All this suspension talk.. Planning out DD '02 WRX changes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
7k/5k seems downright cushy-sporty to me. I'm on 10k/9k and on Koni Yellows.

Try softening the setting on the Feals?

Swift Wagon springs would be like 4k all around most likely, however at a progressive rate most likely.
7/5 is a pretty solid trackable/streetable rate.

My old car was 16/12 when I first tested them. I called Zeal and said... WTF are you thinking?

8/6 is pretty solid too.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by matthepcat
Well I cranked them down to 3 & 1 clicks from softest yesterday.

It certainly made the ride much more comfortable than at 17/15 clicks from soft.

I never rode them this low before, as I assumed there would be too little damping, and cause too much bounciness.

A few more hundred miles of commuting that I will know if I can hang with this.

Matt
Shock setting rarely ever change a shock that drastically. Most likely the higher settings have too much compression for your taste. Min-max will give you perfectly suited damping. Where you set is mostly just adjustment to taste.

Take koni yellows. They are only rebound adjustable. The compression is a fixed amount. But even the rebound, though adjustable, will make it expand faster or slower, it still mostly feels the same because its in a range.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Shock setting rarely ever change a shock that drastically. Most likely the higher settings have too much compression for your taste. Min-max will give you perfectly suited damping. Where you set is mostly just adjustment to taste.

Take koni yellows. They are only rebound adjustable. The compression is a fixed amount. But even the rebound, though adjustable, will make it expand faster or slower, it still mostly feels the same because its in a range.
In my MR2 with Koni yellows, it was a pretty drastic difference from soft to firm with those. That car weighed around 1,000lbs less than a WRX though, so less mass makes a difference. It was the sort of thing that if my wife rode with me after a track day, she would want me to pull over and adjust them down so she would be more comfortable. That was on Suspension Tech linear springs.

Can't wait to get my WRX back with the Konis in it. I will probably leave my back seat out for a bit.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by Will George
Just picked up some new struts and springs... Wondering if anyone has had experience with a similar set up or just any input.

Tokico d specs, with rce yellows
Whiteline 24mm f/r sway bars, with kart boy f/r end links.
Group n top hats front and rear
245/45/17 potenza pe oi r tires on rota g force wheels

Thanks in advance
Ive been on dspecs and yellows for a little under a year.
Com c tops up front. No sway upgrades. They ride effin nice. I love them I love the look. Everything. But iflycoach just bought them and I will be installing them on his 04 wrx tomorrow in exchange for his stock struts.

The only reason im selling is kinda what matt stated. Really only doing it to scratch an itch.

I bought the hvt coilovers with com c front tops and group n rears.
They claim they are perfectly valved for the GD and ride just as good if not better than the dspecs. (According to tony from tic) not really an unbias source though.

Will be installing next month so ill be sure to write a nice long review on them.

Soft rates and made in USA.
They are AST holland's north america rep.

Some of the race worthy hvt coilover systems are upwards of 5000. Fully automated valving from inside the car.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by wombatsauce

In my MR2 with Koni yellows, it was a pretty drastic difference from soft to firm with those. That car weighed around 1,000lbs less than a WRX though, so less mass makes a difference. It was the sort of thing that if my wife rode with me after a track day, she would want me to pull over and adjust them down so she would be more comfortable. That was on Suspension Tech linear springs.

Can't wait to get my WRX back with the Konis in it. I will probably leave my back seat out for a bit.
Sure. I can feel the difference, but usually comfort doesn't come into play. But I can see that on the mr2.

For me when the rebound is high the car sticks to the road. I left inside tires a lot. The ride is harsh because the shocks won't expand enough, not that the compression is too high.

I can see how too much rebound makes for an uncomfortable drive, but to me its compression damping that most people feel when it comes to how "stiff" the shocks feel.

On my fresh set of konis I've set them I'm the middle. More movement is better for me so far.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:59 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan

One thing that I found with the Koni's is when the dial was turned up too high the springs couldn't compensate for how stiff the shock was so the tire wasn't sticking to the road, but was acting more like a basketball and being dribbled down the road which would lead to tire cupping over time. For my car, I had to dial them back down a bit to find the "sweet spot" for them to where they were working with the springs instead of fighting the springs.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by flukewrx

One thing that I found with the Koni's is when the dial was turned up too high the springs couldn't compensate for how stiff the shock was so the tire wasn't sticking to the road, but was acting more like a basketball and being dribbled down the road which would lead to tire cupping over time. For my car, I had to dial them back down a bit to find the "sweet spot" for them to where they were working with the springs instead of fighting the springs.
Yeah, too much rebound means the shock doesn't expand freely. When I'm racing with that high setting I just lift inside wheel everywhere. Mostly rear, but even the front gets so light its almost off the ground.

So less rebound has given me more move movement overall, and I like it.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Sure. I can feel the difference, but usually comfort doesn't come into play. But I can see that on the mr2.

For me when the rebound is high the car sticks to the road. I left inside tires a lot. The ride is harsh because the shocks won't expand enough, not that the compression is too high.

I can see how too much rebound makes for an uncomfortable drive, but to me its compression damping that most people feel when it comes to how "stiff" the shocks feel.

On my fresh set of konis I've set them I'm the middle. More movement is better for me so far.
Yep - I believe it really depends on the road, and the springs. Tightening rebound means that on a very bumpy road, the car will effectively lower a bit, which can crank up the spring. My pops told me that his understanding was that when used in conjunction with a progressive spring (e.g., Konis and Eibachs on a WRX) that the driver could have "two suspensions" where it was softer and more comfy on every day driving, but once the car got into the back roads and went through a few transitions or over some bumps at higher speed, the tighter rebound effectively pulls the car down and onto the firmer section of the spring.

I mentioned my wife because women and men experience comfort differently. I had been driving the car like this for a while, feeling like it was pretty awesome, but her chest-mounted bump sensors made the ride pretty unbearable for her. Once I dialed out the rebound from the shocks and the douche from my driving, she was a lot happier.

Anyway, I had hoped to end up with a linear spring, but I am excited to get the car back with the Konis and Swifts to see how it works both on nasty roads and fun ones.

Until then, hitting the back roads in my Justy.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
her chest-mounted bump sensors made the ride pretty unbearable for her. Once i dialed out the rebound from the shocks and the douche from my driving, she was a lot happier.
lmao!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Old School

Yeah, progressive feels the best overall. I can't wait for that much compression or weight transfer. Once I went linear I've never looked back lol
Old 04-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
her chest-mounted bump sensors made the ride pretty unbearable for her.
Haha.

I approve as well.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM
VIP Member

I just picked up my car yesterday and have driven it around a bit. It's like night and day from how it was before. So stiff and tight, and I need to drive it a bit more, but it goes around corners like mad.

What was done this time:

-Koni yellows
-TiC Cowl Braces
-Oswald rear brace
-Rear subframe bolts (Shartboy)
-Group-N rear strut tops
-Whiteline Com-C front strut tops
-STi Titanium front strut tower brace (because titanium)
-Loads of new plastic clips
-Piles of new hardware (any nuts/bolts removed are always replaced - East Coast car)

And for a stage-1 weight reduction, they pulled around 3lbs of dirt off the bottom of my car - most of it was stuffed in around the front of the side skirt/bottom of the fender. It was so much that they collected and weighed it.

Struts are super-firm right now so my wife won't get in the car, and my teeth hurt, but I am going to tone it down a little tomorrow.

SOFA KING STOKED!!!!!!!!!!! I just walked into a chair because I was staring at my car out the window. Dreamcar status. I know it's just an old Subaru, but it's exactly what I want, and now it's getting to be exactly how I want it to be. I'm super thankful to have this car, and really glad that it's doing so well these days.

At this point, I want to get a new radiator, need to have an alignment and a tune, need my exhaust to quiet down a little and fix the dent on my fender. That's it. Crazy!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:25 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Yeah, no kidding with the dirt. When I did my RA flaps I got a LOT of dirt out of the fender too. Fozzy wasn't as bad, but was still a lot. At least 1lb per side.

Name:  2011-02-27_11-02-22_696.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  55.6 KB
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
lol, same with me on the dirt. Amazed at how much collected in there.

Glad to hear everything is coming out perfect

Quick Reply: All this suspension talk.. Planning out DD '02 WRX changes.