Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Incredible Master Cylinder Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:03 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Incredible Master Cylinder Bracket

I really want to share with the i-club community this awesome master cylinder bracket I installed last week in my STi. I had the MRT bracket in my WRX and it was a total pain to install and I never really felt the minimal gains were worth the effort. That was the main reason I never installed it in my STi.

But after my first few track days in the STi, I felt I needed some more brake stiffness. Anyone who runs on the track or Auto-X has probably experienced firewall flex from hard braking. What happens is the harder you push the pedal, the more the firewall between the pedal and master cylinder flexes, resulting in a loss of brake stiffness and response.

So, I searched high and low for something that worked better than the MRT style bracket which attaches to the the strut tower. While it somewhat increased stiffness, much of the force was transmitted to the strut tower which also flexes.

Enter the PDM master cylinder bracket. It connects the master cylinder directly to the frame rail for an unparalleled reduction in firewall flex. I was absolutely floored by the increased braking stiffness after I installed this setup. Here is a pic of one of the prototypes. The finished version is all polished steel.

I will put up some pics from my install when I get home tonight and download them out of the camera. I bought the bracket from: http://www.tarmac-usa.com/flash/index.html

I am in no way affiliated with this vendor, but I wanted other Suby enthusiasts to be aware of a really great option to the MRT style brackets.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 AM

Another pic:

Old 04-13-2005, 07:11 AM

Product description from the website:

Patent Pending

Brand New! The Ultimate Brake Master Cylinder Support. This unit braces the factory brake master cylinder against firewall flex and deflection of the bulkhead. This unit is 100% bolt on and made of high quality Stainless Steel and Aluminum. This means it is strong, light weight, and will not corrode, chip, or weather. This unit bolts to the brake master cylinder then is supported by an Aluminum hex rod that is mounted to a large Stainless Steel bolt that runs through the front cross member. This utilizes the strongest sections of the car body. It also uses collared nuts on the master cylinder to make use of the full threads available. This unit does not cause strut tower flex or change your alignment settings. And unlike other units available on the market these are vehicle specific not a one size fits all. Since it mounts so low in the chassis it does not affect the fuel filter, ac lines, or other items that are usually in the way with other units available on the market.

And it is available for the GC/GF chassis as well.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
wow i can see how that would stop the firewall flex and for $130 fairly cheap for the gains
Old 04-16-2005, 06:39 PM

Car Info: '02 2.5RS/'01 Forester
That looks like it would be so easy to fab a home built version.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
+1 for this bracket. I installed one the other day on my wagon. Great fit, awsome quality, super easy to install. Pedal feels great. The final version is all polished, the frame through bolt is machined stainless, the plate the mounts on the master cylinder is polished stainless. Woot!! Here's the best part.... They are in stock and will be at your door in a week. Rather than waiting 6+ months for a Cusco bracket with no end in sight to the waiting.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
After installing one MRT bracket (not even on my own car), these pictures make me a happy person.

I never want to install another MRT Master Cylinder bracket ever again.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:21 AM

That reminds me I need to get the pics out of my camera...
Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon x2
+1 for a Colorado company. I'm going to swing by there and steal one when I'm in town next weekend. Umm...if anyone in the Bay Area or Sac plans on ordering one within the next week or two, let me know and I'll bring it back for you.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:46 PM

Pic of the actual kit:

(sorry but the installed pics didn't turn out to well because of all of the stuff that is in the way)
Attached Thumbnails Incredible Master Cylinder Bracket-brake1.jpg