Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

I cant get her shiny enough!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
I cant get her shiny enough!!!

SO i am having a huge issue with my car. Nothing mechanical!

I just cant get the scoob master general to shine like i want. What do you guys use.

I wax it all the time. I use my orbital buffer with the softest bonnets that say they will get it to shine.

I want the damn thing to BLING! BLANG! BLUNG!

I am currently using turtle wax hard shell finish. AFter i didnt wax her for like 6 months i used that and it looked good. I hated waxing my old car but now i love waxing the subie.
BUt now i have waxed it like every weekend for the past 4 and some times i do a double waxing. I have removed the wax and put on a fresh coat still not as shiny as i know it can be.

I see some of you guys and gals cars and it looks like they are "wet" What do you use. Yes it is my daily driver but i know it can get better.

I cant park my car in the garage, we use it as a rec room but i do have a super nce car cover my wife bought me when we converted the garage. I have had it for about 1 1/2 years now and the first 8 months it was garaged.
Please help.

p.s.- what is claybar?

Second issue:

The no good lousy *** "starry night." You know if you have a blue or black car and you get 1654894 chips all over the front of it. and you can see the white under the color.

I only have 22,000 miles on my car, bought it new and i am kicking myself in the *** for not getting the 3M coating/clear bra whatever you call it.

What can i do about the "starry night" short of getting a repaint. I try to hit it all with touch up paint but that stuff doesnt look good all over the place and it doesnt hold as well. Please someone give me a tip on this as well.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
claybar is a, clay... it removes surface containments like industrial fallout or tree saps. How do you know if you need to clay your car? Give it a good wash then run your hand over the paint surface. If it's bumpy, you'll need to clay it. If you don't know what clay is and a car with 22k on it and no garage. Most likely you'll need to clay it.

I say, give it a good wash, clay, then POLISH! I think you are missing this step to give it a good shin. Then follow by some good wax to give it the 'wet' look.

For the products I carry...
http://www.detailaddict.com/allprods.php

for 'starry night', you really have no option but to repaint it. touch-up will make it look pretty ugly...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the tip leo. i think that will be my weekend project

if i do get the bumper and hood repainted do i have to wait to get the 3M put on it. SOmeone was saying that you have to wait liek 30 days, my problem with that is by the time the 30 days is up it will be all jacked up again.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Former Vendor

yes, you'll have to wait for at least 30 days for the paint to cure before you can do anything with them, unfortunately.

drive as little as possible and hopefully you'll get little to none rock chips. With just one or two, it's a lot easier and nicer looking if you do touch-up with them.

talk to Jeremy about the clear bra... he is da man!

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
Thanks for the tip leo. i think that will be my weekend project

if i do get the bumper and hood repainted do i have to wait to get the 3M put on it. SOmeone was saying that you have to wait liek 30 days, my problem with that is by the time the 30 days is up it will be all jacked up again.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
Man, My MBP bugeye is all jacked up too. Stupid freeway commute every day =( I need a repaint but don't have the moolah for it yet.

Maybe I can take the same techniques explained and try to get my car to look better.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I would suggest getting a line up of products from Leo, the Adam's Polishes he carries are amazing
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 PM

i am strongly considering it.

Hey leo anywhere I can get them up her ein the northbay area?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 PM

Also. Is there anyway to remove the many coats of wax i have put on her the last few months.

I think I am gonna do this:

Wash

Remove old wax if possible

wash

Clay bar

wash

fresh wax

polish

Everything else i know how to do.

Tips on clay bar would be nice but mainly if there is a way to remove wax if that is even something i need/can do before clay bar. Maybe clay bar will take care of that... i dont know. thats why i am asking.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Ryan
Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Leo will ship, just PM him.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Former Vendor

Not exactly north bay, but this shop #4 might be the closest to you.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/another-phase-expansion-detail-products-local-store-near-you-188242/

i am strongly considering it.

Hey leo anywhere I can get them up her ein the northbay area?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Former Vendor

Ryan, do a search on using dawn to strip old wax or whatever you have on y our paint surface. But be VERY careful. It's not meant to be done all the time.

BTW, you polish first then wax.

As for clay bar here is a quick guide... let me know if you need more details...

There are 3 levels of clay, fine (yellow/blue), medium (purple), and aggressive (gray). You'll need some kind of lubricant, and most of the people use detail spray and it's what come with the clay bar kit when you buy from Kragen/Autozone/Pepboys/etc. Don't use soap, it can dry up the clay and/or break it apart.

With a fresh piece of clay, fold it couple of times before using. Then flatten it out on a flat surface such as your windshield. Then spray your detail spray on the paint surface and run the clay bar over the moist area. It should glide like butter on grill. You can apply pressure on trouble spots but don't over work it or you might create a halo effect. Work on a small section at a time and check your clay bar before moving to the next spot. If you see the clay bar starting to change color, fold it once and use only one side then fold again when it changes color.

let me know if that is not detail enough...

Leo

Also. Is there anyway to remove the many coats of wax i have put on her the last few months.

I think I am gonna do this:

Wash

Remove old wax if possible

wash

Clay bar

wash

fresh wax

polish

Everything else i know how to do.

Tips on clay bar would be nice but mainly if there is a way to remove wax if that is even something i need/can do before clay bar. Maybe clay bar will take care of that... i dont know. thats why i am asking.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Ryan
Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza
dont wax the color off of it hahah.. i dont know i use liek 3 different waxes trying to find the best one.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks Matt! Yes I do ship... In fact, I just updated the website so it make shipping much easier.

Leo
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Leo will ship, just PM him.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor

what have you tried so far?

Originally Posted by Impreza916
dont wax the color off of it hahah.. i dont know i use liek 3 different waxes trying to find the best one.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by DetailAddict
Ryan, do a search on using dawn to strip old wax or whatever you have on y our paint surface. But be VERY careful. It's not meant to be done all the time.

BTW, you polish first then wax.

As for clay bar here is a quick guide... let me know if you need more details...

There are 3 levels of clay, fine (yellow/blue), medium (purple), and aggressive (gray). You'll need some kind of lubricant, and most of the people use detail spray and it's what come with the clay bar kit when you buy from Kragen/Autozone/Pepboys/etc. Don't use soap, it can dry up the clay and/or break it apart.

With a fresh piece of clay, fold it couple of times before using. Then flatten it out on a flat surface such as your windshield. Then spray your detail spray on the paint surface and run the clay bar over the moist area. It should glide like butter on grill. You can apply pressure on trouble spots but don't over work it or you might create a halo effect. Work on a small section at a time and check your clay bar before moving to the next spot. If you see the clay bar starting to change color, fold it once and use only one side then fold again when it changes color.

let me know if that is not detail enough...

Leo
What kind of clay should i use based on the fact i have never clay bared my car before?

I really appreciate the tips Leo. I will probably have some business to throw your way this christmas as well. I have heard many awesome things you have done for peoples cars.

Quick Reply: I cant get her shiny enough!!!