i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Wheel & Tire (https://www.i-club.com/forums/wheel-tire-59/)
-   -   Rota MSR Cast 16x7 (https://www.i-club.com/forums/wheel-tire-59/rota-msr-cast-16x7-161918/)

MO REX 04-28-2007 06:46 PM

I was just responding to this post (your first one) and I was 100% correct with my rebuttal.

[QUOTE=Zoeb2s;1845074]The offset is not too low...keep in mind its a 7" wide wheel.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of what the original question was this statement is 100% wrong. The offset is too low.

[QUOTE=Zoeb2s;1845074]A 7" wide wheel with +35mm offset will be at the EXACT point as a 8" wide wheel with a +48mm offset[/QUOTE]

This statement is misleading since the strut to wheel clearance is increased by 26mm. I know you were talking about the fender clearance but I don't know if the original poster does or not.

[QUOTE=Zoeb2s;1845074]As long as these wheels are 5x100 they will work fine.[/QUOTE]

You didn't know anything about the car and you said it will work. Do you track your car? My 02 sedan didn't rub with 17" Rotas (7.5 +48mm) and 225 S03's until I took it to the track.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to show you that all the info in my posts have been 100% correct. I try not to just answer a question literally. Some people don't have much experience with these things and don't know what questions to ask. :)

BTW, I never said they would rub, I just said the offset was way too low and I wouldn't run them.

MO REX 04-28-2007 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=Zoeb2s;1845183]I know people that have put +35mm offset wheels on their subaru...we've done it with our shop STi even.

It should be ok...but i guess it depends on how long u plan on running them too.

its not a suggested setup, but like I said, it has been done.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with you on this one. :) You should hear some noise before they fail.

Angelus897

My car was dropped 1" in the rear when it was rubbing.

Angelus897 04-28-2007 06:54 PM

^ I know you guys can't say this definately, but are we talking about a few months here or something closer to a year before problems start to surface?

MO REX 04-28-2007 06:58 PM

I have no idea since I have no experience with an offset that is that far off. I know my wheel bearings are fine after 105k (85kish with my rotas) but my offset was a lot more wheel bearing friendly. :) I'd think they will last more than a year but I guess it will depend on how you drive it.

Angelus897 04-28-2007 07:03 PM

^ I'd call it "spirited", to say the least. ahahahhahaha.

MO REX 04-28-2007 07:09 PM

I'm with ya on that one. If it's not at least spirited whats the point? ;)

When and if you ever find out update the thread for the next person that is looking for an answer to these questions.

Angelus897 04-28-2007 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=MO REX;1845206]I'm with ya on that one. If it's not at least spirited whats the point? ;)[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[QUOTE=MO REX;1845206]When and if you ever find out update the thread for the next person that is looking for an answer to these questions.[/QUOTE]

Yea, after listening to what you guys had to say, I'll have to think whether I want to run them or just sell them off.

Once again, thanks guys!

Zoeb2s 04-28-2007 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=MO REX;1845188]
This statement is misleading since the strut to wheel clearance is increased by 26mm. I know you were talking about the fender clearance but I don't know if the original poster does or not.
[/quote]

extra room on the strut side doesn't really effect anything, so I didn't really feel the need to mention it.

[QUOTE=MO REX;1845188]
You didn't know anything about the car and you said it will work. Do you track your car? My 02 sedan didn't rub with 17" Rotas (7.5 +48mm) and 225 S03's until I took it to the track.

/QUOTE]

I read his profile and it showed he had a WRX sedan, which is all the info I needed.

Not sure why u rubbed, but I know a ton of people who have ran 235's on the track without rubbing.

maybe you are not running coilovers and your rubbing is on the inside...or maybe not...thats pretty uncommon though, to rub on the outside with a 7.5" wide wheel and a 225 tire.

MO REX 04-28-2007 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=Zoeb2s;1845226]Not sure why u rubbed, but I know a ton of people who have ran 235's on the track without rubbing.

maybe you are not running coilovers and your rubbing is on the inside...or maybe not...thats pretty uncommon though, to rub on the outside with a 7.5" wide wheel and a 225 tire.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I know a lot of people are running bigger with no issues but I am positive my tires are rubbing the fenders. I've had this issue with the OE struts/SPT springs and with my Koni/GC setup (fairly soft 250lb rear) with a RSB set @ 22mm (soft). This year I'm running 04 STI BBS (7.5 +53) with 225 RE01-R's and bigger sways. I've been killing everyone at the track and I'm very happy with the performance of my car (feels neutral) but the rubbing has got to go. If I still have this problem (doubt I will) with the new setup I'll up the spring rates around 50 lbs.

BTW, In the past I was running S03's and they run wider than most so that plus my aggressive driving style may have something to do with it. Maybe I just have bad luck. ;)

MO REX 04-28-2007 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=Angelus897;1845221]Yea, after listening to what you guys had to say, I'll have to think whether I want to run them or just sell them off.

Once again, thanks guys![/QUOTE]

If you plan on keeping the car for awhile I'd sell them. After seeing the new Impreza design :barf: I think I'll keep the bugeye until it dies or buy a 06 STI next. The money you save on the wheels is nowhere near enough to cover the wheel bearings.

I only know what I've read and that is enough to make me steer clear of any wheel that is not close to the recommended offset.