Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

What would u do? Tuner review

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Sti
Great info. Thank you. I'll look into getting them flow tested and checked out. They are brand spanking new but I know sometimes you get defective items.

And about the smoke. I'm gonna try a aos to combat any blowby. Read around here it may be a good idea.

Alas, an update. Car seems good for now. I reset the ecu and the cel hasn't came back on (yet).

About my tuner, no call back yet. Maybe there just tired of hearing about my issues or maybe they don't give a rats turd. Who knows? Some weird stories have been coming up, example: they call me and state did I splice in a non factory front o2 sensor. My answer was simply "huh, why would I do that?" there answer "somebody did it".

That caught me off guard for a second and honestly I felt a little disappointed for them even implying I would do something like that. I'm not a backyard mechanic, if I was I would have built this motor myself. I have changed the front o2 sensor but I bought the part straight from Subaru. It's just weird I guess.

Another thing, I'm going to check my fuel pump this weekend. I dropped off a deatchwerks 300 and wanna make sure they did put it in. I had a walbro before and it's pretty old now but that one should be long gone. Just testing some theories of mine. I plan of changing the filter anyways. The fuel pump could be a item causing my issues so I do wanna check it out.

I know I know. I should have more trust in my tuner but recent events and the whole o2 thing has me paranoid. I just wanna be sure.

Thanks all!!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM

AnOther update: I've been viewing cylinder roughness during idle with the AP and cylinders 3 & 4 have seen values as high as 6 so far.. Cylinders 1 & 2 seem ok at the moment. This only happens at idle and happens more frequently if I rev the engine and let the revs drop back down. The revs actually drop down too much and the engine seems to stutter then for a second then goes to normal..

This gives me an idea and a path to follow I guess. Next step for me is to purchase 2 coilpacks, check my plugs, and get my injectors tested.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
i think its time to go lay the smack down
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by WRBluWaffle
AnOther update: I've been viewing cylinder roughness during idle with the AP and cylinders 3 & 4 have seen values as high as 6 so far.. Cylinders 1 & 2 seem ok at the moment. This only happens at idle and happens more frequently if I rev the engine and let the revs drop back down. The revs actually drop down too much and the engine seems to stutter then for a second then goes to normal..

This gives me an idea and a path to follow I guess. Next step for me is to purchase 2 coilpacks, check my plugs, and get my injectors tested.
Since you know it is localized to those two cylinders, you can try swapping the coils from 3 and 4 to 1 and 2. If that makes no difference, then try swapping the injectors in the same manner. If the roughness still persists on the same cylinders, the issues most likely does not have to do with coils or injectors. This may save you some time and money rather than just buying new parts.

-- Ed
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Thanks! Purchased 2 coilpacks from Subaru today for $110 a piece.. Its a small price to pay for the peace of mind. Tried buying four but they didn't have that many in stock. Weekend wrenching, here I come...
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 PM

Got a little antsy and pulled the cylinder 3 spark plug and coilpack. Visual inspection of the coilpack is good. No signs of crackage or arcing when the engine is running. Hmm

The spark plug on the other hand is showing signs of running lean. Another clue that, I believe, may point to the fuel system but I may be wrong.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 PM

Update: Got cylinder 3 coilpack in with no change. Decided not to do cylinder 4 and just returned the coilpack. Roughness on the AP showed values as high as 6. Basically, the coilpacks didn't do anything to help remedy my problem. I did talk to my tuner and this is what he recommended to do. On to the next...

Had a smog test done this morning to get it out of the way before I don't see my car again for another couple of months. My brother is a parts manager as Subaru/Nissan and he had his master tech perform the test. I passed, which is a miracle in my eyes. Thats something to be happy about, I guess.

The master tech took a look over my car and stated its definately misfiring. He also stated the car is burning coolant and the cat is going bad.

More problems...

Talked to my tuner this morning and relayed all the details on my findings. Will be dropping my car off to them again. Within this last year, I've had my car for about 3 months, so it almost seems like I don't have a STi at all. It makes me want to just get rid of this thing, but my heart won't let me.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have went all out. Not too many things bother me but my car is something that will keep me up all night (like it has).

My plan of attack is to take it to the tuner and leave it there until all my issues are resolved, even if it takes them forever to do it. What else can I do other than that?

P.S. The new BMW M3 is looking pretty good right now......
Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Just try one more thing before you give the car to them. Swap the injectors from #3 and #1 and see if the roughness follows the injector. Really easy to do.

-- Ed
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Solution..

Update: I think my long ordeal is over. I'm updating this thread for any other people who experience issues like mine. There are so many misfire threads on i-club with no solution, I thought I would post what fixed mine.

Verdict: Valve clearance

Seems the valve clearance on my intake valves were slightly off, causing my misfire. Only cylinders 3 & 4 showed roughness on my AP. Exhaust valves were also out of spec. What could cause this when I just had my motor rebuilt? Answer from tuner: The build sheet states the clearances for the valves. They believe they accidentally put the left bank buckets on the right side and vice versa.

Oops

I'm just glad its all squared away. Hopefully, all is well with my car from this point forward. For all those looking for an answer for your misfire, good luck! It's definately something that is not easily diagnosed.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Good to see this updated.

Super funny as I have been away from the boards for awhile. I saw my comment in there and was like whoa Ive been here before.

Good to hear car is good now and the problem is resolved. I know it took some time but it looks like the tuner finally got it right.

With a problem like those buckets it should have been a no brainer but I think that would be very difficult to diagnose without going through all the steps Ed had reccommended.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX 2.5 swap/91 Legacy GT
Wow. I just got my car tuned and next day had a CEL and cylinder 2 misfire. Been tracking that mother down for quite some time now. Checked coil packs, plugs, did a tgv delete(thought maybe the motors were messing up and getting stuck) and running a compression check tomorrow, but really glad I saw this! Thanks for the post!!