza's because one tire was totally jacked and ready to shred (50K on the potenzas)

Last edited by kinkers; 07-30-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
You bought the tires at the store that mounted them for you?
If so, talk to the manager...if that doesn't work, call BAR.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 AM

Car Info: Eclipse
i had my wheel checked for punctures at a discount tires. their machine stripped off all the paint on the face haha...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Car Info: Drove a Cavalier with a WRX body kit
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Call another America Tires and other big tire installers too (Costco, Goodyear) and ask them if they use wire brushes to scrape away a fresh spot to mount weights. When they so "No, that'd damage the wheel." say "Thank you very much."

Then go back to the offending AT and politely ask to talk to the manager. Go over the situation politely. If he again says that is common practice bring up that homework that you did, showing that it is not common practice, including at other AT's.

If that doesn't work you might have to complain to corporate. Manager will most likely be trying to protect his ***, but corporate is worried about protecting the image of the company.
Very Solid advice. Key thing is be calm and polite. It get more things done and in your favor.
Remember always remember to get the person's/manager's name for reference.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
between them scratching rims and using impact guns on tuner lug nuts,ive lost my **** on them 2x. i stand and watch their every move.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Could be worse, saw this today on my way home from work...

Name:  26723fc4.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  a644e5b6.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  93.4 KB

I would go ape**** if that happened to my BMW.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by kinkers
You guys can clearly see it in the pics right?
Yes I can clearly see them, anyone who cant see that....... is clearly blind.

Originally Posted by kyle sti
The point really isn't about which type of rims were damage, but more of the fact that the damaged actually happened. Whether it be expensive wheels or stockers, this should not be happening AT ALL. And what if they were advans and such....... they would probably do the same thing. Thats a problem.

And apparently OP is careful enough of his belongings to keep them clean, so of course this would bother anyone of that nature. I don't even keep my **** clean and I would be furious about this. Think about the logic here......
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Check the workorder you signed too. Chances are you wont be able to do anything about it. I would think tire shops have that in the small print somewhere regarding scratches and what not.

Sucks brah. Thats the same reason I would only get my aftermarket rims balanced and mounted at a specialty shop.

@Jourdan: How are you supposed to balance those BMW rims if you cant put weights on the outside. The lip is too big. Im curious.

Quick Reply: Americas Tire - scratching rims to install balance weights??