Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by ruehl
McFadden''s deal is actually not really for 4 million. Its 1.75 mil base with a max value of 4 mil in unlikely to achieve bonuses, such as a rushing title and other crazy things like that. Also only $100,000 is guaranteed.

Also, McKenzie is not attached and might not even want Al Davis guys at all except for Reece and they saw Veldeer only as a right tackle. Saffold can also play everything but center on the O-Line.

One thing to remember too is only worry about the guaranteed money since after 2 maybe 3 years since NFL contracts are here is money for 2 years and well see from there.

The Raiders are also going have to overpay for free agents for a year more years since no one wants to spend there prime in a losing situation. Look at what the Jags, Vikings, and Browns paid people. California taxes also don't help since 30 million in Texas or Florida is the same as ~$33 million in California.

Hopefully the address the D-line though. They could with Starks and Raji in the middle who they can pay a lot in year one to save money for subsequent years. Also, signing Alex Mack to an offer sheet and see what since it would solidify the O-Line that would/could be beasty with Saffold Wisnewski(sp), Mack, Barnes, Howard with Watson who could step in somewhere.
If they can land a couple high end guys on defense it could salvage this FA season... and a WR.

I don't like the idea of drafting an OT at the 5 spot. It's a great idea for a team with a stud QB and a team that's already good. But for a team with so many holes and no star players they need something. Not only for the team but for the fans.

The mock drafts I'm seeing are starting to push QB's really far down the draft so the best QB in the draft could potentially still be on the board at 5. It's crazy. If that happens it might be worth it.

This season so far has been really hard to follow what people are doing.

I've been WAY against the Raiders drafting a QB until the 3rd or 4th round but if they keep that 5 pick and things go the way they seem like they're going and Bridgewater is still on the board.... I can see them doing that.

At that pick they have 3 options... tough choice honestly. Depends on how the top 4 picks go.

Bridgewater
Matthewss
Watkins

My person preference would be to trade down and get Mack, Barr or Pryor. Both of those guys would drastically improve the defense. And if they're spending free agent money on Defensive line and bring Woodson back for 2 more years.... they're instantly competitive on defense. They could even trade a bit farther down and target Shazier or Cooks. Both of those guys are in the top few as far as speed in the draft at their position.

Zach Mettenberger is still one of my favorite QB's in the draft and they can get him in the second round no problem.

But if they take Bridgewater they could go with Carlos Hyde or Carl Bradford.

There are 3 killer TE's available in the second round too. But if they believe in who they have there they can go elsewhere for sure.

I think if they can manage to trade down in the first round and pick up a second or high 3rd round... they should do it. This draft is LOADED in the top 3 rounds with players at positions they can use.

O-line. All over defense. A few WR's. A few QB's. Their will be a few decent RB's on the board in the 3/4/5 rounds too.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Adam Schefter ********@AdamSchefter 3m
After a disagreement in OAK on OT Rodger Saffold's physical condition, he is returning to STL to sign a 5-yr contract with the Rams. Wow.

Adam Schefter ********@AdamSchefter 2m
Raiders had concerns about Saffold's shoulder; Rams had "no concerns whatsoever" about his shoulder, per agent Alan Herman and Jared Fox.

... 42.5 million failed physical ...

Lol what are the Raiders doing? At least I can justify the Niners additions as trying to flip low draft picks into possible future 2 round picks but Raiders gone full derp mode.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Eh, Niners replaced a huge hitter with another huge hitter. Similar aspect, didn't gain/lose much on the Whitner/Bethea move.

Martin isn't bad, starter lineman. Add that to Boone, Staley, Iupati, Davis it's startin' to look like a solid move.

Most of the days o-line studs are expensive or high worth, IE Velmont and Albert. Niners get a steal with Martin, who could possibly start if not be strong enough to back up our guys for low round pick. Niners locker room doesn't have idiots like Incognito in it, it's a locker room with vets and the value is winning. Best spot for Martin, and I bet the Dolphins wanted to get rid of him ASAP.

Niners made out thus far. I'm not 100% sure of the Gabbert move, but you know Harbaugh and QB fixes... well if Gabbert can check down and not throw away the game in the 4th quarter... who knows.

A team needs anchors, O-line and D-line.. if not you spend money on defense, at least that keeps you in the game.

When the weapons aren't badass in the draft, you stay conservative with the o-line and defense. Strengthening the D is what will keep you in games.

Wasn't the 49ers pass offense like 32nd?

Last edited by iLoqin; 03-12-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Adam Schefter ********@AdamSchefter 3m
After a disagreement in OAK on OT Rodger Saffold's physical condition, he is returning to STL to sign a 5-yr contract with the Rams. Wow.

Adam Schefter ********@AdamSchefter 2m
Raiders had concerns about Saffold's shoulder; Rams had "no concerns whatsoever" about his shoulder, per agent Alan Herman and Jared Fox.

... 42.5 million failed physical ...

Lol what are the Raiders doing? At least I can justify the Niners additions as trying to flip low draft picks into possible future 2 round picks but Raiders gone full derp mode.
**** REGGIE...

I haven't been a fan... These last few days are really making me hate him. Hes no talent evaluator.

This all could be avoided had he simply paid Jared Veldheer what he got in Arizona or gave him what they offered Safford.

Now we lost Veldheer and Safford.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
**** REGGIE...

I haven't been a fan... These last few days are really making me hate him. Hes no talent evaluator.

This all could be avoided had he simply paid Jared Veldheer what he got in Arizona or gave him what they offered Safford.

Now we lost Veldheer and Safford.
Veldheer probably didn't want to play in Oakland and made it known. You invest in Safford when he's injury prone. 1/3rd of the starting QBs, one of the most important positions, go out hurt during the year. Let alone all the other skill positions.

The Jennings release made zero sense... you put faith in what? McFadden for maybe 1/3rd of the carries? Who is the other truck? I could have sworn Jennings was the load carrier the whole season besides Reece.

LoL @ Safford failing the physical. Ohhh man letting Veldheer go is going to be the biggest fail in their tenure thus far.

Last edited by iLoqin; 03-12-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 PM
General Pimpin'

I just got done reading about that. I don't know wtf they're doing over there. This is about the biggest mess I've seen in a while.

They could probably trade down in the draft with someone like the Vikings and still be able to get Matthews and pick up another pick to spend on defense. Still be able to get Zack in the second round. Or trade down farther and get Shazier. Then Zack. Then O-line.

They're gonna have to kick it up in the FA market and do it quick. As long as they don't draft Carr or Johnny Football in the first round I'm ok. Or Watkins.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 PM

This makes it more likely to see some guys get overpaid for mediocre guys because the Raiders are going to need some bodies to fill.

Still scratching me head on Houston, too.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Eh, Niners replaced a huge hitter with another huge hitter. Similar aspect, didn't gain/lose much on the Whitner/Bethea move.

Martin isn't bad, starter lineman. Add that to Boone, Staley, Iupati, Davis it's startin' to look like a solid move.

Most of the days o-line studs are expensive or high worth, IE Velmont and Albert. Niners get a steal with Martin, who could possibly start if not be strong enough to back up our guys for low round pick. Niners locker room doesn't have idiots like Incognito in it, it's a locker room with vets and the value is winning. Best spot for Martin, and I bet the Dolphins wanted to get rid of him ASAP.

Niners made out thus far. I'm not 100% sure of the Gabbert move, but you know Harbaugh and QB fixes... well if Gabbert can check down and not throw away the game in the 4th quarter... who knows.

A team needs anchors, O-line and D-line.. if not you spend money on defense, at least that keeps you in the game.

When the weapons aren't badass in the draft, you stay conservative with the o-line and defense. Strengthening the D is what will keep you in games.

Wasn't the 49ers pass offense like 32nd?
They're gonna pick up Cooks in the first round. They resigned Boldin and they still have Crabtree and Patton and Baldwin and I think Osgood though one of the 3 isn't gonna make it. With a healthy Crabtree and the addition of someone like Cooks... much better. The run game is still good. The o-line is still good.

I think this is the year that they realize CK isn't the star he thinks he is. I called last season to the dot. I honestly wouldn't be surprise to see Blain step and do well. I honestly don't see them paying CK7. I don't see ANYONE paying him what he thinks he's worth. They can let him walk and pick up a QB in the draft next year.

They won't win a super bowl with CK7 at QB and Gore at back. Seattle is going to repeat next year unless Denver's offense can repeat what it did last year... improve at O-Line and all this FA work they're doing on defense gets them a top 10 defense.

GB is going to be good next year too. Cleveland is gonna be next years Cinci.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iLoqin
This makes it more likely to see some guys get overpaid for mediocre guys because the Raiders are going to need some bodies to fill.

Still scratching me head on Houston, too.
That's exactly what is going to happen. They're gonna panic and we're gonna have a Deangelo Hall situation. They're gonna get freaked out and start chucking money at guys that shouldn't be getting it.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's exactly what is going to happen. They're gonna panic and we're gonna have a Deangelo Hall situation. They're gonna get freaked out and start chucking money at guys that shouldn't be getting it.
I'm wondering how close Mark Davis is to firing McKenzie....

Who approved of aiming @ Saffold and not keeping Veldeer?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
They're gonna pick up Cooks in the first round. They resigned Boldin and they still have Crabtree and Patton and Baldwin and I think Osgood though one of the 3 isn't gonna make it. With a healthy Crabtree and the addition of someone like Cooks... much better. The run game is still good. The o-line is still good.

I think this is the year that they realize CK isn't the star he thinks he is. I called last season to the dot. I honestly wouldn't be surprise to see Blain step and do well. I honestly don't see them paying CK7. I don't see ANYONE paying him what he thinks he's worth. They can let him walk and pick up a QB in the draft next year.

They won't win a super bowl with CK7 at QB and Gore at back. Seattle is going to repeat next year unless Denver's offense can repeat what it did last year... improve at O-Line and all this FA work they're doing on defense gets them a top 10 defense.

GB is going to be good next year too. Cleveland is gonna be next years Cinci.

Gabbert pick is simply to flip and have a backup. Also if he can be groomed into an Alex Smith type, then it helps them in the contract talks next year. CK7 isn't going anywhere for the next couple of years. We can franchise tag him for a few years and it equates to something like 15 million over 3 years which is realistically what hes worth. He's probably going to be pissed QBing this year when his backup is making more money than him riding the bench. Should be interesting to see if he steps his game up and works on those NFL throws that make you part of the elite group. Another plus is the entire receiver core is now healthy but I still think we'll be at the bottom in the passing department due to Romans inability to draw up plays to players strengths. Anyway this is a rant I should probably make in the Niner thread.

Good luck Raider brahs, I honestly thought you guys were going to be contenders in the next 5 years with all that money but its really looking like I was wrong. I mean how hard is to build an O/D line with FAs, pick up Watkins and sign Vick for a year or two. Apparently very hard when you're giving guys like McGlass free money to ride the bench and letting your good players walk.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM
General Pimpin'

Agree. You're pretty on point there. Gives them 2-3 years to see if Gabbert can live up to the potential or to find someone in the draft.

I seriously hope Oakland drafts that kid from San Jose State... or S.F.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Tuck and Woodley... Really like Tuck. I think Woodley will work out as well, just maybe not as much left in the tank.

Feeling better...
Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
General Pimpin'

Same here. They're both good pick ups.

Now if we can land an O-Lineman worth something, a running back and a wide receiver. Do the rest in the draft.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Terrelle Pryor appears on the way out in Oakland | ProFootballTalk

First thing that came to mind when I saw the headline was that Cam Newton just went down for ankle surgery. But the fact is... the dude hasn't shown that he can be a QB at this level. I think the potential is there and if he wants to give it an honest go then asking for a trade was probably his only hope. But he may need to learn something from Tebow and see what happens when someone refuses to admit that it's over. They both had the build and ability to be in the NFL and probably play quite a bit at another position. Tebow at RB/TE and Pryor at WR. The dude can flat out fly. He's an athlete so I'm sure he can catch at least reasonably well. Turn him loose on the secondary. Dude could be a lethal WR with 1-2 years of coaching. Hell... put a few more pounds on him and he could probably be an RB for Oakland.

Dude is faster than I think all but maybe 1 or 2 WR's in this years NFL draft and as fast as all but maybe 4 RB's that have been in the draft in the last 5 years.

I honestly think his game speed is faster than the 4.38 he posted in the combine.

I'd like to see Oakland keep him as the 3rd QB and start working him in at WR. But if he's not willing to then maybe they can get a pick out of him from Carolina.

Quick Reply: Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread