Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

What would u do? Tuner review

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Sti
UPdate: just left the tuners shop. Unfortunately, my car has to stay to run some diagnostics. (compression and leakdown). They definitely made me feel more confident this time around. Luckily for me, the cAr threw a cel for misfire when I was cooling it doWn in front of the shop. Tuner took me for a drive where the car proceeded to act quite strange - dying at lights and stops, which is unusual because it wasn't doing that on the drive up. Tuner stated some things that made me feel I made the right decision with this place. There gonna take care of me, I hope.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
i would like to know where the work is being done, i know it't not public info you want to give out but it's something we all want to know about haha. Glad they are looking over your car again! I hope all goes well and you get that car running asap!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Update: got a call from the tuner this morning. Car failed leak down test on 2 cylinders. Motor has to come out and get inspected. They believe it to be rings that failed to seal. We shall see. The built block had roughly 7000 miles on her. Thankfully, the car will get new pistons if the block is good or a new block if it is not. Tuner is turning out to be very professional and pretty awesome about this situation.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Car Info: his wife crazy
Originally Posted by WRBluWaffle
Update: got a call from the tuner this morning. Car failed leak down test on 2 cylinders. Motor has to come out and get inspected. They believe it to be rings that failed to seal. We shall see. The built block had roughly 7000 miles on her. Thankfully, the car will get new pistons if the block is good or a new block if it is not. Tuner is turning out to be very professional and pretty awesome about this situation.
Glad to hear the situation is being handled... professionally. Let us know how everything turns out. And as 04caliwrx said, as much as we would like to know who this tuner is, keeping them anonymous is the best decision. It also shows character on your behalf.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by brewsky79
Glad to hear the situation is being handled... professionally. Let us know how everything turns out. And as 04caliwrx said, as much as we would like to know who this tuner is, keeping them anonymous is the best decision. It also shows character on your behalf.
I have always wondered about this logic. If you never post anything bad about a shop are others supposed to find out the hard way. I mean if you are posting accurate information why should it be concealed. And also as a business if you had a unhappy customer wouldnt you want to know so you can improve those areas. Its a fine line though before it just becomes mudslinging. Again this is just something i have always found interesting on i-club.

OP: thats good that the shop is taking ownership of it. and props to you for giving them a chance to make up for it as well
Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by flat489
I have always wondered about this logic. If you never post anything bad about a shop are others supposed to find out the hard way. I mean if you are posting accurate information why should it be concealed. And also as a business if you had a unhappy customer wouldnt you want to know so you can improve those areas. Its a fine line though before it just becomes mudslinging. Again this is just something i have always found interesting on i-club.

OP: thats good that the shop is taking ownership of it. and props to you for giving them a chance to make up for it as well

Im going to use this opportunity to state an observation I have made and an opinion I have formed from it.

I have been on here since I dont know like 2009 at least and have noticed somthing worth saying.

There are a few shops here in the bay area/fairfield/roseville/novato that service our cars "I.E. Subarus" The question always comes up where to go etc. etc.

Lets say I go to shop X The reason I go there is It was the closest to me, and then I built a rapport with shop x owner so I keep going there.

To my point I think we are very blessed to have all the shops that are vendors on this board. There have been some isolated incidents where shop x, or Y, or Z have screwed up but for the most part, and ehre comes my observation they take care of the customer 99.9999% of the time.

So I am a shop X fanboy but I guess what I am saying is thank you to shop Y and Z too, and I dont feel bashing any of the shops on a public forum is warranted unless you have gone to the BBB and filed a grievance and won.

I feel the OP handled this very well, and stay classy San Diego.

Just my .02
Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx
mistakes, flukes, and random problems sometimes happen as long as the shop stands behind their work and fixes the problem and possibly offers some sort of discount or condolence due to the inconvenience on your end they are still a reputable shop. I would say in the end handling how the shop handles how a built motor went wrong says just as much about them as the work they do.

The logic behind keeping their name out of this is that no shop wants to be associated with problems occurring with any type of work they perform, even if they make every effort to fix the situation it will still may reflect negatively on the shop. We don't want them to get a bad reputation for something that may have been unavoidable or not their fault in the first place.

The way you and said shop seem to be handling this shows loads of character on both ends.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I do agree with everyone about disclosing shop names. That information should and will be kept private.

On another note, motor is still getting built and should be installed soon. The first motor, I broke it in slowly (no boost, fluctuate Rpms, etc..)

This time around, think im going with a hard breakin (if that's what they call it?)
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Wow, hope they take care of you. That is a lot of money to spend and not be 100% satisfied.

Derp, posted before I finished reading, looks like they are taking care of ya.

Last edited by queeg9k; 03-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I do agree with everyone about disclosing shop names. That information should and will be kept private.

On another note, motor is still getting built and should be installed soon. The first motor, I broke it in slowly (no boost, fluctuate Rpms, etc..)

This time around, think im going with a hard breakin (if that's what they call it?)
With all of our engine builds, I personally take them out and boost them up to about 10psi within the first 10 miles. I believe this to be the most critical time of the break-in process as it seats the rings. The rest of the 1k break-in is up to the customer and I provide clear instructions on what to do and what not to do. Every engine builder has their own ideas and methods when it comes to break-in, so I would follow whatever your builder recommends.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM

The saga continues....

I officially hate my cAr!! Got it back this past Friday after about 10 weeks of repairs. New motor and all. This thing threw another cel for misfire 3 and 4 while idling. 200 miles on the motor.

I'm guessing it may be fuel related, but I'm just throwing around ideas. I know these issues are really hard to track down. I do have deatchwerks 850cc with a Perrin side feed rail kit with the pyro shield lines. Maybe coilpacks or something? Is this something my tuner can possibly check or should I go out and begin
Purchasing items like a new maf, coilpacks, etc.... I know it's not the smartest thing to do but man I need to do something!

Any ideas? I have yet to talk to my tuner because I'm a little upset at the moment. What to do what to do?

The car actually runs pretty good compared to last time I got it back. The first motor had really reAlly loud piston slap, all the time even after it being fully warmed up. This motor is quiet. Also, I can't feel the misfires this time. The car does shake at idle but not that bad. You feel it in the body of the car but not the steering wheel or shift **** so I'm not sure if it's a real misfire or what..

Anyways, my story continues....
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Another update..

Started my car just now and some white smoke came out of the exhaust. Granted it was only a small burst but something is definitely wrong here. My dom3 is brand new and my coolant looks good "I think?". Is it too early in the motors life to do a compression test? I have the tools in the back of the shed that havent been touched in years.

Also, I want to be sure my crankcase vent lines are routed correctly for my tmic. I have one coming from each head merging with the PCV line, then it connects to the turbo inlet. Looks right but just trying to test a theory.

Problems, problems, and more problems..

P.S. my wife is having the time of her life, she drives a evo x mr 2008 and she just can't stop telling me how my car is such a piece. Luckily, I get to drive her car when mines in the shop so I try to shy away from talking about hers.. Haha
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

What injectors are you running?

-- Ed
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
What injectors are you running?

-- Ed
I do have deatchwerks 850cc with a Perrin side feed rail kit with the pyro shield lines.
DW 850 posted earlier by op
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by johndabrit
DW 850 posted earlier by op
Thanks John!

I would have the injectors tested. We recently had a customer come in a blown head gasket (the first one we've seen on any of our builds). After replacing the head gaskets, the engine was still missfiring and we ended up tracing it to a bad injector. The injector caused the head gasket failure and severely warped that cylinder.

-- Ed

Quick Reply: What would u do? Tuner review