i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Wheel & Tire (https://www.i-club.com/forums/wheel-tire-59/)
-   -   OEM STi Tires in the winter (https://www.i-club.com/forums/wheel-tire-59/oem-sti-tires-winter-74442/)

paladin 09-29-2004 02:43 PM

OEM STi Tires in the winter

Anyone have experience with how bad the OEM STi Tires are in the winter/ice/snow? They sure do look they will be a lot of fun, but I really don't want to spend another 1K+ on tires and wheels at the moment. Just traded up from a WRX to the STi, didn't really think about it at the time :)

Ryan

STi_or_EVO 09-29-2004 02:53 PM

Depends on where you live, how much snow you get, how fast you drive in the snow/ice/cold.. Ofcourse they say that the OEM tires on the STi are "Summer" tires ONLY so you really Should change them but if money is tight and you REALLY have to drive on them just be EXTRA careful...
..My two cents...

netzr0 09-29-2004 03:20 PM

the STi OEM's are crappy on anything but dry pavement.
Get a set of some rotta's and some all season M+S rated tires if you are gonna see any snow in the STi.
think about it, you just paid 32K for this car, don't crash it because you didn't spend the 1K on tires.

STi_or_EVO 09-29-2004 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=netzr0]the STi OEM's are crappy on anything but dry pavement.
Get a set of some rotta's and some all season M+S rated tires if you are gonna see any snow in the STi.
think about it, you just paid 32K for this car, don't crash it because you didn't spend the 1K on tires.[/QUOTE]

GOOD Advise, But if you HAVE to spend ... spend as little as possible and instead of getting wheels + tires .. go with M+S Tires or Winter(snow) tires... ONLY..
thats the only inexpensive way out of (Like netzr0 says) not crashing your new baby...

paladin 09-29-2004 04:37 PM

I do agree with everyone that crashing is out of the question. The stock tires are loud anyway. Thanks for the input. Anyone want some OEM tires? :)

netzr0 09-29-2004 05:29 PM

hehe how much, and how much tred left?
and where are you located?
i like the oems, and for cheap ill use them again

paladin 09-29-2004 05:45 PM

Oh, I don't know how much I'd sell them for, I was kinda kidding, but I guess I probably won't use them. I'm in NW Ohio, and they only have 4000 miles on them. If you're really interested I could take some pics when my wife (and therefore camera) gets home. What's a good price?

gdawrx 09-29-2004 11:11 PM

why not just remove the oems put M/S tires on for the winter, and when summer comes do the switch again. mounting/balancing should only cost 60 or so.

Jejunum 09-30-2004 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=paladin]Oh, I don't know how much I'd sell them for, I was kinda kidding, but I guess I probably won't use them. I'm in NW Ohio, and they only have 4000 miles on them. If you're really interested I could take some pics when my wife (and therefore camera) gets home. What's a good price?[/QUOTE]

\oh wow. nw ohio...you BETTER get all season tires for when it gets cold.

summer tires can not be used in cold weather! unless you wanna wreck the sti.

bezerk 10-01-2004 11:23 PM

mine almost put me into a curb at 10mph (1-2" of snow only) needless to say, the car was parked after that.

paladin 10-03-2004 12:35 PM

Agreed

Thanks again for all of the input, I going to go look for some m+s or something for winter and just swap them out with the OEMs until I can get some more wheels. If anyone selling some gently used winter tires around NW ohio, send me a PM.

Ryan