If a guy asks his girlfriend to move in with him, does she have to pay rent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Car Info: wrx 2012
YES! Split everything. The GF and i share a credit card (under my name of course) and split the bill at the end of the month. You're actually doing the relationship a favor to promote equal contributions. Like others have said, you wont hate yourself if it goes FUBAR.

+extra cash for parts or impulse buys.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by sf.wrx
YES! Split everything. The GF and i share a credit card (under my name of course) and split the bill at the end of the month. You're actually doing the relationship a favor to promote equal contributions. Like others have said, you wont hate yourself if it goes FUBAR.

+extra cash for parts or impulse buys.
if that's working for you awesome.

Credit card bills are different IMO. example, she goes and spends 100 on shoes with the CC and you go spend 347 on some car part. why should she be paying for your 347 purchase? Also have seen this happen, a couple shares a Credit card, everything is good and they are making the card payments and what not. Then stuff happens, person A goes and damn near maxes the card out and bounces leaving the card holder (person b) responsible for the purchases they didn't even make and since the credit card is in person b name, person b has to now pay it off and then have fun in small claims trying to get that money back.
I don't know about others but I would without a doubt be pissed and not happy with myself for making that kind of decision.
I have been with my wife for close to 10 and married for going on 5 years and we both still have our own personal Credit cards.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Car Info: Nadda
We split rent, utilities, laundry, food, etc. Created a spreadsheet and calculated everything.

We have separate credit cards and split as necessary if one of the costs goes onto 1 person's card, it's divided by 2 in the spreadsheet. Then she has her credit card for personal purchases, so do I, but we log it all on a spreadsheet so we know how much who spends.

Last edited by iLoqin; 09-23-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by iLoqin
We split rent, utilities, laundry, food, etc. Created a spreadsheet and calculated everything.

We have separate credit cards and split as necessary if one of the costs goes onto 1 person's card, it's divided by 2 in the spreadsheet. Then she has her credit card for personal purchases, so do I, but we log it all on a spreadsheet so we know how much who spends.
Spreadsheets rule!!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
Depends, if she's smoking hot and suck the chrome off a bumper from 30 yards I'd carry her for a while!

If not then screw it I'd have her pay half of everything, work a full time job, cook my meals, clean the house, do my laundry etc etc.

But that's just me and probably why I'm cooking a burger on the grill to share with my dog tonight!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 PM

Car Info: car
Blow jobs > Money
Old 09-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
Originally Posted by Hobosexual
Blow jobs > Money
This
Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
IMO if they are sharing the same room I don't think it should be split that way. You still have your amount of space while his is now halved, so if anything she can pay half of his rent. However I do believe utilities should be evenly split between the 3 of you.

I rented my huge 2nd bedroom in my old house. I charged $550 if one person wanted it or $325 ($650) a person if 2 people wanted to share it because it could accommodate 2 beds.

Last edited by Brfatal; 09-23-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Nah screw that, make her pay, if she really wants to stay and be together, this would be a great way to find out if she's on the same boat as you. Idk about you guys but an independent women who can carry her own weight is defiantly a keeper.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by henyaoh
Nah screw that, make her pay, if she really wants to stay and be together, this would be a great way to find out if she's on the same boat as you. Idk about you guys but an independent women who can carry her own weight is defiantly a keeper.
Except I found there is no such thing...yes, some are much more independent than others, but it is all equality and independence right up until the restaurant check arrives, her oil needs changing or her shopping bags need carry (or whatever example you want to use)...then the old fashion notions suddenly prevail. At the end of the day, women still want men to be men...i.e. strong male figures that can care for them and/or support a family. Nothing wrong with that, just genetics and centuries of social programming.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 09-24-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
... another friend his lady makes BANK so she pays a little more so he has more "play money". i told him to read that as RING MONEY and to not lag on getting the ring LOL.
I need to find myself a suger momma like that.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Did they discuss this before moving in?

Was it... "wanna move in with me? You pay half the rent, you'll get your own room (or at least half the closet and all storage space, the other side of the garage, etc), move your stuff in, we'll share space, etc"

or.. "wanna move in with me, you get no space of your own, let me **** you at will, and pay half rent?"
Old 09-24-2014, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Except I found there is no such thing...yes, some are much more independent than others, but it is all equality and independence right up until the restaurant check arrives, her oil needs changing or her shopping bags need carry (or whatever example you want to use)...then the old fashion notions suddenly prevail. At the end of the day, women still want men to be men...i.e. strong male figures that can care for them and/or support a family. Nothing wrong with that, just genetics and centuries of social programming.
No such thing in this country. You must import.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by LxJLthr

I see that as reality, in that, I see this all the time.

However I really feel that women are men's equals. They can pay for their tab, they can carry the bags, they can change the oil...

The key is if they want to and few do. This I blame on gender roles. You better believe all my kids will be able to sew, change oil, shoot guns and be compassionate. I plan to fully raise them all as equals and hope they see that.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by i<3dirt
Well if she/he does not have a job, she/he should help out around the house.
you mean **** sex?

Quick Reply: If a guy asks his girlfriend to move in with him, does she have to pay rent?