90% of vehicles are passing the BAR exhaust test

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:40 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
90% of vehicles are passing the BAR exhaust test

Found this on another site, thought I would pass this along as its a pretty good read

CALIFORNIA EXHAUST NOISE TESTING PROGRAM PROVES OVERWHELMING SUCCESS

Nine of Ten Vehicles Tested by BAR Are in Compliance with California Law

WASHINGTON (Jan. 14, 2004) -- The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) reports that approximately 90 percent of the nearly-600 vehicles that have undergone the state's new exhaust-noise test have been certified to be in compliance with California law. BAR began operation of the motor vehicle exhaust noise-testing program in late summer 2003. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, allows California hobbyists to prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards.

"This information validates our long-held contention that a vast majority of citations written for violation of California's exhaust noise laws are, in fact, erroneous," said SEMA Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. "For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers has deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal,even when the noise levels met state standards."

The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. The 40 Smog Check stations that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations are issuing certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95decibels under SAE test procedure J1169. However, only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation are permitted to submit their vehicle for the test.

"Motorists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance prefer aftermarket exhaust systems," McDonald added. "By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this program is proving to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law."

BAR has yet to issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the test. Tests are currently being performed at no cost to consumers. BAR has established a toll free number (800/622-7733) to accept phone calls from motorists who have received citations for excessive exhaust noise and wish to have the test performed. BAR officials have asked that cited motorists have the citation and vehicle registration information available when calling.

SEMA represents the $27 billion specialty automotive industry. Founded in 1963, the trade association has 5,222 member companies. It is the authoritative source of research data, trends and market growth information for automakers and the specialty auto products industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and technology products for passenger cars, minivans, trucks, SUVs and recreational vehicles. For more information, contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA, 91765-3914; call 909/396-0289; or visit www.sema.org or www.enjoythedrive.com.

Approximately 90 percent of the nearly-600 vehicles that have undergone California's new exhaust-noise test have been certified to be in compliance with California law.

California Bureau of Automotive Repair technicians use the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 to check that a vehicle's exhaust noise is no more than 95decibels specified by California law
Old 02-22-2004, 06:16 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Good info, Scott - thanks. I thought we were once again at the mercy of the citing officer.

I found the original SEMA article here. There are two pics linked from that article that show a technician performing the SAE test procedure J1169.

This does not mean that vehicles equipped with known aftermarket exhausts will be exempt from being cited in the future, just that the owners will now have recourse to resolve the citation at no cost (for now) other than the time it takes to schedule an appointment for testing.

I think a fair way of balancing the need for the BAR testing service and the cost of operating it should be borne by those vehicle owners who are cited for noise and fail the SAE test. No free re-test. They should apply a non-reusable sticker to the muffler section indicating compliance.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-22-2004, 01:45 PM

I've never been cited before, but don't people who get sent to the ref swap out their exhaust for their stock one?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
If you get cited and are in compliance, I would strongly suggest you carry your certificate with you to avoid geting cited again.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
i allways carry my certificate with me
Old 02-22-2004, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
Originally posted by dr3d1zzl3
i allways carry my certificate with me
What about a dictionary? You ever carry one of those? Hah! j/k

josh
Old 02-22-2004, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
lol...I suck at spelling too

-freddie
Old 02-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I always carry my gun with me, does that halp???
Old 02-22-2004, 05:52 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by Ex-ricer
What about a dictionary? You ever carry one of those? Hah! j/k

josh
damnit Josh!

Call me on my cell

-Zoeb

[/ot]
Old 02-23-2004, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Good info. Here's hoping that the HKS Hi-Power, Fujitsubo Power Getter, and/or the Greddy Power Evo II will meet standards
And the snowball's chance in hell: Blitz Nur-Spec (hey a guy can dream right? )
Old 02-28-2004, 10:34 AM

is there a list of the cars that did meet the standard? do you know if the vishnu signature series does?
Old 02-28-2004, 11:22 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
its going to be a headache for a while, thats for sure. We now have some sort of recourse to show that we are in compliance with the law, that makes me happy.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
Too bad they didn't list what exhausts passed their tests

Quick Reply: 90% of vehicles are passing the BAR exhaust test