Sharks Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Stoll suspended for 1 game for hit on White....LA coach *****ing about Demers hit, saying it was "5 times worse"...Bullcrap.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:16 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
1 game is not nearly enough. The NHL sucks at punishing people.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Unit 91
1 game is not nearly enough. The NHL sucks at punishing people.
Funny how he gets a game suspension when the refs didn't even bother calling a penalty in the first place.

Payback's a ***** LA. I'd like to see someone from the Kings try another cheap shot like that again this series.

There will be blood.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:03 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

He should have gotten a 4 game suspension. Period. The NHL has consistently failed to set a precedent regarding disciplinary matters and metes out punishment haphazardly with what I can only describe as a child-like sense of whimsy. It truly sickens me that Bettman continues to allow this to happen and does not set a clearly defined set of rules for determining what actions to be taken in these situations. Instead, the inconsistent judgements handed forth rarely fit the crime. It's a joke.

Regardless of whether or not the call was made on the ice and despite the factors involved in the non-call the NHL has severely missed punishing Stoll correctly and sending a firm, no-nonsense 'not on my ice' message. Continually allowing this sort of behaviour is only further muddying the waters in what should be a much more clear-cut situation. Rarely does the NHL actually give a punishment fitting the crime.

[/rant]
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
He should have gotten a 4 game suspension. Period. The NHL has consistently failed to set a precedent regarding disciplinary matters and metes out punishment haphazardly with what I can only describe as a child-like sense of whimsy. It truly sickens me that Bettman continues to allow this to happen and does not set a clearly defined set of rules for determining what actions to be taken in these situations. Instead, the inconsistent judgements handed forth rarely fit the crime. It's a joke.

Regardless of whether or not the call was made on the ice and despite the factors involved in the non-call the NHL has severely missed punishing Stoll correctly and sending a firm, no-nonsense 'not on my ice' message. Continually allowing this sort of behaviour is only further muddying the waters in what should be a much more clear-cut situation. Rarely does the NHL actually give a punishment fitting the crime.

[/rant]
I agree with you on some points, but the statement that I outlined in bold may be the reason why we all love and watch hockey. The NFL has pussified itself with all the fines and penalties but i think the NHL is attempting to not go down that path. They want to keep it exciting with all the hits and fights. Are some of the hits horrid? Yes. Are there a few players laying down most of those hits? Probably.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with that...
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

I am mostly talking about hits to the head which the NHL has clearly stated will not be tolerated. Its the dangerous things I'm talking about. You can keep the game pure and just take the bad, ugly plays out. It wasn't a blanket statement as much as it sounded.

The NHL is a disciplinary joke, though. Hard to argue with that. Two exact hits will have completely different and arbitrary punishments. Its silly. Maybe they have a "punishment wheel" they spin. Who knows.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon
I agree with Unit 91. A lot of "bad" hits deserve more disciplinary action. 1 game is just ridiculous. Who cares if it's playoffs right now.

I didn't actually see the hit, but I heard it on the radio.

I understand most NHL fans watch the game for the hits, which, to each their own. But the game still needs to be safe for current and up and coming players.

As far as refs go, and their non-calls. That stuff happens every game. It's tough to see everything. I've ref'd roller hockey before. And I know I've missed a lot. Hell, I even tore my ACL because some idiot, in a game, boarded me. I crawled to the bench because I couldn't stand. No call from the refs. That kind of stuff just happens and there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

The no-calls I'm not even upset with. At the time they 'don't occur' I'm mad, but I understand how that works. It's the way the league handles itself after the game is over that irks me to no end. In some ways the players themselves should be ashamed because it seems their commission isn't pushing hard enough for fair, even and balanced discipline.

For the record I watch and play hockey for the beauty of the sport as much as the pace and violence. Probably more for the former reasons, but I do enjoy the rest. To say I didn't would be a lie.

As a fairly related aside - LA's coach is a douche canoe. I can't even understand how he would begin to argue that another hit was worse than one that took a player out of an entire game. He's a classless **** as far as I can tell.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 PM

For the record I watch and play hockey for the beauty of the sport as much as the pace and violence.
Where do you play?

I'm at Rollin Ice on Sunday's and Tuesday's. I was playing ice in Roseville on Friday's, but I just moved back to SJ, so hopefully I'll be playing at Logitech when the new season starts in a week and a half, if I can find a team.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Rollin' Ice Tuesday and Wednesday. I haven't played ice in... eons. I'd be down, but it means buying skates... maybe not quite yet.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 PM

Do you have a white WRX? I think I saw you leaving this last Tuesday. You were parked right in front of me and over one spot. I have the white bugeye wagon.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:10 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

I have a white 2011. Haven't played Tuesday yet. I start next week. What league are you in?
Old 04-16-2011, 01:59 AM

D7 on Tuesdays right now. Playing on Mad Hatters. I want to move back up to D5 or maybe D4 if my buddies have room on their teams.

I can't wait to get back on the ice though. Roller hurts my knees. LOL!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:11 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Wait... we're going to be on the same team. HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 AM

Nice! You're one of our free agent pick ups? LOL! Excellent!

Quick Reply: Sharks Thread