File Sharing is Dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
File Sharing is Dangerous

Unsafe++

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3104281.stm

From his Silicon Valley base he told BBC News Online: "There is no lock that can't be picked and our technology ensures that there is not a rock in the world you can hide under if you are sharing files.

"If you have an active internet address or connection and you are actively sharing files, our spiders will find you."
This involves launching robotic searches across the internet, on all major peer-to-peer networks, in 65,000 newsgroups, FTP sites, Internet Relay chat channels and auction and retail sites.

"Using our matching technology, we identify the user name, the protocol they're using, which file-sharing protocol if it's just a web protocol or not. But the most important piece of information we detect is their IP address," explained Mr Ishikawa.

"We got an e-mail last week from someone saying 'How did you find me? I used Peer Guardian' and he thought that would save him from our spiders. There is nowhere to hide."
Old 08-16-2003, 07:57 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
you just have to be smarter than the RIAA, that's all. of course, some of the things that you'd have to do aren't that legal....

getting your IP is only the first part of what they have to do to nail you. if you've got a static IP, then they've got you. otherwise they're going to have to subpoena the ISP's DHCP server logs and then it gets ugly. oh yeah, and the RIAA!
Old 08-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
:werd, Nigmo:
Old 08-16-2003, 08:46 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
you just have to be smarter than the RIAA, that's all. of course, some of the things that you'd have to do aren't that legal....

getting your IP is only the first part of what they have to do to nail you. if you've got a static IP, then they've got you. otherwise they're going to have to subpoena the ISP's DHCP server logs and then it gets ugly. oh yeah, and the RIAA!
RIAA was also told to stuff it by a judge who turned down their request for some colleges to give up the users and such. I dont think they will have much luck unless they somehow get your information and contact you personally. There are accounts of some people getting letters who just pay the fines, whatever. I never "share" files, only leech. I still bet there are backdoors and such in programs like Kazaa. I mean come on, who wouldnt write in some kind of backdoor into a program like Kazaa. I sure as hell would. Send out a file request for some wierd filename and that tells all the kazaa users computers to share info or whatnot.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:48 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by ScoobyWgn
Ok...can they nab you for downloading music even if your not sharing files? I know it negates the Peer to Peer idea...but does turning off that option on kazaa provide any protection?
So far they have only used Kazaa to search out people sharing files which is easy since it tells them the email ids and such of the people sharing. But they would still need Shaman Networks to give up the users registration info. I havent shared in a long time for this reason. They would have to have logs or something proof positive that you are downloading and thats too easy to fake so I think leechers are safe for now. Unless RIAA operates a station and shares files, which of course they probably cant do. Who knows tho.