Advice from SFSU students needed

Old 06-01-2013, 06:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Advice from SFSU students needed

Do/did any i-clubbers go to SFSU? My UK cousin wants to come live in my in-law unit for a year and attend school there but just got told she can only work jobs on campus because of her visa. We live in Pacifica so she will need travel money and spending money.

Does anybody know how hard it is to land jobs on campus and how much she needs as a minimum, I'll take care of rent, food, bills etc so I'm guessing she won't need that much.

Any advice appreciated
Old 06-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
I don't attend SFSU, but I can speak from experience having been on both sides of the fence (student/faculty @ Sac State).

There are a variety of student jobs on campus. Most Departments are allotted a budget from their respective Colleges and/or the University for student assistants. For most science Departments, these are of the nature of working in the laboratory stock room (checking out equipment, maintenance, etc) or working IN the Department (office work, answering phones, students' questions etc). Depending on her major, I would start there. I imagine she's on some kind of student visa and not a work visa, so jobs like these would not be disallowed. In addition to the various Departments, there is also the University library.

At Sac State, there is an organization called ASI, a student organization that has employment opportunities for students. Jobs such as these should also be available to her under a student visa. ASI runs a whole array of programs employing students (aquatic center, day care, etc). I would look into seeing if SFSU has something equivalent.

Depending on how the University has their service (food service, retail, etc) contracts structured, she may or may not be able to get a job working in the on campus restaurants if they are owned and operated by private companies in which she would need a work visa to gain employment. A large number of student jobs at Sac State are through a company called UEI, which is under the umbrella of the University, which operates the Union and other facilities on campus. But the campus also has fixtures, such as Round Table Pizza, which are owned and operated by outside private companies.

I would start with looking into student positions with the Department she in majoring in as this would be beneficial for a variety reasons foremost getting to know the faculty. Next would be other Departments within the College, then other Departments on campus. Lastly would be the bookstore, union, etc, if run by student organizations and/or the University.

Last edited by Rev. Rob Large; 06-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Thanks Rob. Good info
Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Car Info: civic
i attended SFSU and graduated there couple years back. they're always hiring for bookstore, other parts of the campus so it shouldn't be a problem.

Plenty of work opportunities on campus alone, so i think she'll be alright. GL.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
I worked at Sierra College for a couple years in the Financial Aid office. We would hired a new student or two like every semester (depending on how many left/budget).

The thing about the book store is that for 90% of the student employees, its a temp job where they will hire you for the first few weeks of the semester (when they are slammed) and maybe the last couple weeks for people selling books back.