Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

good turbo for 2000 2.5 RS??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
good turbo for 2000 2.5 RS??

what is a good turbo kit for a 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS that isnt too expensive
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 99 Impreza RS
AVO, but I don't know what your idea of too expensive is. About $4500
Old 12-09-2005, 11:02 AM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
im trying to look for one under or around $2,000, not too big of a turbo, a guy i kno has 5 stock wrx turbos brand new and hes selling them for $200 each, i think thats just the turbo its self not the IC, wasgate, piping, etc..., would that fit on my car?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Originally Posted by Jeff822
im trying to look for one under or around $2,000, not too big of a turbo, a guy i kno has 5 stock wrx turbos brand new and hes selling them for $200 each, i think thats just the turbo its self not the IC, wasgate, piping, etc..., would that fit on my car?

Im not an RS guy... I have an STi. I don't think anything will "fit" your car. No matter what kind of Turbo you go with, some sort of modification will have to be made to the uppipe, downpipe, intake systems. I wouldn't be suprised if you could buy a turbo kit which would include all of these prefabed pieces of equipment. I could be wrong on this but it is alot harder to turbo a nonturbo car than to just upgrade turbos on a stock turbo charged car.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:41 AM

Car Info: 99 Impreza RS
depdivr is right, you will need a kit, you can't just "slap" wrx parts on. You either need to do a wrx swap or buy a kit for the RS. i suggested the AVO because I have it on my 99 RS and it is a complete kit with everything spelled out for the install. It gives you a 100 hp (at the crank) over stock. You can also look at turbokits.com.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:36 AM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
yeah check out turbokits.com, I was looking at the TSI turbo kit it comes with everything and a FMIC too, im going to keep it n/a though in a year or so I might go into a SRT-4 and then hopefully an STi after that. I want to get away from Subaru for a while. Don't forget you could possibly run into problems in the future, you would need to upgrade your exhaust, injectors, ECU (if you want) etc. etc. and possibly some custom work to get everything to fit just right. Best bet is to do a engine swap, since its a '99 you probally have a good amount of miles on it and IMO just do a WRX swap and throw in a VF34, it should be cheaper or just the same as than a AVO Turbo kit.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
I was thinking on this...

Probibly the cheepest way to do this would be to fine a couple of totaled WRXs in junk yards (there are enough out there) and pull their parts out.

You are not setting out on a cheep or easy project. With the time and $$ your going to put in on this - it may be wiser to buy a used or new WRX.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:03 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Yeah I would agree with just looking for a used wrx. You know that your car was made for a turbo, and you won't have to buy a kit and spend more money for install, or even tune your em.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
[QUOTE=depdivr

You are not setting out on a cheep or easy project. With the time and $$ your going to put in on this - it may be wiser to buy a used or new WRX.[/QUOTE]

When people ask us about conversions and/or turbo kits, we tell them to consider this same advice. WRX conversions have become popular because in the long run just putting on a turbo kit will cost the same $$$. There's many factors involved; mileage, engine management, smog laws, etc...and of course the never ending quest for more power Which usually results in having to upgrade nearly everything....As we tell everyone, it all comes down to your budget. Anyways, just our $.02

-Adam
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 00 2.5RS
Either buy the turbo kit from AVO(already tested & proven) or do a EJ20 full(complete motor, exhaust, engine harness, & wiring harness)swap (install by yourself or with frends= wiring expertise needed).

examples: www.spomotorsports.com AVO kit
www.garagetuning.com WRX conversions+
Old 02-14-2006, 05:57 PM

Car Info: Sedona red RS
Deprived "Im not an RS guy... I have an STi. I don't think anything will "fit" your car."

Key words "I don't think "

Remember free advice is worth every penny u paid and a wink is the same as a nod to a blind horse.

You can build a decent WRX motor or turbo your RS for $2000.
Research threads do your homework!!!
There are alot of combinations , almost all EJ20 EJ22 EJ25 heads are interchangable with EJ series blocks.

I do agree with LIC It will not be easy or inexpensive , only if you don't do your homework, don't go off buying parts blindly with out a set plan.

Best advice I can give you is go to NASIOC and read up on the conversion/swap threads lots of tried and true swaps, not speculated and expensive cop out replies like just buy a wrx!!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:52 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Hybrid
buget turbo kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok first let me tell you- EBAY!!!!
i bought a wrx intercooler with the Y hoses for $100.
i bought a wrx (TD04) turbo for $100.

Went to a exhaust shop and had them fabricate an up and down pipe. (you can have it mate to you existing N/A header pipe) i have a borla N/A header. that cost like 200.

so thats $400.

Then all you really need to do is 2 things.
1)make an air intake (i used PVC pipe and rubber couplers from home depot) $10.00
2) run your oil and coolent lines for the turbo. (probably want to find some one who knows what their doing.

Then you will have upgrade your fuel pump. bought on ebay for $85. installed it my self.

lets round that to $500 your at.

Then for $500 you should be able to find someone to slap it all together for you. If your anywhere near PA I have the guy who put mine together. He's the head tech at the local subaru shop (has a shop on the side)
Also might want to put a walbro 255 lph fuel pump on it.
Ive run this setup with a 100 shot of nos for over a year. no engine management, no fuel management. runs fine.
any other questions. feel free to pm me

Last edited by impreza25rstn; 02-15-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:08 PM

Car Info: Impreza GC8 Turbo Wagon@ 280bhp
Originally Posted by impreza25rstn
buget turbo kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok first let me tell you- EBAY!!!!
i bought a wrx intercooler with the Y hoses for $100.
i bought a wrx (TD04) turbo for $100.

Went to a exhaust shop and had them fabricate an up and down pipe. (you can have it mate to you existing N/A header pipe) i have a borla N/A header. that cost like 200.

so thats $400.

Then all you really need to do is 2 things.
1)make an air intake (i used PVC pipe and rubber couplers from home depot) $10.00
2) run your oil and coolent lines for the turbo. (probably want to find some one who knows what their doing.

Then you will have upgrade your fuel pump. bought on ebay for $85. installed it my self.

lets round that to $500 your at.

Then for $500 you should be able to find someone to slap it all together for you. If your anywhere near PA I have the guy who put mine together. He's the head tech at the local subaru shop (has a shop on the side)
Also might want to put a walbro 255 lph fuel pump on it.
Ive run this setup with a 100 shot of nos for over a year. no engine management, no fuel management. runs fine.
any other questions. feel free to pm me
Don't you need a RRFPR ? What did you do about vacum lines, boost ?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
Originally Posted by rage13
depdivr is right, you will need a kit, you can't just "slap" wrx parts on. You either need to do a wrx swap or buy a kit for the RS. i suggested the AVO because I have it on my 99 RS and it is a complete kit with everything spelled out for the install. It gives you a 100 hp (at the crank) over stock. You can also look at turbokits.com.
I have been looking at this kit forever but have had a hard time justifing the $$.. how is the reliability?
100 aditional hp seems like quite a tall jump for an old 2.5 to handel. I have a very well maintained 103,000 mile engine that im worried about putting that much power to.
how many miles did your 2.5 have on it before you upgraded?
did you do any internal engine work before you slapped it on?
how many miles have you had it on for?
and im sorry there are so many questions here but I am very intrested.
is this your daily driver?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Hybrid
no rrfpr. just a upgraded fuel pump.

Quick Reply: good turbo for 2000 2.5 RS??