'64 Impala Air ride and interior Project

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
haha ballin car dude, hella gangster
Old 03-13-2008, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Originally Posted by krzyxrevver12
vogues and daytons.. will look sick.. nice whip
Yeah, just not my style. I am going more for the muscle car look. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by wimprezax06
make it shiny!
haha, seriously! but nah, its super dirty right now from working on it. But you better believe the day i get the bags in, it will be washed and waxed with love. It actually cleans up nice.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback. Just finished all the wiring last night and fired it up for the first time. Compressors shut off at 200 psi and held overnight. Checked it this morning and it was 196 psi. Only lost 5 psi overnight. Pretty good sign i have no air leaks.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
yeah I've got some firestone bags right now. 2600's and 2500's. I'm gonna do slam specialties on my caddy. Less expansion. Killer bags. Very similar set up to yours actually. One big tank 2 viar 100% compressors. Flipping the tank so the ports are on the back. Hanging it. Custom trunk. Raising the wheel wells front and rear 2 inches. big notch in the back. Should lay frame.

Got custom springs for the front and custom ubolts and spacers for the back for a 2.5 inch drop front and rear. Gonna get my leafs rebent and repainted black.

Not gonna do the frame/bags til' after summer though.

Have to get the motor back in, get the body work done, get the 2.5" lower stuff on there and roll it all summer for the show season.

Then over the winter do the frame/bags and paint. Well I might paint the roof and visor during the summer. Paint the body/interior etc over the winter when the frame is done.
sick bro!! sounds like you got big plans for the caddy. Cant go wrong with a caddy. Those things are solid. my buddy had a 67 back in school.. He would beat the crap out of it, swing it every corner, still ran like a champ.

Yeah I did some extensive research on what bags to buy. I was looking at slam specialties, firestone and a couple other ones. Everybody is raving about the slam specialties bags. Plus the website from the company i bought stuff from said they highly recommend slam specialties because there have been like 2 or 3 returns out of all the bags they have sold. So that sold me. But good **** bro. Good luck with your caddy project. Hope to be cruising this summer. Maybe we should caravan. I am going to be in the good guys car show on may 31st. You should roll out and say whats up.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
banned

Car Info: ummm?
Clean setup.

Compression fittings aren't my thing, too many issues with time. Push to connect is more of my thing. The extra money up front, and the fact that I've gone 50k miles on my ride since installing everything...is a great piece of mind.

Slams, great bags, HORRID ride. Conitechs are great for upfront, hell firestones are awesome for up front. Can't beat the slams rigidity though, thats for damn sure! Just way too stiff for my tastes.

I run the back of my truck with Slam 7's front with Coni "6's". Only way I could make the back ride nice was the shocks. Front just rolls with the bags.

--Side note... We've been running slams since FBI was at the old building. 01-02 IIRC. We got TONS of them for free from Slam, when the tahoe was still doing shows and KRZ just dropped their frame for 1500's and tahoe/escalades.

I'd LOVE to have an impala though! The project looks dope for sure! The digi gauges are ****ing sick. I was drooling at them SEMA 02.

If anyone is looking for a Bagged out vehicle... I've got a truck up for grabs. -shameless plug-

Good luck with the project, keep us updated!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM
banned

Also, I was looking at your relays, you might want to get a 80amp ford starter relay. I can take some pictures if you are interested.

Basically, the peak startup of most OBA pumps is WAY more than what those bosch style relays can hold over time. And frying a relay is the worst!

Just lookin out for ya man, sharing some of the knowledge that I've gained over the years.

PM me if you'd like any input...I can talk bags allllll day haha.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Ra88it
Clean setup.

Compression fittings aren't my thing, too many issues with time. Push to connect is more of my thing. The extra money up front, and the fact that I've gone 50k miles on my ride since installing everything...is a great piece of mind.

Slams, great bags, HORRID ride. Conitechs are great for upfront, hell firestones are awesome for up front. Can't beat the slams rigidity though, thats for damn sure! Just way too stiff for my tastes.

I run the back of my truck with Slam 7's front with Coni "6's". Only way I could make the back ride nice was the shocks. Front just rolls with the bags.

--Side note... We've been running slams since FBI was at the old building. 01-02 IIRC. We got TONS of them for free from Slam, when the tahoe was still doing shows and KRZ just dropped their frame for 1500's and tahoe/escalades.

I'd LOVE to have an impala though! The project looks dope for sure! The digi gauges are ****ing sick. I was drooling at them SEMA 02.

If anyone is looking for a Bagged out vehicle... I've got a truck up for grabs. -shameless plug-

Good luck with the project, keep us updated!
Wow thanks for the info brother!!!! yeah i did a lot of research on bags. Everybosy was saying slams are the best. But not too concerned with ride. Its a weekend cruiser and a show car. But definitely good to know. Sounds like you have had your air bag experience huh!!!

So the relays are actually the ones that came with the viair dual compressor kit. It says they draw 32 amps max at full current draw. They said to use size 6 awg minimum from battery to relays for power to the compressors. I ran 4 awg just to be safe with a 60 amp fuse. They say 75 amp max fuse.

I ran the system and i hardly get any current draw. I have a 220 amp powermaster alternator so i should be good in the power department. But I will definitely keep an eye on the relays. Thanks a lot for the info!!!!

And thanks for the compliments bro. I have had this impala for 11 years. Finally making some real progress on it. Any other suggestions from a experienced air bag dude is greatly appreciated. I really like the dual pumps. they fill fast! Gets to 200 psi in like a little less then a few minutes.

laterz!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
banned

for sure man, anytime.

My first truck was a 'show/weekend' truck. the slams kicked my ***. When I did the 2nd truck, I went with things to make the ride better/more livable. I had the same thought..."w/e i'll just run them, change them later if it matters that much" and oh boy was I right...changed them a few times. lol

its not so much the draw on the relays(i didnt explain it well..sorry) The relays aren't meant for any amount of 'usage' aka being swtich happy. the pumps will get hot, turn the relays hot and melt them. I have pics of the first one i nuked with a viair 380...iirc. The starter relay is meant for some crazy high draw at crazy levels.

I'd put a fan or two on the pumps / near the pumps, any sort of heat will burn the felt piston rings rather quickly. I just did this....my filters were clogged and the pump freaked out/melted the ring/killed the sleeves on both of my pumps.

Be careful of cracks and splits on the slams around the bases, sometimes you don't see them until its too late. Are you using any sort of limiting straps or anything? Slams over extend and kill themselves normally/naturally. kinda sucks. Are you using the RS series or ES? I know that they fixed some of the separation around the base of the bellow/bumpstop in the new ones.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Some Dayton's in 24k gold would look sweet on that car.. Good job so far..
Old 03-20-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Ra88it
for sure man, anytime.

My first truck was a 'show/weekend' truck. the slams kicked my ***. When I did the 2nd truck, I went with things to make the ride better/more livable. I had the same thought..."w/e i'll just run them, change them later if it matters that much" and oh boy was I right...changed them a few times. lol

its not so much the draw on the relays(i didnt explain it well..sorry) The relays aren't meant for any amount of 'usage' aka being swtich happy. the pumps will get hot, turn the relays hot and melt them. I have pics of the first one i nuked with a viair 380...iirc. The starter relay is meant for some crazy high draw at crazy levels.

I'd put a fan or two on the pumps / near the pumps, any sort of heat will burn the felt piston rings rather quickly. I just did this....my filters were clogged and the pump freaked out/melted the ring/killed the sleeves on both of my pumps.

Be careful of cracks and splits on the slams around the bases, sometimes you don't see them until its too late. Are you using any sort of limiting straps or anything? Slams over extend and kill themselves normally/naturally. kinda sucks. Are you using the RS series or ES? I know that they fixed some of the separation around the base of the bellow/bumpstop in the new ones.
interesting info! The relays do look kinda small for how much amps the pumps draw and based on the fact they require a minimum of 6 AWG (I used 4 AWG just to be safe. None of the wires are getting hot but the pumps sure are!!! I like the idea of little fans. Maybe some inline computer fans?

What are limiting straps? Just took the impala into a local welding shop to get my shock relocator kits and bumps stop mounts welded into place. Slam Specialties RE-Series 200 psi Airbags are the ones that came with the kit. They seem to be holding up pretty well but we will see. If they end up cracking or busting I will have to upgrade. Just happy I did the install myself so I know how to change them quickly and easily. Quick question, do you use threadlock or teflon tape? i used medium blue threadlock on all air connections and screws holding air hardware or brackets.

Talk to ya soon. Where you located at? you got a subie?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM

thanks everybody on the positive feedback! still working out the kinks in the system. As soon as I get it 100% I will take some pics in action. Im thinking some pics right at the dock next to the naval ships in Alameda. Should be a killer spot to get some pics.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Looks good Eli!

Growing up in LA I have a soft spot for old Impalas
Old 03-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Looks good Eli!

Growing up in LA I have a soft spot for old Impalas
Thanks bro!!!! yeah my dad owned a car radio shop in the mission district in san fran when i was growing up. All i saw where the lowriders hoppin. I always knew I wanted an impala. Just wanted it to have the muscle look instead of the lowrider look!

How have ya been man? been a while.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: e39
that is so sick i'd love to have one hahah people would be like..."wtf asian guy on airbags?" hahaha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '64 Impala Air ride and interior Project