All this food talk, so what is the best SALSA in the bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
All this food talk, so what is the best SALSA in the bay area?

I've been on a salsa kick lately and have been looking for some good local salsa that I can buy. This thread is going to be about the great bay area salsa bars, restaurants that make their own, AND is going to be about the best store bought stuff as well.

When I say salsa, I'm not talking about Pico Di gallo (which is pretty much diced up veggies, salsa is more of a sauce).

Best fresh salsa:
Mexico Lindo in San Jose, and Union City have GREAT salsa. I always enjoy it the most when I go there.

I might get lynched for this, but as much as Chili's isn't mexican food, their salsa, although not authentic at all, is friggin GREAT!! I can just eat their chips, tortillas and salsa as a meal, easy! Anyone here agree with me? My mexican friends say that Chilis is Texan food, and shouldn't be affiliated with Mexico at all. Still great salsa though!

Best store bought salsa: I don't know what the best store bought salsa is, but I do know that the WORST is PACE. Wow, this is incredibly horrible. Made in NEW YORK CITY?!?!? Get a rope!

Lets hear about some great salsas around here! If you want to add your own recipe, feel free.

My person favs are salsas that are rich in veggies. Not as thick as Pico Di Gallo, but still to have something on your chip every time you dip. Lots of cilantro and peppers too!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 AM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
My favorite spot is The Mecca in downtown Pittsburg, I swear I can drink that salsa. i grew up eating this place and it would be a shame if i didnt mention it.
Next would probably be a little spot called Taqueria Salsa. Its in Antioch by the mall and that salsa is bomb!!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Every time I go to La Pinata in San Leandro, I always keep getting bowls of their salsa and a basket of chips. It's got good heat and flavor in it. It's a bit on the runny side, but it's tasty.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Hollandaze
Every time I go to La Pinata in San Leandro, I always keep getting bowls of their salsa and a basket of chips. It's got good heat and flavor in it. It's a bit on the runny side, but it's tasty.
this
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Car Info: Type 53
i live by a Chavez Supermarket and i brought home a pound of pico di gallo and had it over the course of the day.
really fresh ingredients, great amount of silantro, and it's not too runny.

daniel you can also get a slapchop and make your own salsa, as chunky as you want with proper ingredients.

Last edited by mcast; 10-23-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: daniel should get a slapchop.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Taqueria Vallarta will answer any mexican food dilemma you may have. Come see us in Felton! lols
Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX
Originally Posted by subi4justin
My favorite spot is The Mecca in downtown Pittsburg, I swear I can drink that salsa. i grew up eating this place and it would be a shame if i didnt mention it.
I grew up in Pittsburg eating this as well. I love slopping my pork burritos with it. Even though it's not salsa, I also love their bean dip. It is scrumptous.

La Vics has good Orange sauce, but it doesn't meet your requirements of being a salsa. That's the only reason why folks tend to go to Vics cuz their food is mostly just average.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
Taqueria Vallarta will answer any mexican food dilemma you may have. Come see us in Felton! lols
haha vallarta is pretty good i must admit...the new one on mission st here in sc is really nice
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by subi4justin
Next would probably be a little spot called Taqueria Salsa. Its in Antioch by the mall and that salsa is bomb!!
I know both very well, and agree!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Store bought: Casa Sanchez

End of discussion.

-Brian
Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
From an epicurian

Pico de gallo is salsa. That's why they call is salsa picada or "chopped salsa". Are we talking salsa roja?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:15 PM

Car Info: black 06 wrx
salsa buena is hands down my favorite store bought. only problem is the only place i know of that sells it is the summit store in santa cruz mountains and the wholefoods in los gatos. it is made fresh locally by a wife of one of my old highschool teachers. so if you are ever near los gatos make a stop by wholefoods market. it is in a shopping center on los gatos blvd and blossom hill rd. you wont regret it! you may even want to check other wholefoods in the san jose area cause i know she is expanding pretty fast. so try and track some down!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Store bought: Casa Sanchez

End of discussion.

-Brian
Yes!! This stuff is awesome, the "Hot" and the "Roasted Chili" are my favs.. My favorite though is home made, but you have to let it sit for a bit...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
the kind from the farmers market, its spicy and its very fresh

Last edited by flat489; 10-25-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by indolegend89
the kind from the framers market, its spicy and its very fresh
Is that some sort of carpentry convention? j/k......

Forgot to mention - my favorite taqueria is in Belmont - "El Metate" on Harbor right at the 101 exit/onramp across the street from Devil's Canyon. They make their own salsa and chips and it's AWESOME. Mix a little of the fresh in with the red hot salsa and get some chips... YOW.

Quick Reply: All this food talk, so what is the best SALSA in the bay area?