Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Power Window Woes...PLEASE READ...I'm stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:42 PM

Car Info: WRX
Sounds more like an open circuit than a short. One wire is a no-connect, so the other wire is connecting to 12V and you are reading 12V on both sides of the motor. If you had a short, you would have blown something, like a fuse.

Now, it you are gettin 12V when you have the switch in both positions, then it sounds like the open circuit is between the switching circuit and input power. Hard to really tell. I am not sure what the switching circuit is (relay, switch or solid state motor driver).

To track it down, disconnect the motor, that way you can tell which line is doing what. Check the 2 wires going to the motor, measure the voltage on both wires with the switch in all 3 positions (up/center/down) – make a little table. Measure the voltage with the voltmeter grounded to the car somewhere on the body.

My guess is you will get 12V on one and nothing on the other. On the one you get nothing on, check resistance/continuity to ground. This will confirm the open circuit.

Then it’s a matter of tracing it back from there.