Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

Who has turbo'd an EJ22?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
Originally posted by hansolo
i have a stage 3 turbo form www.forcedairtech.com in the mail right now hopefully it will be a killer setup. i will tryto keep you guys informed i am thinking of calling my legacy a legacy wrx. it is gonn abe sweet when it comes to engine managment you can totally find cheaper chips and stuff than the link.
Thats hella tight. Please do keep us up to date
Old 10-12-2003, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The tensile load has more to do with RPM than the actual power load. The engine itself is good for 350+ hp IF it is well tuned and doesn't detonate. You're more likely to break gears with a medium boost (8-10psi) EJ25T than the engine itself.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
dog box is a term to describe the kind of gear engagement.
On a synchro transmission (stock) you have Synchro rings that assist the gears by matching gear speeds so you don't grind on every shift. Dog Boxes don't have synchros. They have Dogs... these are basically just the way the gear is machined. It's not a synchro, but it performs a similar function. It's really hard to explain without pictures. Sorry. But in a normal synchro tranny, the synchro rings wear out over time.
Synchro tranny=smooth shifting with minimal grind
Dog Box= notchy shifting with very positive engagement and more grinding until you get better at rev matching.

A dog box will make you a better driver... you won't have a choice.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
what you need to consider is this:
where do you spend most your time?
1st gear? 3rd gear? 5th gear?
Most gear sets are straight cut gears for 1,2 and 3. THis means they whine something FIERCE. Very noisy. IF that doesn't bug you, and you don't want the extra gear of a 6spd or the PITA to change out the clutch from push to pull and your rear differential to a different gear ratio and install a shorter driveshaft and different shift linkage, then a gear-set is for you. and it's cheaper. IF you must have 6 gears and you're ready to tackle all the extra stuff (and cost) associated with a 6spd conversion then go for it! Wish I had the money for a 6spd conversion myself.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:43 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The problem with gearsets, hardened, dog, or otherwise, is that they don't address the real weakness of the 5 speed, which is case flex. When you put tons of torque on the case, as a turbo boxer motor surely will, the gears can get misaligned. Even very good gearsets will break if you don't drive properly, which means not shock-loading the gearbox. The stock gears can hold up to 450 or so horsepower when you come onto power smoothly, but it can take as little as 200 lb./ft. to snap them if you clutch dump or power shift.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 1997 subaru impreza outback sport 2.2L 4 cylinder
ok so I been reading all your posts and I'm in the same boat trying to turbo my 1997 subaru impreza outback sport. I'm trying to go all out with this car but not get to technical about forged pistons if the stock block can handle the power. I need to know within the next couple days exactly what parts I will need to locate to turbo my Non turbo ej22. It's not the ej22t.. It all stock still so start with a complete list of everything I need. I'm not to mechanicly inclined but my father is so I need to put together a shopping list of parts to find.

If someone who has done this already could send me a list of parts I will need and I mean everything then that would be appreciated. My email address is mrf1990@ptd.net I want to start shopping around imediatly since summer is quickly approching. Thanks, matt
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
hmmm you have to remember the post is from 03 but you will be better off obtaining a wrx motor or sti motor via ej25, the ej22t from a old legacy is another choice but it is a very old motor now.

Semi-closed deck has much better cooling properties versus closed deck anyway, You will be spending a lot of money just to turbo your ej22, might as well do a proper swap.

The ej22 is old technology

rs25.com might have more info if you are still interested in your ej22
Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
I have an EJ22t motor

closed deck FTW!!!

Quick Reply: Who has turbo'd an EJ22?