i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Videos (https://www.i-club.com/forums/videos-142/)
-   -   STI vs GTO (https://www.i-club.com/forums/videos-142/sti-vs-gto-110384/)

pelty 08-31-2005 11:25 PM

STI vs GTO

Anyone else seen this yet? Sorry if it's a re-post.

[url]http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=105773[/url]

Vince25RS 09-01-2005 12:25 AM

DAMN RIGHT GODZILLA STRIKES AGAIN JAPAN TECH IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Vince

AzN121184 09-01-2005 12:31 AM

my friend just got smoked by a GTO in his s2k.

nice find.

Impresive-G 09-01-2005 12:50 AM

haha wow at the end its called a WRX nice

Jumpman23 09-01-2005 01:10 AM

nice vid !

doughboy 09-01-2005 01:36 AM

GTO's sound mean as hell! :eek:

Anyone read the thread about the Edmunds comparo? I wasted 10 minutes of my time reading that pile of rubbish...it's basically GTO fanatics against STi fanatics. Neither will convince the other that their car is better...don't know why they even bother. :rolleyes:

Hurucan 09-01-2005 08:05 AM

The guy in the office next to me has a GTO. Pretty sweet car, huge torque - especially at highway speeds. Not crazy about the looks - on the one hand it's too boring, on the other hand it's freaking purple with purple leather on the inside. Odd combination of accountant and ghetto.

Depends on what floats your boat.

WRX2ndregime 09-01-2005 02:13 PM

if you go to the message board at the bottom, some of those guys are retarded, They have no idea about how fast a car can be with less cylenders. They see 6 litres, V8, and 400 hp and nothing can touch it. Hard to belive that something with more research and developement in motorsports, and just the fact that subaru WRX's have been one of the most bad ass cars everywhere but here for the last 12 or 13 years astonishes them to no end. Plus there is the video where the GT0 runs a 14 flat, and they get a 14.1 out of the STI. Is it just me or are they padding the numbers, Pretty much every STI I've ever seen run at the strip where I'm at is either a 12 second car, or a low 13 second car. While the vast hoards of GTOs are running mid 14's. Either they are sitting there all day trying to launch the GT0 properly to get this number, and running the STI once in comparison launching at 3000rpms, and just calling 14.1 good enough for a 4 cylender. All of these comparo guys have their heads way up their asses. Motor trend and car and driver are so paid off by the Big 3 to say nice things about some of the crappiest cars ever. Car and driver gave good reveiws for the Ford 500, and the new eclipse. That is a total pay off, both of those cars are crap in pretty much every catagory, for how much you pay for them. And a Freaking Focus was on the ten best list for 4 years, eventhough it had 75 recalls. I can understand what they say in points between Evo's and STI's, because there are differences that some people like. But to compare an Evo or STI to some 4 thousand hunk of metal and say that it was a tight comparo is weak. We loose points because a boxer rumble isn't as nice as the GTO's V8 sound. Well guess what Edmonds, the STI and EVo second are probably the two most solid performing cars that have ever been sold in America, ever, Period. These magazine idiots besides some of the sport compact mags, need to recognize what you get for your money. The damn evo FQ400 that is rumored to maybe come here can strieght up kick the life out of a Lamborgini Mercilago, in acceleration, handeling, and beats it in price by 200 grand. That maybe should be some clue to people that our cars are no joke.

doughboy 09-01-2005 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=WRX2ndregime]if you go to the message board at the bottom....Plus there is the video where the GT0 runs a 14 flat, and they get a 14.1 out of the STI. Is it just me or are they padding the numbers, Pretty much every STI I've ever seen run at the strip where I'm at is either a 12 second car, or a low 13 second car. While the vast hoards of GTOs are running mid 14's. Either they are sitting there all day trying to launch the GT0 properly to get this number, and running the STI once in comparison launching at 3000rpms, and just calling 14.1 good enough for a 4 cylender...[/QUOTE]

if you read further into that same thread (;)), you'll note that some people commented on the fact that Edmunds is very conservative with launching cars. this might account for the high quarter mile #'s you took note of. i'm sure that if they dump the clutch like C&D might have, they'd get good numbers too.

the thread and the argument are both retarded...there's no point as either side refuses to concede. what's even dumber is that it doesn't matter which is a "better" car...both cars exist in niche markets and have a rather loyal fan base. discrediting one in favor of the other will of course draw a reaction.

are fans of both cars that petty as to argue over a seemingly pointless issue? :rolleyes:

blkrex04 09-03-2005 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=Impresive-G]haha wow at the end its called a WRX nice[/QUOTE]

ummmm.........impreza wrx sti is the full name so technically theyre right.

glenspen 09-03-2005 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=doughboy]
the thread and the argument are both retarded...there's no point as either side refuses to concede. what's even dumber is that it doesn't matter which is a "better" car...both cars exist in niche markets and have a rather loyal fan base. discrediting one in favor of the other will of course draw a reaction.

are fans of both cars that petty as to argue over a seemingly pointless issue? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

+1

my buddy just got a new GTO, and it is a great car..I can happily beat him in my re-flashed WRX upto 50ish MPH, but then he takes over...it's a different car designed for different purposes but a great car all the same..it's like comparing apples to oranges.

He respects my WRX, I respect his GTO.

that trunk space is a joke though..can't even fit a small suitcase.

dxrat 09-04-2005 12:05 AM

My buddy has a CTS-V with the same engine as the GTO. in a drag race he can't touch my STi but from a roll he pulls, slow but he does pull. They are about the same weight as the GTO.

thunder_sti 09-04-2005 12:51 PM

sti all the way... ran my friends 6.0 at the tracks he ran a 13.96...to slow / no match up at all.. if a gto cant beat an evo or a cobra...no match-up....thanks

Dynapar 09-06-2005 01:04 PM

hehehe i like how you commented about the boxer rumbel compared to the v8.

i think this came down to the stock exhuast. the GTO wants to have the throaty exhuast sound, but the STi has very quiet stock exhuast. should have taken a dill to the STi muffler then compared the two! STi hands down!

i am very amussed by this. as one of my friends is a die hardmuscle car guy (alwasy says subie are slow) same with his dad. cant wait to see him drive an STi.

shrieden 09-08-2005 12:23 AM

Good lord, is it all worth getting this worked up over? They are both great cars, each plays thier strengths very well, I know I would rather drive great distances in the GTO than a hard-edged STi, for fun they both do it in different ways, the GTO's long whellbase makes for very easy power oversteer, but the STi doesn't lack in that department does it?

And to the question of the EVO FQ-400 over a Murcielago. Get real, the only thing the EVO offers over the Lambo is comparable speed for less money, now there is nothing wrong with that, but both you and I know IF you had the money, do you think you would still choose the Mitsu to drive around town in?

Anyway, magazine racing is silly, it should all be taken with a pinch of salt.