Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

GT30R or FP Red???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:16 PM

Car Info: WRS STI 2006
GT30R or FP Red???

which will have more HP and less lag. I dont drive a lot of top end. Im mainly looking for on the roll races. the typical street race or freeway. so the speed range would be from 35-75 in town or 55-125 ish. the sti doesnt feel too safe after 135+....
Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Originally Posted by cpc993
which will have more HP and less lag. I dont drive a lot of top end. Im mainly looking for on the roll races. the typical street race or freeway. so the speed range would be from 35-75 in town or 55-125 ish. the sti doesnt feel too safe after 135+....
You dumb a**! Get off the streets an on a track. People die because of the behavior that you are refering to. As far as I am concerned, you should be treated as someone who got onto the forum and asked how to drive drunk. Go get your information somewhere else, as far as I am concerned, your not welcome. People like you give us all a bad name.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by depdivr
You dumb a**! Get off the streets an on a track. People die because of the behavior that you are refering to. As far as I am concerned, you should be treated as someone who got onto the forum and asked how to drive drunk. Go get your information somewhere else, as far as I am concerned, your not welcome. People like you give us all a bad name.
I think you have a misunderstood the post. I was refering to the speeds that I like to drive at. Not that I want to race people on the street. As for street racing in general its not my thing. I also would not waste my time tracking my STI. Its a street car not track. With enough mods. im sure people can track it but you would never be competive in any real track events.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

I think you have a misunderstood the post. I was referring to the speeds that I like to drive at. Not that I want to race people on the street. As for street racing in general its not my thing. I also would not waste my time tracking my STI. Its a street car not track. With enough mods. I'm sure people can track it but you would never be competitive in any real track events.
I'm don't claim to be an expert in the English language but I am literate! Tell me how to interpret your statement any other way, you said - and I quote -

"I'm mainly looking for on the roll races. the typical street race or freeway. so the speed range would be from 35-75 in town or 55-125 ish."

You are:
Looking for on the roll races.

You described the races you are looking for very clearly:
The typical street race or freeway.

You even went so far as to state your desired speeds during these races:
35-75 in town or 55 to 125 ish.

Do you understand what happens when you hit something at 125 mph??? This is what happens:

Crash 29 occurred during a street race at 100 mph
Crash 19 occurred during a street race at 85 mph
The rollover crash occurred during a street race at 45 mph

I selected these photos carefully - in each photo, the driver of the car lived. In each photo, either a passenger in the car or a pedestrian was killed. I have a 5 week old son, who sits comfortably behind my wife in our new 05 Subaru Outback XT. To know that there are people out there who act like you on public roads - scares me to death, they are my world. If I am so illiterate that I misunderstood your very clear statement, I apologize - somehow, I think I am very clear on your intentions. Do yourself and everyone around you, take your car to the track. There are thousands of WRXs and STis (STOCK !!!) that have an outstanding, and safe time at the track every weekend. Be one of them.
Attached Thumbnails GT30R or FP Red???-crash29.jpg   GT30R or FP Red???-crash19.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2005, 01:38 PM

fine a better wording would roll on speed. happy now? as far as the pics go they are cool. where did you find them?

track = track car not strret.
street = street

if you nod your car to drive on a track then you lose the comfort of street car. You also must know that when you are driving on a track there are generally no pot holes or bumps in the road. Not everyone can have 2 cars to drive. Im not looking to track my STI so there for im not looking for crazy top end driving. Street driving RPM range is from 3000-5500. As for Track you at 4000 to red line. Comes back to the question at hand.

GT30R or FP Red?

I dont drive my car to red line now and dont think I will after any mods. Just looking for some more punch. Speeds from 50-120 or 30-65
Old 11-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Trade your car in for a SRT-4 if you want straight line acceleration.

btw...the STi is more of a track car than a street car.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

fine a better wording would roll on speed. happy now? as far as the pics go they are cool. where did you find them?

track = track car not strret.
street = street

if you nod your car to drive on a track then you lose the comfort of street car. You also must know that when you are driving on a track there are generally no pot holes or bumps in the road. Not everyone can have 2 cars to drive. Im not looking to track my STI so there for im not looking for crazy top end driving. Street driving RPM range is from 3000-5500. As for Track you at 4000 to red line. Comes back to the question at hand.

GT30R or FP Red?

I dont drive my car to red line now and dont think I will after any mods. Just looking for some more punch. Speeds from 50-120 or 30-65
If you arn't going to push the car above 5500 rpm, stick with the stock turbo.

FPRED won't reach full boost until after 4000 and hp peaks around 6500 and will remain somewhat constant through 8500 rpm on a built engine.

I don't know about GT30R.

In order to upgrade your turbo, you will also need to upgrade your exhaust, intake, inter cooler and fuel injection system. By the time you get to an FP Red or equivalent you will have spent approximately 15,000 on these mods.

Look, you like to drive your car fast - I have no problem with that, so do I. I don't drive it fast on the street. Everyone on this forum likes to drive fast but most don't do it on the street. I hope that you can reconsider taking your car to the track, you bought a race car (yes, the STI is very close to a race car) and if you race against others, you will be competitive. You will (with some skills) beat most modded WRXs, most Honda's, most Nisan's, some Porsche's and most BMW's. I drive a 2005 STI running 450 crank hp (360 wheel hp) and I can beat almost any car except for those piloted by better drivers. Yes, I run the FP Red and love it - it is also my daily driver.

I get my fast fix on the track. Everyone on the track is aware of the consequences of racing - they may die. I am aware of the consequences of driving on the track - I might die and someone might run into me, killing me. We ALL understand the consequences of driving on the track. The track is set up so that the risk of dieing is minimized. There are no pedestrians, no babies, no children and no mothers driving to the store.

I hope that everyone who reads this thinks seriously about the consequences of driving fast on public roads. You could kill a child and live to deal with it. Personally, life after killing a child or family would be my greatest hell.

The message - take your car to the track and have a blast.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Car Info: POS
I was prepared to show you pretty graphs of different turbos but after reading what your goals are..........buy a 1972 pinto and please watch out for others on the road.

None of this; "its at 2AM and nobody is out there" because I'm out there driving at weird as times and I see other people.

Last edited by silentbob343; 12-14-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:01 PM

thanks. well i think the STI is a blast to drive and its a toy for me. I just dont want to make it so i can drive on the street any more. As for tracking my daily driver, im not really too interested. I do have a track car though... I may track the STI one day but its not in my plan to do so now. The STi is really fun to drive and I really enjoy it. There are some limits to the car and engine set up though. After 130+ the car on Street coil overs tends to float or feels light. The breaks need some help under hard breaking (stock) STI. As for the cornering it think it great and would compare it to my track car. (993GT2)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STI
you really think the STi isnt close to being a race car??....and as for street racing...please do us subaru owners all a big favor and sell your car and buy a neon or cavelier
Old 11-30-2005, 08:12 PM

no I dont think the STI isnt close to being a race car. Yes it 's a blast to drive it handles well and its quick. It's not a race car or anything close to it. If you mod it enough im sure you can make it one. Then you cant drive it on the street anymore. So whats the point?
This is why:
1. the STI is not stable at high speeds 135+
2. the the car is too narrow, so you need a wider track. (look at the Cusco race car. Its flared)
3. the all wheel drive is not set up for track use
4. the breaks are too small
5. there is no venting to cool the breaks down.

The list goes on. Do I think the car can be tracked for weekend fun sure, but its not for me. If you ever have a chance to drive a car the is set up for track use only you will understand. Real track cars stay on the track.
STI = great daily driver w/ tons of fun.

I have never heard of anyone that wants to drive a car daily and bounce all around. Not to mention race cars are all about top end.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
While i dont condone organized street racing i just have a question. All of you guys flaming CP for street racing, is it lonely up there on your pedestal? Look dont act like none of you dont get a rev from a guy thats been pissing you off for a little bit and decide to downshift and mash the gas to show him a thing or two. We all drive fast, and whether its "racing" or just blasting down the road to feel good it can all lead to the same thing. IT only takes a combined speed of 70mph to kill a person in an accident so take that as food for thought. Do everyone a favor and either post to help someone else get their question answered or shut up. Its getting old and all you are doing is wasting space and time.

CP- as far as turbos look into the FP green. ITs got better spool up and while it wont make as much HP as the Red it will be a lot more tolerable on the street for whatever you are doing. Just remember what depdivr said. You will need a lot more than just the turbo so think about it.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
You should take a look at Brian Lock's USTCC STi. I'm pretty sure he is running an almost stock STi, and he took second place last season. As far as I know his mods are coilovers, wheels/tires, brakes, exhaust and a reflash. There is another guy running in the speed world challenge with a similar setup.

The STi would run in a completely different class from cars like porsches and ferraris, so it doesn't make sense to compare them. It would be like comparing a GT2 to a STi for rally racing.

IMO, a track car is a street legal car that has been modified to drive on a race track. A race car is not street legal and its sole purpose is to race on a race track.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM

yeah i completely agree w/ that. Im using the STI as a street car not a track car. Im sure some people do track there cars. I just dont want that kind of street ride. I think its over kill for me since im not going to be flying around corners at high speeds or want to feel as if im driving a mini-truck. Those days are over for me. Im just looking for more power and and im using Suer Street DA coil overs.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 2015 STI
STI is a sports car, not a race car.

Last edited by Me&05WRX; 12-14-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: GT30R or FP Red???