Today at Edge Motorworks

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I hear edge motorworks no longer has a Subaru tech.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Dont get me wrong, hunter makes great equipment. Their new wheel balancers are exceptional. Just dont think edge has the best rack in the bay. But im sure they take their time and get your alignment on the tip of an *** hair. Unlike the tire shops and shops I listed which say....its within range.....good enough.....

To which I agree you probably get a good alignment.
Custom alignment is the same way. I love those guys. Never had a better balanced tire than from them
Personally, I would rather have someone that knows what they are doing align my car with sticks and string than someone who doesn't with "the best" alignment machine. Note: there is no "best" but, everyone is allowed to have a favorite.

Custom Alignment does this neat thing where they rotate the tire on the wheel to first achieve the closest balance before performing a normal balancing of the wheel/tire combo. In some cases, they have been able to balance a wheel/tire for me without any weights at all. I don't know if other shops do this.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Custom Alignment does this neat thing where they rotate the tire on the wheel to first achieve the closest balance before performing a normal balancing of the wheel/tire combo. In some cases, they have been able to balance a wheel/tire for me without any weights at all. I don't know if other shops do this.
Custom alignment is an awesome shop! They are the real suspension/tires/brakes professionals. Using them since 2004.

Last edited by wwrx; 04-16-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
All I can say is I took my car to a very popular alignment shop on this forum, and the alignment was straight incorrect.

Edge did a full chassis inspection to look for damage and wear, then started the alignment. They test drive the car, and discovered one of my tires was also creating a pull to one direction. Rotating that subject tire to the rear solved the issue. Car steering feel and road manners have improved greatly.

Worth the extra $ above an average alignment.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB Wagon + MR2s
The truth behind alignment equipment is ... the newest machine isn't any better then a "string" and a caliper! Yes, a freaken string and caliper.

What it does do better is allow a high school kid, a newbie tech, some joe off the street that can read, the ability to do an alignment. It has on screen step by step instructions so anyone can do the alignment to factory spec or your provided spec. Time is money and if they charge you the same but spend half the time, twice the profit.

As for how one should adjust it for autox, roadracing, drag racing ... no machine can beat human experience!

To this day, the fastest car on track still use a string and caliper! And this is going 225+ mph!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by matthepcat
All I can say is I took my car to a very popular alignment shop on this forum, and the alignment was straight incorrect.

Edge did a full chassis inspection to look for damage and wear, then started the alignment. They test drive the car, and discovered one of my tires was also creating a pull to one direction. Rotating that subject tire to the rear solved the issue. Car steering feel and road manners have improved greatly.

Worth the extra $ above an average alignment.
Your alignment may be correct but you may still have a pull to one side especially if you run wide tires. That's what I have running 275mm. Swapping left/right and/or rotating may solve that.

Last edited by wwrx; 04-16-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by AdamBOMB_STi
AA Engineering
925-759-1534
^^^

Originally Posted by queeg9k
I hear edge motorworks no longer has a Subaru tech.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
Correct, but alignment was incorrect (lots of toe, when I asked for zero).

I run 245 square set-up