Apple Deleted Music From Customers' iPods

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I am certain that term has already been patented and you will be hearing soon from the Apple legal department
damn it ! you're probably right, know a good lawyer?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
damn it ! you're probably right, know a good lawyer?
Pft! You don't need no stinkin' lawyer. Just hire Overbear and get him a baseball bat or five
Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Car Info: DGM STI
I use prime for sampling stuff I haven't heard before. If I like it I end up buying it. Interestingly enough some tracks last week disappeared. They were still technically on my playlist but Amazon was kind enough to have a blurb saying the song was no longer available on prime. I then had to buy it or manually remove it from the playlist/library and whatnot.

I wonder if there was some label copyright stuff that ended up being related to the Apple deal.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Now - that's a good question
Old 12-05-2014, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by El Wray

I wonder if there was some label copyright stuff that ended up being related to the Apple deal.
Thats pretty much exactly the reason. Heres some copy paste from Mac Rumors

Steve Jobs-

"We had pretty much black and white contracts with the labels," Jobs said in the deposition. Those contracts stipulated that if people violated Apple's FairPlay digital rights management system, a technology that would detect other music stores' song files and prevent users from loading them onto the iPod, "... that would be in clear violation of the licenses we had from the labels and they could cease giving us music at any time."

Eddy Cue -

In addition to arguing that its DRM was required for deals with record companies, Apple is also positioning its efforts to lock down iTunes and the iPod as a measure to protect consumers from hackers and malicious content. "If a hack happened, we had to remedy the hack within a certain time period," Cue told the court. If the problem wasn't fixed in a timely manner, record companies could pull their music from iTunes, so Apple had to push regular updates to iTunes and its DRM to prevent "hacks" circumventing the technology.

So basically the reason it deleted MP3s from other services is that their MP3s were protected with DRM that was incompatible the Apple FairPlay DRM (that the labels insisted on) and security against hacks.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
^That last bit isn't some small thing Apple's taking advantage of. You'd be surprised with today's vehicle systems how easy it would be to install something on a mobile device and allow it to then be put into taking over your vehicle's control module system.
Digital Carjackers Show Off New Attacks - Forbes At least taking a small step towards filtering violations is addressing a part of the pending issues.
(Not that I still don't think Tim Cook is a putz.)

/firstworldproblems
Old 12-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Car Info: Toyota pickup, Tuono, '62 Mini

Watch 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' and read the Jobs biography. Jobs was a truly despicable, appalling excuse for a human being. Apple products are for the kind of people who used AOL 15 years ago - don't want to think for themselves and not bright enough to realize they are being ripped off.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe (or possibly someone waiting 3 days in line for the new iPhone 571S speaking about Android users)
Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX Sedan
So....is there a better program to use then itunes for music on my PC?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by Throwdown
Old 12-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Originally Posted by Throwdown
Amazon, Google Music, Spotify, Pandora...
come to mind
Old 12-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by subysteez
Linux ftw!
Agreed with mostly everything said, and while I have a lot of problems with apple mainly because I know quite a few people who worked at the hell hole.

That being said the iOS is far more secure than a regular android phone and the same apps tend IMO seem to be more reliable on the iphone.

Apple has a ton of bull**** they perpetuate including using special hardware and not having operating system discs in store. Pretty ****ty. That being said I also don't forget the days of running software on vista, and how much of a joke that os was. There was a point in time which apple os and macs popular simply because windows was so broken and ****ed up.

Joe just wanted to make sure you know that apple operating system is linux, and if you are more than a home video game user and movie watcher (you posses technical skills) you know the apple OS is far more powerful, modular, than the windows os for anything besides video games and os specific software. The sad truth is most people are too stupid and not technically capable enough to use the apple os for anything worthwhile.

There are short comings and also positives for both, but the weird uber brand protection by apple is pretty disturbing, how far will it go.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 12-11-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 04 STi AW
Androids software is made on macs since that's all Google uses lol just saying for those saying Apple sucks. If it wasn't for Apple wouldn't have a droid. I have a droid also not an iPhone before you think that.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Agreed with mostly everything said, and while I have a lot of problems with apple mainly because I know quite a few people who worked at the hell hole.

That being said the iOS is far more secure than a regular android phone and the same apps tend IMO seem to be more reliable on the iphone.

Apple has a ton of bull**** they perpetuate including using special hardware and not having operating system discs in store. Pretty ****ty. That being said I also don't forget the days of running software on vista, and how much of a joke that os was. There was a point in time which apple os and macs popular simply because windows was so broken and ****ed up.

Joe just wanted to make sure you know that apple operating system is linux, and if you are more than a home video game user and movie watcher (you posses technical skills) you know the apple OS is far more powerful, modular, than the windows os for anything besides video games and os specific software. The sad truth is most people are too stupid and not technically capable enough to use the apple os for anything worthwhile.

There are short comings and also positives for both, but the weird uber brand protection by apple is pretty disturbing, how far will it go.
Joe is very passionate about his illogical, fact-free, super-biased, wild hate for Apple products. Don't go there.

The last three companies I have worked for have standardized on Apple MacBook Pro and Air machines for all operations and engineering groups - this has been happening since around 2009. They have been realizing great savings since the machines cost around the same as the Dell crap one was buying before, but never break. In 2012, the 8 network engineers I worked with were handed Macbook Pros. In the technical operations group I work with today with a large group of people who manage a Linux based server farm, all of them (as in every one) uses an Apple laptop - a MacBook Pro or a Macbook Air. Many people run VMs of varying OS's that they prefer to use or need for whatever reason.

Some day when I meet a sys admin or network engineer that seems knowledgeable and does not use an Apple computer, I will ask them why - just out of curiosity. I have used Dell, IBM and a few other machines over the last 20 or so years - nothing compares to the reliability and usefulness of a MacBook Pro. The Linux based back-end is priceless. If you dis-agree, you are wrong. Sorry.

If you really can't get rid of Win7 for example, but you are tired of your plastic Dell/IBM/whatever falling apart, running Windows on a MBP will be a much better experience. I learned this from people working at Microsoft while working up in Seattle.

Receptionists and stuff are still given Windows machines and stuff though of course. Every once in a while you will hear someone have to RDP into an old Win server and yell out "UGHHH WHY IS THERE STILL WINDOWS" or something.

Linux is awesome. Fun times.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Car Info: DGM STI
Our company typically offers up a lenovo by default unless requested otherwise by the hiring manager. (Usually hiring manager asks employee preference prior to start date.) Lately some of the dumbass new hires (and newly hired managers) have been getting the standard issue then not using it, requesting a macbook and completing minimal work while they wait for a macbook to come in.

Once they receive said macbook then the f-cking morons complain that they can't any work done. They then request VMware Fusion and a Windows VM so they can run office, word and some other apps that only run on windows & are a requirement of their position. Goddamn I hate people these days.

Glad I don't have to deal with that dumbassedness. Still, the recent track record of hiring nothing but completely retarded people is one of the things that's going to drive me away very soon.