If a guy asks his girlfriend to move in with him, does she have to pay rent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
When my gf moved in with me at my old place I made her pay the cable + bills. When we moved in together we worked it out that she paid less rent but all bills because she's good with payments schedules etc and I always forget haha
Old 09-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by beLittled
Well I haven't personally been in a situation as such but I would assume if she paid part mortgage without there being clear guidelines in the beginning things may get ugly if the couple were to ever break up. She may argue that she was helping him pay for the property; of course it would be only his name on the paper work but I'm still cautious.
Each relationship is different so it really is hard to come up with a straight answer.

It's like asking if couples should have joint accounts or separate. .*shrug

Edit: to Skizz yes I do think they should definitely split everything else (utilities, food, insurance, etc) but the question specifically asked about rent.
I get that, but at the same time wherever you're paying rent, you're paying someones mortgage. In that case you just so happen to be dating the landlord too.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STI
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03

I get that, but at the same time wherever you're paying rent, you're paying someones mortgage. In that case you just so happen to be dating the landlord too.
Except when you are renting or leasing from a second party there is a contract and it's more or less a business transaction. Unless you want to set up a notarized contract with your significant other so that they can't come back and sue you. .
Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
/\This right here. My wife and I split rent and bills down the middle when we moved in together years ago. A good friend and his lady do it a lil different, he pays the rent she covers all the bills and their car payment too so it ends up being close to equal but he does make a bit more and another friend his lady makes BANK so she pays a little more so he has more "play money". i told him to read that as RING MONEY and to not lag on getting the ring LOL.
Thats what i do, split it where i pay the mortgage and she pays the bills. But we are married.

Dating, i would split it.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
True that

Except when you are renting or leasing from a second party there is a contract and it's more or less a business transaction. Unless you want to set up a notarized contract with your significant other so that they can't come back and sue you. .
Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
I don't know about splitting down the middle. My fiance and I live in a 3 bedroom townhouse that allows dogs (her dogs). She was paying for that place long before she asked me to move in. I pay a little over 1/3 of the rent but I also take care of 100% of our entertainment costs (eating out, bar tabs, vegas trips). Meanwhile my savings are all going towards the down payment on a house next year.

It all works out in the end I suppose.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
I don't know about splitting down the middle. My fiance and I live in a 3 bedroom townhouse that allows dogs (her dogs). She was paying for that place long before she asked me to move in. I pay a little over 1/3 of the rent but I also take care of 100% of our entertainment costs (eating out, bar tabs, vegas trips). Meanwhile my savings are all going towards the down payment on a house next year.

It all works out in the end I suppose.
That's totally fair. Food is expensive as hell, and I'm sure she likes being taken out.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
At the end of the day, barring any life changing events or circumstances, each side has to equally and fairly contribute into the relationship and household (whether monetary or non-monetary). Obviously, each situation is different and there are always compromises and exceptions. Regardless, such a move requires a mature discussion about expectations, planning and budgeting.

Originally Posted by LOL_VTEC
What would be the argument against the girl/guy not paying?
In no particular order...

1) The girl is pregnant and plans to be a stay at home mom
2) The girl is a full time student, so there is future earnings potential (or a quick break up as soon as she finishes and finds a job)
3) The girl is injured, sick, etc and the guy is helping her recover
4) Citizenship "arrangement"
5) The guy is in loooove *cough* whipped *cough*
6) Girl has a warped sense of entitlement and/or gold diggin' ho'
7) ???

Hopefully, there would need to be some non-monetary efforts/contributions on the other side to help balance out the equation.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
And make sammiches.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Well I haven't personally been in a situation as such but I would assume if she paid part mortgage without there being clear guidelines in the beginning things may get ugly if the couple were to ever break up. She may argue that she was helping him pay for the property; of course it would be only his name on the paper work but I'm still cautious.
Each relationship is different so it really is hard to come up with a straight answer.

It's like asking if couples should have joint accounts or separate. .*shrug

Edit: to Skizz yes I do think they should definitely split everything else (utilities, food, insurance, etc) but the question specifically asked about rent.
That joint account or separate is a touchy subject for some peeps, its crazy some of the reactions i get. And some reactions are well expected. One piece of advice. Don't go full joint accounts with someone until engaged or Married. Sure there might be peeps who it has worked for or is working for but its also very easy for someone to get over on and even bleed someone dry. i have a a few friends (guys and girls) with varying stories all with similar ending.. :-(

Still think if a person owns a home/paying a mortgage the other party should cover all the bills unless somehow they = or are more than the mortgage. Also it can depend on how much the home owner makes. Owning a house isn't cheap.

Last edited by SkizzDawg; 09-23-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
How many bathrooms does the place have?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 2007 SWP STI
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg

That joint account or separate is a touchy subject for some peeps, its crazy some of the reactions i get. And some reactions are well expected. One piece of advice. Don't go full joint accounts with someone until engaged or Married. Sure there migh be peeps who it has worked for or is working for but its also very easy for someone to get over on and even bleed someone dry. i have a a few friends (guys and girls) with varying stories all with similar ending.. :-(

Still think if a person owns a home/paying a mortgage the other party should cover all the bills unless somehow they = or are more than the mortgage. Also it can depend on how much the home owner makes. Owning a house isn't cheap.
I completely agree with you; it's just hard to come to an answer if you aren't talking about your own situation because everyone has different lives.
For example, I would definitely help my significant other with mortgage payments but I feel strongly that if something went sour in our relationship I wouldn't use it against him. Even if the person would say they wouldn't hold it against their partner, there really is no predicting the future. When you are in love your vision can be cloudy. There are crazy people out there so I don't hold others to my opinions and values because what works for me might not work for them.
All other bills such as utilities make perfect sense to split because it is something each individual consumes and isn't as sensitive as property.
Some people feel so entitled to be carried though. . man or woman (let's face it, mostly women).
Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Originally Posted by LOL_VTEC
What would be the argument against the girl/guy not paying?
No rent (ie: to "pay" through other means) is kinda tantmount to prostitution/live in mistress otherwise. Which I guess is ok if both are down...

Down the middle for most bills otherwise, and say each pay their respective service bills on such things not shared.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Oh I also forgot to mention my Girlfriend is paying for everything at the moment and I hate it. This is what we agreed on though so its not like a surprise to her.

When we moved out she had a good paying job and can afford everything by herself. It has been my job to find house to live in, in a neighbor hood we like. I have also been keeping the house clean, making her lunches and cooking most of the meals.

I can't wait to start working again.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:35 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by belittled
some people feel so entitled to be carried though. . i.e. Immature, irresponsible people.
ftfy

Quick Reply: If a guy asks his girlfriend to move in with him, does she have to pay rent?