Is the 2016 Ford RS, and Golf R really the new Evo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:06 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Nevermind. Ya'll can have it.
That's where I am on them. I actually liked the Ford's specs, remembering Ryan got one when he moved back South. That said I know what B.I.L. has gone thru on maintenance on his Ferd. Then factor in the cost of upkeep on a German toy and it adds up.

Pretty much explains why people lease instead of buy these days. I'll stick with what I got despite wanting the hell out of another compact to play with.

Here I thought my new truck had too much telemetrics/nanny-bots.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
First car I've been interested in the past 10 years. I could potentially let my STi go if this RS lives up to the hype.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
I hope they post up some Nurburgring laptimes soon..
Old 02-08-2015, 12:04 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by G_Ride
As long as it works, I'm willing to give it a shot. It could be a really good B Street car in autox.
Still not better than a S2K or C5
Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 AM

Dunno why some people are hating on technology. Look at what Tesla is currently doing with their performance Sedans (Model S D) , I'm truly hoping we'll have a lot of nice Performance Oriented electric cars when 2021 rolls around.

Imagine digital accuracy/controlled torque vectoring capability due to one electronic motor on each wheel. A car like that will turn on a dime, that is if tire tech can keep up. That level of control on each wheel is so much better than the current torque vectoring available (usually brakes, and on more capable systems - clutches). Additionally, it'll lead to less complicated drive-trains mechanically (no diffs, no clutches, no prop shafts, no kludge torque transfer mechanisms) which should be more efficient (less drive-train related loses), reliable albeit with the electronic\control side increasing in complexity. Then again, we are in the digital age.

Last edited by Funks; 02-08-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:06 AM

Name:  ctmzvpcotjlyoi6cmiyo_zpsp1klkynh.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  124.7 KB
Old 02-08-2015, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 90 s13 hb, 87 gts, 08 frontier
Who's gonna be the first to start up f-club.com?

Wait....
Old 02-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Funks
Dunno why some people are hating on technology. Look at what Tesla is currently doing with their performance Sedans (Model S D) , I'm truly hoping we'll have a lot of nice Performance Oriented electric cars when 2021 rolls around.

Imagine digital accuracy/controlled torque vectoring capability due to one electronic motor on each wheel. A car like that will turn on a dime, that is if tire tech can keep up. That level of control on each wheel is so much better than the current torque vectoring available (usually brakes, and on more capable systems - clutches). Additionally, it'll lead to less complicated drive-trains mechanically (no diffs, no clutches, no prop shafts, no kludge torque transfer mechanisms) which should be more efficient (less drive-train related loses), reliable albeit with the electronic\control side increasing in complexity. Then again, we are in the digital age.
All the more to get in your way with what YOU actually want the car to do.

I dislike the way the Evo 9 and 10 feel. I love the way the EVO 8 feels.

I will take mechanical drive train any day of the week. I really dislike the brake based LSD system. If a computer can cut or reduce power to a wheel it will do it when I don't want it to.

Could it be faster than with mechanical system? Sure, it's totally plausible. But will it be as fun? I doubt it. For me drive and the feel matters most. I really like mechanical drive train power biasing. It may be prehistoric, but it feels great.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Looks more evoesque. I'd really have to autox one to see if I like it. If its not super aggressive and spikey on the torque delivery I'll probably like it.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:58 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by justint5387
Still not better than a S2K or C5
Maybe. There's only one way to find out.

Looks more evoesque. I'd really have to autox one to see if I like it. If its not super aggressive and spikey on the torque delivery I'll probably like it.
I'll assume torque delivery will be like the Focus and Fiesta STs.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX

I will take mechanical drive train any day of the week. I really dislike the brake based LSD system. If a computer can cut or reduce power to a wheel it will do it when I don't want it to.

Could it be faster than with mechanical system? Sure, it's totally plausible. But will it be as fun? I doubt it. For me drive and the feel matters most. I really like mechanical drive train power biasing. It may be prehistoric, but it feels great.

Fun in a car or the way it drives or feels is very subjective.
going fast around a corner and phenomenal acceleration off the line and out of corners is what my idea of fun is, and that usually equates to a FASTER car around the street or track.
Wining is almost definitely always more fun losing.
This is why I can not fathom how people can stand driving around the FRZ POS with a measly 140lb-ft torque and claim because it has "good" handling and easily induces oversteer slides from Prius tires that it is a "fun" car.
It is not fun to be passed up by that Minivan up the 680 livermore hill.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)

Agreed. I feel like this is the last generation of cars that will be relatively "analog". Dirt roads tend to exaggerate the issue with all of the electronic aids even more so. While I'm very excited about the Focus RS coming to our shores, and the addition of AWD, I have my reservations about this being serious competition to the STi in terms of the types of roads it can effectively tackle. The roads in the US aren't getting any better any time soon either.

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
going fast around a corner and phenomenal acceleration off the line and out of corners is what my idea of fun is, and that usually equates to a FASTER car around the street or track.
This is why I can not fathom how people can stand driving around the FRZ POS with a measly 140lb-ft torque and claim because it has "good" handling and easily induces oversteer slides from Prius tires that it is a "fun" car.
So your subjective take on the FRZ (BRZ I'm assuming) is just that, opinion. Some of the most fun I've had is in a 165hp AWD car with "Prius tires" (my RS). The fact that you can get it to break traction while maintaining control has proven far more effective at honing my driving skills than a 400whp monster on city streets.

That's not to say I wouldn't love driving one, nor is it to say that I wouldn't mind another 100hp in the RS. I just find that over-tired, over-suspensioned cars are more about being seen than they are about having fun behind the wheel.

-Brian
Old 02-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by sigma pi
Strait trade RS for RS
hahahahahha
Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
I am with you on this.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
hahahahahha
Glad you liked it

Quick Reply: Is the 2016 Ford RS, and Golf R really the new Evo?