Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:33 PM

If you take away Alex Smith's RB (esp on passing plays), he is very beatable. Before Gore was hurt, Smith's leading receptionist was Gore. Now that he's with KC, I don't even have to look to see that his leading receptionist is the RB. But I will look, and whattyaknow, Jamaal Charles, their main RB, is basically their primary receiver. Contain the RB and you basically contain Alex Smith.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
If you take away Alex Smith's RB (esp on passing plays), he is very beatable. Before Gore was hurt, Smith's leading receptionist was Gore. Now that he's with KC, I don't even have to look to see that his leading receptionist is the RB. But I will look, and whattyaknow, Jamaal Charles, their main RB, is basically their primary receiver. Contain the RB and you basically contain Alex Smith.
They have the same issue there that the niners have... lack of hand to catch.

Bowe. Over rated. Dude just can't get open.
Avery. Over rated. Dude can't catch for crap. He's like DHB without the breakaway.
Fasano... dude has 4 catches. He's there to block. But they need to hit the TE more... that's a couching issue.

The one dude they need to figure out how to use is Dexter McCluster. Unfortunately that dude is full of what if and why not? Over rated.

Honestly... they should be using charles like they are. He should get the ball 25 plus times a game.

As soon as they figure out how to use McCluster and run 3wr sets they can start to open up. Right now they're making money on the run and dump.

But by the end of the year I won't be surprised to see Fasano getting more looks and McCluster getting 5-8 targets a game.

Bottom line... they're garbage. They need to get out of Bowe asap. Avery is fine as a number 2 and mccluster is fine at 3 if you use him correctly. Either way... they need a new WR.

My bet... this draft... Brandon Coleman ends up a chief.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:08 PM
General Pimpin'

oh... and I think the Raider defense has the ability to shut KC down. The question is... can they score on KC's defense? This has the potential of a low scoring ugly game. Lots of 3 and outs.

Janikowski might have to win it alone.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
KC signed Bowe to an extension before the season so he isn't going anywhere and Avery is nearly as fast as DHB, 4.34 40, but is inconsistent as hell. The problem with Bowe is he is consistently double teamed because no one respects Avery or McCluster. and Alex Smith does not make throws where his WR has to make a play.

With RB and the Raiders. There is no reason to spend a high pick on one or pay one big money. They are hit and miss in the draft and there are always valuable players on the market. Examples in the draft this year are Bernard in CIN and Michael in SEA, who might be the lead back there next year if they cut Lynch, and in free agency with McGahee and Bradshaw who both signed minimum or near minimum deals.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by ruehl
KC signed Bowe to an extension before the season so he isn't going anywhere and Avery is nearly as fast as DHB, 4.34 40, but is inconsistent as hell. The problem with Bowe is he is consistently double teamed because no one respects Avery or McCluster. and Alex Smith does not make throws where his WR has to make a play.

With RB and the Raiders. There is no reason to spend a high pick on one or pay one big money. They are hit and miss in the draft and there are always valuable players on the market. Examples in the draft this year are Bernard in CIN and Michael in SEA, who might be the lead back there next year if they cut Lynch, and in free agency with McGahee and Bradshaw who both signed minimum or near minimum deals.

I'm a big McGahee fan but that type of player isn't what the Raiders need. And as for a draft pick... it's always hit or miss but you take shots at places you need. Nothing is guaranteed. There are a couple backs that would be worth a look in the second or third round and there's a couple TE's that would be worth a look there too.

This draft is killer for defense so I see them picking there for the most part.

Most of the names I called out won't be huge money back if they can get them as they're back ups where they're at and if they dump McFadden they'll have the money to spend at that position.

Ben Tate is the one that will draw the biggest contract.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bradshaw go back on the market again. He'd be reasonable.

Gerhart is gonna be looking to get the hell out of Vikings territory. He'd be reasonable.

James Starks would probably be a good guy to go after if they can. Blount and Battle will both be free agents as well.

There are going to be a lot of guys on the market this year so a high draft pick might not be the best idea unless someone starts to show potential. But I wouldn't be upset if they went for one in the 3rd-5th rounds. I think 1/2 should go defense. DE/LB. There are killer ones in the draft in the top 2 rounds.

And i wouldn't mind seeing how starks worked out... and I'm a gerhart fan. But I think he'd be more like... the one guy with a really fast change of pace guy... there's a couple in the draft. But Reece ain't that guy. LOL!

As for KC. Yeah Bowe signed a fat deal and he gets a lot of doubles. But he doesn't get open anyways. I think they paid him too much and he's just not giving a crap. I compared Avery to DHB for a reason. They're very similar. I think he'd be great in the slot if he works on his hands and more consistent routes. He's the kind of guy that could explode with Alex Smith because he can get those 7 yard passes and go 30 yards. That's what they need to do. But they need a solid number 2 to make that happen.

McCluster is good but he'll never be as good as he seems like he should be. Not sure why. But he's a good 3/4 guy and he can run the ball if they need him too. I like him a lot. Learn how to use him 5-10 plays a game. He loves carving up the Raiders so we'll see if they realize that.

Smith can't go deep. There's no deep threat so you don't have to worry about Avery going over the top. Makes shutting down Bowe pretty easy. And Andy loves to use the RB and short dump control the clock offense. He's got the perfect team to do what he likes to do.

And I don't think Lynch is going anywhere... yet.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:12 PM
General Pimpin'

You see that crap about A.P.'s 2 year old son dying?

Worthless POS. What kind of S.O.B. attacks a 2 year old and beats them to death. I hope his x's boyfriend gets rung up for life. Gets put in general population and lets everyone know why he's there. He'll have his teeth knocked out and be someone dump tank for life.

Worthless POS. Makes me sick.

I feel aweful for A.P. I can't imagine what he's going through.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM

Only reason they might cut Lynch is his guaranteed money ends this year and he is expensive. He is owed 5 million in 14 and 15 plus incentives based on playing time and they might start front loading contracts because Wilson will be expensive. They might want to restructure early when he is making less that 1million a year because they will have the leverage then. Its also best to be one year early than one year late when cutting bait on expensive RBs.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by ruehl
Only reason they might cut Lynch is his guaranteed money ends this year and he is expensive. He is owed 5 million in 14 and 15 plus incentives based on playing time and they might start front loading contracts because Wilson will be expensive. They might want to restructure early when he is making less that 1million a year because they will have the leverage then. Its also best to be one year early than one year late when cutting bait on expensive RBs.

I can see that but I just don't think it'll happen. They might sign him to an extension and just reduce guaranteed. Get rid of that final year hard hit.

I just don't see them releasing him. He's only 27 years old. Like 3000 yards of offense the last 2 years and he's on pace for 1600 yards this year. He's got a TON of value as a free agent and a lot of value in trade. No way they release him. I just don't see it.

Yes they drafted a potential replacement but he's not even close to ready yet and he's 3rd on the depth chart right now and Turbin ain't the guy.

Lynch is one of the best in the game right now.

He's a big cap hit next year but they can afford it. 2015 is his contract year. So at some point in 2014 they're going to have to decide... do we resign this dude to a long term deal. Lock him down in to his mid 30's. Or do we trade him to someone that needs someone right now because the way he runs he'll be on the down slope by 32.

It'll depend on Michael. Dude only has like 10 carries. He is NOT the guy next year. He could be the guy in 2 years. So I think you'll see him getting a lot of work the second half of the season and next preseason. They'll keep Lynch this year. THey'll keep Lynch next year.

If Michael looks like he is the dude... they'll trade Lynch to a contender that needs someone.... out of their division. Or to a team that's stacked with draft picks. The jets come to mind.

But that's my bet... he'll be there this year and he'll be on the roster next year. They'll either trade him before his final year or they'll push him for an extension. Lynch will have the cards at that point though so i don't see it going in to his final year.

I think if it does he'll just take the risk and play out his final year with no contract because he'll be a HUGE player as a free agent if he stays mostly healthy and puts down 1500-1700 yards every year between now and then... and then they'll loose him and get nothing.

No release. He'll get traded next year.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Its hard to trade RBs especially older ones and he has those random back issues that haven't came up this year but they exist. He also might have a suspension coming for the DUI he got. He will defiantly be there rest of the season but next year and the following they can get away from the contract without taking a cap hit. No doubt about his talent but RBs aren't what they use to be.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Too many mistakes by Pryor today. Won't throw the ball away when pressured, instead, runs backwards to lose yardage. Lousy interceptions (where he should've just thrown the ball away) that leads to TDs. Delay of game penalties, false starts...

Last edited by TurnWRX; 10-13-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Pryor didn't do himself any favors. Incredibly bad decision making on the int and in the final possessions.

All it should have taken to fix that would have been "If you're going to run, run foward. If you're not, throw it away. No one is blocking for you so make a choice and stick with it."

As for running backs, Gerhart would be great to have here. But clearly the O-Line is impossibly bad on this team. Support across the entire O-Line should be top priority for now and into the draft.

Even if Pryor had made better decisions, he's getting absolutely no protection. He's going to get forced into more INTs and more sacs until that's shored up.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Raiders were tied for the longest time, and that "Jump int" was so stupid. Completely rookie mistake. Let your defense play, they were doing well. After that it was just dumb play after dumb play by him. He definitely looked flustered getting sacked that many times, but don't EVER toss up a rock like that. Sure it was a lucky thing in your early couple of games, but you're playing against the Chiefs, highest scoring defense, and he fed 'em.

Btw, thanks my Chiefs defense was crap til the 2nd half where I got 26 pts which saved me from a dismal Brees and Manning pts.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
It was great until we lost Gurode and Pashos. He only sacked 3 times in first half. 7 in 2nd half.

I'm not going to pin this on pryor so much. He should have thrown away, but that doesnt put up points. He should have thrown away to punt and see what the defense can do. KC only got offense scores on short yardage. If not for that, raiders could have won. That's really his only mistake, not throwing away.

I'm not Happy with streater. He doesn't jump and fight for a ball. He wants it to come to him, giving the CB amble space and time to ****** it. This is how we lost to INDY.

You just can't expect Pryor to do well against such a defense when the OL is zero starters and half plying out of position.

Hopefully we get some guys healed up. We have some winnable games Coming.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
It was great until we lost Gurode and Pashos. He only sacked 3 times in first half. 7 in 2nd half.

I'm not going to pin this on pryor so much. He should have thrown away, but that doesnt put up points. He should have thrown away to punt and see what the defense can do. KC only got offense scores on short yardage. If not for that, raiders could have won. That's really his only mistake, not throwing away.

I'm not Happy with streater. He doesn't jump and fight for a ball. He wants it to come to him, giving the CB amble space and time to ****** it. This is how we lost to INDY.

You just can't expect Pryor to do well against such a defense when the OL is zero starters and half plying out of position.

Hopefully we get some guys healed up. We have some winnable games Coming.
I agree. Impressive first 3 quarters really. It was the 4th quarter where they got blown up and that was with pretty much no offensive line and no WR's even trying.

After this game... here's my input.

1. Pryor is the real deal. Why? Because he responded with this... I lost the game for us. I'll get knocked down but I'll come up swinging. This dude will keep improving if the Raiders SUPPORT HIM.

2. McFadden has got to go. Gonna suck to not get anything for him but he's got to go. He's going to cost too much to resign and there are too many other options on the board for next year.

3. I like Moore. We need to keep this dude. Streeter is over rated. He's got no business being anything but a 3/4 guy. He shows a lack of effort. Runs crap routes and blocks like crap. If I had to choose that spot... Ford. They need to figure out how to get Ford involved more.

4. Jennings looks like he'll do just fine as a Raider. I'd bring him back to back up whoever they get.

5. Draft... I was thinking WR/RB early. But I'm thinking RB free agent. Rd. 1 go defense. Either one of the big defensive line names... or trade down and pick one of the super solid LB's that will be available. After that I'd maybe consider one of the TE's this year. There are some really good ones. And Offensive line. Maybe go O line in the second round. Then go TE in the 3rd. Depending on what they get for trading down they could get another O lineman high.

I'm impressed with the decisions being made right now. The team is a lot closer to be competitive than I expected. If they make some smart moves this year they'll be half decent next year but they're 2-3 years of good decisions away from even consideration for play off talks.

But they have something huge working for them... they've got money if they're smart. They'll have good picks the next 2 years. Peyton Manning is gone in no more than 3 years. They're looking like the better team compared to SD. The cheifs are solid but I think the Raiders can catch them in 3 years.

So we'll sit through an entertaining but heart breaking season this year an probably again next year. Then I honestly think we're back on track.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

I can watch that over, and over again...

Quick Reply: Official: Oakland Raiders 2013/2014 Season Thread