$390 ebay FMIC review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:14 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
$390 ebay FMIC review

I bought this FMIC kit from ebay for 390 shipped (search for "wrx fmic kit" and you'll see them). Wasn't expecting much for that price, but it turned out pretty good. Haven't put it on yet but the fitting looks alright. Need to weld bov flange, overflow tank can be relocated to the other side of the bay w/ some length of hose instead of purchasing a replacement. I'm hoping this comes together well.

BOV flange (purchased from Perrin) - $40
FMIC - $390
shortram (ebay) - $44.50
Attached Thumbnails 0 ebay FMIC review-fmic1.jpg   0 ebay FMIC review-fmic2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
looks nice
Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
that looks like a tube and fin core from here... is that right? I hope there isn't too much of a pressure drop through all that plumbing and that style core. I guess we'll see soon enough
Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
is that a greddy FMIC

-Ave
Old 07-08-2005, 08:57 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX-yellow *FOR SALE*
i read somewhere that alot of those ebay fmic's are only rated for like 12 psi.........just a thought. you should at least double check with the seller to make sure, before you do all that work.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
looks like a drunk blind dwarf tried to put it together with captain hook hands! WTF?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
that looks like a tube and fin core from here... is that right? I hope there isn't too much of a pressure drop through all that plumbing and that style core. I guess we'll see soon enough
though Im sure you are also aware that pressure drop across an intercooler also occurs by the action of the cooler air exiting the IC now having less pressure than the hotter air entering the IC, therefore pressure drop cant reliably be used to measure an ICs restriction since pressure drop is also a measure of an ICs efficiency

Let us know how it fits, and before anyone rolls their eyes at the idea of an Ebay intercooler keep in mind that about all of the companys out there selling intercooler kits are using cores made overseas and putting their names on it
Old 07-08-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SSFWRX
looks like a drunk blind dwarf tried to put it together with captain hook hands! WTF?
Umm, he oobviously just mocked it together for the pic, you think thats how he installed it??

:rotfl:
Old 07-08-2005, 11:05 PM

Please keep us informed of the end result.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Krinkov
though Im sure you are also aware that pressure drop across an intercooler also occurs by the action of the cooler air exiting the IC now having less pressure than the hotter air entering the IC, therefore pressure drop cant reliably be used to measure an ICs restriction since pressure drop is also a measure of an ICs efficiency
My apologies, I meant to say restriction but seem to have typed pressure drop... that's what happens when you post and run
Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 PM

i was just making a funny....Jeremy....you know better than that...you've seen my beast....would I ever think such a thing
Old 07-08-2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by SSFWRX
i was just making a funny....Jeremy....you know better than that...you've seen my beast....would I ever think such a thing

haha, well actually, when I first saw the thread and the pics were small I thought it WAS installed, then I clicked on them. So I thought maybe it caught you too
Old 07-08-2005, 11:36 PM

haha...although i kinda wasnt sure if it was a joke or something cause for $350 on ebay I sorta expect a FMIC kit to look the way it does in the 2 mockup pics above!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 01:15 AM

HAHAHA man that would be sad if that was the installed pic huh

Nah it's far from finished. The only reason I posted this thread was because I take it out of the box and I'm like "holy crap it actually kinda works!" since I totally did not expect anything.

As for tube and fin, yeah the Greddy fmic is tube and fin as well. Sucks for durability, I don't think bar and plate is inherently superior however. And it does kinda look like the Greddy core.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by TurboSportTSi
i read somewhere that alot of those ebay fmic's are only rated for like 12 psi.........just a thought. you should at least double check with the seller to make sure, before you do all that work.

Rated for 12 psi? Please explain this to me in technical terms, I am kinda confused.

Quick Reply: $390 ebay FMIC review