BAIC saltwater fish tank thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
BAIC saltwater fish tank thread-forumrunner_20140829_165351.png
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 2008 wrx sedan
My two biggest love fish tanks and subies. Currently have a 125 gallon freshwater and tearing down my 100 gallon long FOWL eventually to turn the brand new 135 gallon I'm looking at in my living room into a reef tank. I have a lot of work to do and prolly going to reinforce the floor to be sure so prolly won't be up for some time
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by crobb
My two biggest love fish tanks and subies. Currently have a 125 gallon freshwater and tearing down my 100 gallon long FOWL eventually to turn the brand new 135 gallon I'm looking at in my living room into a reef tank. I have a lot of work to do and prolly going to reinforce the floor to be sure so prolly won't be up for some time
Haha dayum! I think the biggest tank i would have is a 65 regular.
Im on the 2nd floor of a complex built in 70s so downgrading from a 30 to a 14 was a relief.
Im not a big fan of freshwater unless its a cold tank like salmon and stuff haha.
Reefs ftw!!!!! Lots of work. Another reason im glad i downgraded hahahaha. You should have seen how much poop was in my sand and under my rocks when transfering.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 2008 wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Haha dayum! I think the biggest tank i would have is a 65 regular. Im on the 2nd floor of a complex built in 70s so downgrading from a 30 to a 14 was a relief. Im not a big fan of freshwater unless its a cold tank like salmon and stuff haha. Reefs ftw!!!!! Lots of work. Another reason im glad i downgraded hahahaha. You should have seen how much poop was in my sand and under my rocks when transfering.
Luckily I'm in a house so i can get away with bigger tanks. Going to reinforce the floor when I set up the 135 reef because will have a big sump underneath too. My freshwater tank is mainly for my African sideneck turtle but have a school of neon tetras, some yoyo loaches, African featherfin and a breeding pair of albino bristle nose plecos. After going salt water though can say there is no going back for me. I'm hooked
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by crobb

Luckily I'm in a house so i can get away with bigger tanks. Going to reinforce the floor when I set up the 135 reef because will have a big sump underneath too. My freshwater tank is mainly for my African sideneck turtle but have a school of neon tetras, some yoyo loaches, African featherfin and a breeding pair of albino bristle nose plecos. After going salt water though can say there is no going back for me. I'm hooked
Yep same here. When i decided to sell my 30 gal i was going to get rid of everything but after i couldnt stomach getting rid of my expensive coral and my naked clown, i bought a 14gal biocube and set it up to transfer my prize pieces. Now im spending more money on more corals to pack in it cause my 30 felt too big for my amount of dedication. This 14 is perfect.
Plus my new fixture has a wireless controller and does sweeping clouds, thunderstorm/lightning, sunrise and sunset. My corals and growing way better.
After two years of having my clowns and nem in the 30, they wouldnt host it. So before i put them in the 14 i put them in a strainer with the nem. Took 2 days before my naked clown found his instinctual home cant get them out of it now haha.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:42 PM

A few new additions to the reef family

BAIC saltwater fish tank thread-forumrunner_20140903_134119.png

BAIC saltwater fish tank thread-forumrunner_20140903_134111.png

BAIC saltwater fish tank thread-forumrunner_20140903_134104.png
Old 09-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 2012 PBP STI
I have an 80 gallon 48 inches off the floor, with a 55 sump underneath.
Seems scary, but the floor seems to be holding up, and it didn't fall over or break through the floor when that quake hit recently

I just got an Apex Controller, and it's the greatest thing ever.
Knowing Salinity, pH, temp, and what equipment is on or not at all times is extremely comforting.

Next project is custom LED fixture, as my current lights aren't cutting it in the new tank.
Once that's done and everything is happy I'll probably poke around for some new specimens

I should have paid more attention to this thread, would have bought that 30 from you. Instead I just hooked up a 20 gallon setup in the garage where I'm curing new rock, and may just try out a small setup there, though there will be more temp flux and I might need a chiller in the garage (gets hot during the day in there).
Old 09-05-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by frost0fractal
I have an 80 gallon 48 inches off the floor, with a 55 sump underneath.
Seems scary, but the floor seems to be holding up, and it didn't fall over or break through the floor when that quake hit recently

I just got an Apex Controller, and it's the greatest thing ever.
Knowing Salinity, pH, temp, and what equipment is on or not at all times is extremely comforting.

Next project is custom LED fixture, as my current lights aren't cutting it in the new tank.
Once that's done and everything is happy I'll probably poke around for some new specimens

I should have paid more attention to this thread, would have bought that 30 from you. Instead I just hooked up a 20 gallon setup in the garage where I'm curing new rock, and may just try out a small setup there, though there will be more temp flux and I might need a chiller in the garage (gets hot during the day in there).
Niceee. I bet that apex is nice. Im dropping another $120 for a wireless controller and adapter for my ai nano.
You should look into a couple ai sols and a wireless controller for your 80. Nice *** fixtures. Sweeping cloud cover, thunderstorms, sunrise and sun set
Old 09-06-2014, 12:56 AM

Niceee. I bet that apex is nice. Im dropping another $120 for a wireless controller and adapter for my ai nano.
You should look into a couple ai sols and a wireless controller for your 80. Nice *** fixtures. Sweeping cloud cover, thunderstorms, sunrise and sun set
Yeah the Apex has 4 channels all ready to be used for LED control, 0-10V.
I'll be using that to program my own light cycles and preset light modes.
I just need to decide on what fixture and drivers.
Mostly looking at DIY kits right now to save on the cost.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:58 AM

A few new additions to the reef family

Attachment 90265
What's that blue guy on the left, some type of acan?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 AM

Yeah the Apex has 4 channels all ready to be used for LED control, 0-10V.
I'll be using that to program my own light cycles and preset light modes.
I just need to decide on what fixture and drivers.
Mostly looking at DIY kits right now to save on the cost.
Theres a guy whos got the hookup on thr ai fixtures for cheap. Just lmk.
So i decided to order the controller but hold off on the wireless adapter since i can run a stereo cable to the fixture still for data.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:09 AM

What's that blue guy on the left, some type of acan?
Yea its a teal eye red rimmed favia. I think same family as acans and war coral.
Used to have a christmas favia like this too but it melted away under my underpar beamswork leds.

BAIC saltwater fish tank thread-forumrunner_20140906_010932.png
Old 09-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Let me know what kind of a deal someone can get me.
Currently trying to figure out what in my house I'm going to sell to get a pair of Hydra 52's.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 PM

Just posted in the forum to see if anyone does.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Which forum?

Quick Reply: BAIC saltwater fish tank thread