[Peninsula] Could someone recommend a bicycle mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
[Peninsula] Could someone recommend a bicycle mechanic?

I think I remember one or two folks on here being bike mechanics. I have historically done all my own work, but needed a couple things done on my hydro brake system, and am having issues with a shop. I guess I should have known better, but, whatever.

Just looking for an honest shop that I can take this to, and have them sort out the issues. I am expecting that I will need to go to SF, and that is not a problem as long as I can drop it off, and hopefully pick it up in riding shape.

I don't know much about hydro bike brakes, and don't really want to learn. I bought this set (Avid Juicy Ultimates) used a while ago, and they have been great. I am willing to admit that they may be worn out or whatever.

What I needed: It needed brake pads/rotors and I wanted the rear line adjusted as the angle of the brake line looks a little too aggressive (moved these from my old frame to the new, slightly different angle). Additionally, the front caliper is in need of alignment as it is biting the rotor a couple MM past the useful range. So, brake pads/rotors, plus some adjusting/misc parts and most likely a bleed. Now it seems like I need an entirely new brake system, front to back. So, probably that now, I guess. If I don't get any recommendations, I would probably just get the same brakes as they served me well on two frames.

Frame is a Ti SyCip w/ a Surly 29er front fork. I love it so much, and want to ride it again.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
im confused about what you mean about your rear line. u want to install a differently angled nipple on lever end? in terms of the rotor biting, can u tell if the rotor is bent? is your hub snug and spin freely? any loose bolts on the brake system? id be glad to help you out no problem. but TBH, im more familiar with bleeding Hayes systems instead of Avids. but i had juicy seven carbons w/ 8" rotors on my DH bike....my god they would grab! if you need adjustments, shoot me a PM and we can see what can and cant be done. just give me a days heads up to fish my stand and tools outta storage. LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 02RS25
im confused about what you mean about your rear line. u want to install a differently angled nipple on lever end? in terms of the rotor biting, can u tell if the rotor is bent? is your hub snug and spin freely? any loose bolts on the brake system? id be glad to help you out no problem. but TBH, im more familiar with bleeding Hayes systems instead of Avids. but i had juicy seven carbons w/ 8" rotors on my DH bike....my god they would grab! if you need adjustments, shoot me a PM and we can see what can and cant be done. just give me a days heads up to fish my stand and tools outta storage. LOL
No nothing that crazy with the brake line angle and such. I moved these from an older Aluminum RockHopper to this new frame, and now the way the line comes off the caliper, it forces the brake line to bend too much to get to the first anchor point on the frame. Not serious at all, just something I wanted tended to. I would imagine this would be: loosen the fitting as little as possible, turn the banjo a couple degrees, tighten, bleed. Bleeders are right on the calipers, and on the master cylinders. But again, I am not a bicycle mechanic.

Everything is nice and tight, rotors front and rear are fine, but worn. Front brake was rock solid, but the rear was starting to get soft. If you are screaming down a long, steep hill and jam on the brakes, you can just hear a "tick-tick-tick" from the front brake pad biting down on the inside edge of the rotor, just barely touching the rotor spokes. If you pull the front wheel, you can look at the pad surface and see what is happening. It may need a different bracket since I did not use a different one moving from my RockShox PSYLO XC to this Surly 29er fork. So, it may just need a new bracket. It's such a small amount that a washer under the caliper ball/socket would probably do the trick - but it's a common enough fork/caliper that maybe there is a "correct bracket."

This bike runs and rides great, in fact I rode it to this shop to have them check it out, and then to drop it off. It's currently running on 2.5" HookWorms and is absolutely a blast on the street or trails. I wanted to get these brake issues locked down before putting my dirt tires on and hitting some trails.

Thing is with a crazy job and kids I just wanted to drop this off somewhere, and pick it up fixed after paying the bill of course. I have a wall rack that I can use as a stand, and I guess I might just buy another set of these brakes and hope for the best, just that it will honestly take me a while to do all of this and I just wanted to ride it before too long.

Thanks for your message!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:50 AM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Rodrigo @ Roaring Mouse in the Presidio can have one of his guys look at it. I'm East Bay and working all week. If I'm over whatever this cold is you can always bring it over here for me to go over this Saturday, I still have 99% of my Avid supplies and spare parts. Just got done redoing all of mine.

I would charge ya for the parts used too though. Let me know.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
No nothing that crazy with the brake line angle and such. I moved these from an older Aluminum RockHopper to this new frame, and now the way the line comes off the caliper, it forces the brake line to bend too much to get to the first anchor point on the frame. Not serious at all, just something I wanted tended to. I would imagine this would be: loosen the fitting as little as possible, turn the banjo a couple degrees, tighten, bleed. Bleeders are right on the calipers, and on the master cylinders. But again, I am not a bicycle mechanic.

Everything is nice and tight, rotors front and rear are fine, but worn. Front brake was rock solid, but the rear was starting to get soft. If you are screaming down a long, steep hill and jam on the brakes, you can just hear a "tick-tick-tick" from the front brake pad biting down on the inside edge of the rotor, just barely touching the rotor spokes. If you pull the front wheel, you can look at the pad surface and see what is happening. It may need a different bracket since I did not use a different one moving from my RockShox PSYLO XC to this Surly 29er fork. So, it may just need a new bracket. It's such a small amount that a washer under the caliper ball/socket would probably do the trick - but it's a common enough fork/caliper that maybe there is a "correct bracket."

This bike runs and rides great, in fact I rode it to this shop to have them check it out, and then to drop it off. It's currently running on 2.5" HookWorms and is absolutely a blast on the street or trails. I wanted to get these brake issues locked down before putting my dirt tires on and hitting some trails.

Thing is with a crazy job and kids I just wanted to drop this off somewhere, and pick it up fixed after paying the bill of course. I have a wall rack that I can use as a stand, and I guess I might just buy another set of these brakes and hope for the best, just that it will honestly take me a while to do all of this and I just wanted to ride it before too long.

Thanks for your message!
ah. i feel you. The rears sound like either air got in the system or the fluid simply needs to be bled with new pads. uneven pad wear tends to create that "tick-tick-tick" you hear. hope it all works out! i myself have been contemplating piecing together a subtle trail bike.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Where are you located?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

I am near San Mateo.

Funny thing - I just got a call from the shop and the fellow relayed exactly what we discussed before the last time I stopped by when things were really confusing. So, it looks like they are going to sort it out. Maybe they just confused me with someone else - not sure. It's almost as if someone there is reading this.

Either way, if it all works out, that will be great.

Also - to be clear, I am fully intending on paying whatever it costs. In case it sounded like I was looking for work for free or something!

Thanks again for the tips, recommendations, and offers for help. Totally rocks.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I am near San Mateo.

Funny thing - I just got a call from the shop and the fellow relayed exactly what we discussed before the last time I stopped by when things were really confusing. So, it looks like they are going to sort it out. Maybe they just confused me with someone else - not sure. It's almost as if someone there is reading this.

Either way, if it all works out, that will be great.

Also - to be clear, I am fully intending on paying whatever it costs. In case it sounded like I was looking for work for free or something!

Thanks again for the tips, recommendations, and offers for help. Totally rocks.
glad u got it sorted! and i dont think u came across as a cheap ***. just trying to get back on ur bike! GL!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 02RS25
glad u got it sorted! and i dont think u came across as a cheap ***. just trying to get back on ur bike! GL!
Sweet. Totally! I hope it all works out. Not sure what happened there but it was a confusing couple weeks.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:01 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
If you still need.. this place is legendary
Bicycle Outfitter Northern California Trek Orbea Co-Motion Raleigh
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Originally Posted by Lowend
If you still need.. this place is legendary
Bicycle Outfitter Northern California Trek Orbea Co-Motion Raleigh
I would have to disagree. I came here with my bike, which I understand wasn't sold by them, but anyways, I was asking for a brake bleed, and instead of being helpful, the guy at the store was very rude telling me to go back to the store where I got it from, and get it done there. I just left and went to the store I got it from. Only reason I went here in first place was because its alot closer than where I got my bike from. But this was about 1-2years ago..
Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I can't speak to that...
But know a lot of very good people who have done business with them. That shop has been there for like 40 years
Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Car Info: Reason
Jacob, if you end up needing work done still, send me a PM. I can either recommend a great shop/mechanic on the peninsula, or you can bring it to my shop. I'm very familiar with everything you described. Prefer to discuss via PM.

edit: if you really are looking for new brakes altogether, I suggest Shimano XT. Again, hit me up via PM and we can talk.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 AM
VIP Member

Quick update - just got my bike back, both M/C's rebuilt and pads replaced. Seems nice, but I have not ridden it yet. Both levers are nice and firm, and everything looks great. Planning on riding in to work today.

The shop finished it up and the price was very reasonable. I am not sure why it took so long, but I was not in a hurry really. Just seemed weird there in the middle bit. Ultimately since I got my bike back and everything I wanted was done, I am happy with it.

Thanks again for the help and advice!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
If you end up needing more Jacob, Bryan works at bike connection in Palo Alto still I'm pretty sure.

Quick Reply: [Peninsula] Could someone recommend a bicycle mechanic?